VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
dix
jkr
chester42
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
61econoline
Digz
11 posters

What is "Restored" ?

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

What is "Restored" ? Empty What is "Restored" ?

Post by Digz Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

I was kind of curious as to what everyone thinks "Restored" is. Looking at some of the 5 digit price tags in the for sale section and then seeing them compare it to something "Rare" when it is obviously put together from parts across the production years or actually missing parts just made me kinda think wtf. I can appreciate the work and dollars that goes into what they did but the comparisons drive me nutz. To me a restoration is something that goes back to bone stock original, or as close as you can. Which to me would seem to be a lot harder to do ! Maybe Im just venting scratch
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

What is "Restored" ? Empty Re: What is "Restored" ?

Post by 61econoline Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:59 pm

I would have to agree "Restored" to me means back to original condition .

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:57 pm

i tend to agree digz, the term is used way to freely as is the rare thing. every listing on fleabay is rare , from out west , or both. heck there must not be many classics left out west by now. Laughing
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Restored is to stock, what most of us do is restored modified
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Chris. I think what your doing with the 1st Gen is "Modified Restore"...... lol Very Happy

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

What is "Restored" ? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:54 pm

We have always called it a RETRO MOD.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 pm

restored;
    saved from stupid people and returned their place in history. the open road.

trailer queens are for dumbass people with way to much money.

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:36 pm

I AGREE RESTORED WOULD MEAN BACK TO SHOW ROOM CONDITION ALTHOU WE ALL LIKE TO HAVE OUR OWN IMPROVEMENTS
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm

re·store   /rɪˈstɔr, -ˈstoʊr/ Show Spelled
    [ri-stawr, -stohr] Show IPA

–verb (used with object), -stored, -stor·ing.
    1. to bring back into existence, use, or the like; reestablish: to restore order.
    2. to bring back to a former, original, or normal condition, as a building, statue, or painting.
    3. to bring back to a state of health, soundness, or vigor.
    4. to put back to a former place, or to a former position, rank, etc.: to restore the king to his throne.
    5. to give back; make return or restitution of (anything taken away or lost).
    6. to reproduce or reconstruct (an ancient building, extinct animal, etc.) in the original state.

M1D
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Dan you're right I'm more on the Mod end on the 64, but other than me what I mean about Modified restored is things like adding V8's , front disc brakes , air tunnels etc...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Most of us 'fix them up'.
    Most make changes from the factory issued equipment.
    Many are pretty modified.
    I'm fine with that.
    If you want to see restored cyclops
    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4501907&an=0&page=0#Post4501907

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1h32u2sa46586uura9t4ijoog4&topic=64519.0

The attention to detail and tracking of original parts is waaaaay beyond what most people would consider 'restored' and light years above the typical ad cars.

I'm sure the Ford and Chevy guys can point to examples of this level too.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:23 pm

For those kind of cars it's worth doing a restoration of that kind, with our vans as much as we love them they just aren't worth that much when finished (sadly) we all know this. These is not why we have them to make money. The NOS parts are just to pricey to not go to deep with the $$$. I see nothing wrong with what most of us do to our vans
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:00 pm

Anything I'm gonna do to one is going to be what I call a Ressurection or a Reincarnation. Back to the high dollar For sale stuff, I just think they should be selling them based on thier own merits ,, Not the work of others. A pet peeve I guess.
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2009-12-22

Post by SnarkyPoet Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:04 pm

I think it all comes down to what you love.

My '66 is a low-mileage survivor with nice original paint and interior, so I've only done what was necessary to preserve her and make her safe. I've tried to keep all of the accessories and whatnot period correct. Even so, I've got a stupid amount of money invested.

My '65 was well on it's way to being a street rod, until I blew the motor on a road trip this summer. Now I'm back to the drawing board on that one. It was pretty heavily modified by previous owners, so I don't really feel bad about going further with it.

Either way, I'm never going to get back the money I've put into them. It just goes with the territory.
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:12 am

Not that I contribute all that often I do visit most every day and enjoy reading what everyone here is up to. I also at this time have an opinion on restoration vs. modified vs. rodded/customized that I would like to share for what it's worth. My personal position is that yes there are a lot of ways to tweak any van/car to make it safer with current technology/engineering which I don’t have any issues with what so ever and find a lot of them to be highly appealing but they are not what left the factory. A restoration can be taken to its highest form with the use of NOS parts and deep pockets but most of us are in the position where our pockets are pretty shallow, especially in today’s economic climate. What I want in any vehicle I personally own is to experience what the designer of the given period had the ability to visualize and manufacture. If I can’t find that NOS part for a value that I can afford I will make do with a clone part at a fraction of the NOS part as long as it does not take away from the appearance and function of the original. Sometimes I may find that I have to sacrifice and will, again unless the part is blatantly wrong at which time I will spend the time to restore the original or find and restore a replacement. This is the approach I’m taking with my A100 along with the other vehicles I own.

I’ve no illusion that I will get the value of my labor and dollars spent, I’m not personally in this for the money just for what I have a passion to own and drive. Every vehicle I own represents something to me for what it was and hopefully with time, effort and money what it will be again. I’m over being the hotrod street demon out on the streets some years back and am now happy being the person in the right lane going the speed limit and if I can take side streets to get where I need to go will just to enjoy the drive.

To try to give an example, I know that my A100 wiring harness is not being replicated. I know that there are a lot of wiring kits on the market that I could use and there are a weaknesses in the original if there are plans for aftermarket accessories. As I am going back to original I’ve elected to restore my harness, this means I will completely dismantle each separate harness and connector and build new ones. It will cost me a bit for the wire and it will take quite a bit of time to dismantle and reassemble, the question might be asked; Is it worth it? My personal answer is yes, although it is not cost/labor effective it will meet my objective and represent the original in both appearance and function. Again, it’s just my opinion and approach. Scott…
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:56 am

Well said Scott. I like all the vans here stocker's , rats, modified's. I can say this we all are trying to save these old girls and what anyone does here to save one is OK in my book
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:27 am

Very well put Scott, I agree with you Chris as well. No matter what your taste or plans, a save is a save and that is what’s important!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

What is "Restored" ? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:56 am