VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
donivan65
slowflapper
jeepwrench
7 posters

Cleaning out gas tank

jeepwrench
    jeepwrench

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2010-02-02

Cleaning out gas tank Empty Cleaning out gas tank

Post by jeepwrench Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:58 am

Without the option of a radiator shop locally to boil out the tank, what are some suggestions on how to clean out the sludge. I now know why they call it fossil fuel because it turned back into a fossil in my tank and pickup tube is blocked solid. The bottom of the tank looks like the Le Brea tar pit. A local mechanic suggested 110 octane racing fuel, let it sit and soak. What say you experts?
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Cleaning out gas tank Empty Re: Cleaning out gas tank

Post by slowflapper Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:03 am

Well, if I was going to do it myself I would follow something like this:
    1) drop the tank and wash out the inside with a hose to get the trash out.

2) Get a gallon of "carb cleaner/dip" from the parts store (the stuff you submerge carbs in for rebuilds) and pour it into the tank to try and dissolve the gunk. You can filter it through cheese cloth or something and reuse it a few times.

3) "If" you can get it clean you can get tank sealer/liner from the parts store and seal the inside yourself. Pour the stuff in, roll the tank around to get good coverage and pour out the excess. Let it dry for a few days and reinstall it.

4) You should probably change the sending unit (unless you can get it cleaned out) and change all the metal and rubber lines and filters from take to carb as well.

I tried to get by on mine without dropping the tank and ended up just doing the entire fuel system from tank to carb. The rubber tank filler hose on mine disintegrated and put large amounts of small rubber particles in the tank, pretty much jacked up the whole system, plugged the lines, filters and the fuel pump.

Make sure the sending unit has a filter sock on it inside the tank (buy them online), put a filter before the pump and one after. If you cant get all the gunk out of the tank yourself you might think about shipping the tank off to have it vatted. You don't want the stuff dissolving or breaking up later and junking up the fuel system while your out on the road.

On a side note, here is a fuel tank repair kit on Amazon for about $70 that has cleaners and sealers with it. If you use the kit let us know how it works Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:22 am

EVERYONE needs to know what the inside of their gas tank looks like,,,,,,,

Cleaning out gas tank Vanaga51
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:46 am

get a new sender & use Muratic acid- it will work good - just use rubber gloves & eye protection & BE Careful. all the motorcycle shops use this .
    jeepwrench
    jeepwrench

Post by jeepwrench Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Mine wasn't as bad as the one donivan posted but it was nasty. The fuel filter was solid, like not even able to be squeezed. The pickup tube was solid. I burned some out with a torch but did not want to get too close to the sender. Someone even told me to use antifreeze straight and let it soak for a week.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:10 pm

The sealer kits use methylethylketone as a pre cleaner, its pretty potent stuff. It might be worth a shot if its available ??
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Digz wrote:The sealer kits use methylethylketone as a pre cleaner, its pretty potent stuff. It might be worth a shot if its available ??

You can get MEK at Home Depot in the paint/solvent section (right beside the rust treatment) Smile
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:48 pm

I use CLR (calcium lime rust) I use the zep version from home depot ($10 gallon). Works great just pour in and let it sit. Best part is when you are done you don't have a mess to get rid of just pour down the drain. I just soaked a rusty chain in the clr and within a day it was clean. I clean bike tanks al the tiem with the stuff Bob
    jeepwrench
    jeepwrench

Post by jeepwrench Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for the ideas, now to pick which one to try first.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:00 am

BEFORE I USED A LINER MATERIAL IN MY TANK I DID A LOT OF INQUIRING WHEN YOU GO TO THE DIFFERNT SITES THEY TALK JUNK ON EACH OTHER. I USED BILL HERSCH PRODUCTS. I USED THEM BEFORE AND THEY ALLWAYS WORKED.FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE T. IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY THEN DON'T DO IT. THESE PRODUCTS NEED TIME TO CURE. I DOWNLOADED THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE I EVEN BOUGHT ANY THING. ALSO TRY YOU-TUBE THERE IS SOME GOOD INFO AND ALSO SOME JUNK. DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND DON'T CUT ANY CORNERShttp://www.hirschauto.com/
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:00 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am