VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+49
sundanceuk
jimthefred
66mnecotruck
vanny
RipVanArkie
BlueSteel
Scotts_A100
RodStRace
campin'fool 2
jkr
Gothboy
dodge man
1040imp
transam400
Vanner63
dan nachel
sidspop
Vanadian
kykayaker37
white-lightning
Rayallen
southern man
whopman
Scott
VanninBlaino
Stoopid john
Zuffen
bumpbug
DanTheVanMan
Big W
Nightmoves
kgdb
wylee
EconoUSAparts
sasktrini
Vantastic
toad
Oldsmobubble
Twinpilot001
SDEconoTruck
econopoor
bugeye bob
Sy Hollinshead
dix
austinmodhouse
67a 100 pickup
G-Man
Van Halen
kevbarlas
53 posters

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration

kevbarlas

Number of posts : 60
    Registration date : 2010-12-09

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Empty Re: 1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration

Post by kevbarlas Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:29 pm

February 2013

I got the Lexus sorted. Decided it would be better to get an original Lexus timing belt. It made it a lot easier actually as the belt also had the timing marks on it. Ive had no problems so far so its good to know the engine has a new timing belt on it for when i go to put it in the van. It also passed its mot so its good for another year. If it makes it that far, hopefully I'll be needing the engine sooner than that.

I took a little break from the van the past month. I chose to more than anything. I just fancied doing nothing for a bit. Sometimes when i wake up on a Saturday i feel almost obliged to go and do the van rather than actually look forward to it which is something i must break out of so that's why i was taking it easy, allowing myself to not over do it and destroy the enjoyment i get from it.

Anyway, last week i was finishing work at 2:30pm so i thought seeing as I'm already in my overalls id go to the garage and do something. Now that the front was nearly complete i wanted to set myself a goal of getting that piece in primer by the end of the week. I had a little snagging list of things yet to do , first thing was the drivers seat area, a couple of patches needed welded in.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Bbk82

tacked in place

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Zw10up

Then welded and cleaned

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 330w9xt

I also had to make the little bracing panel that goes underneath.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 27ymxz8

Sorted!

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 J6khvk

Next up was the A-post. If you remember the passengers side was really badly rotten on the inside and i didn't want to take any chances as it wasn't looking too good from the outside of the drivers side.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 1z32qs0

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 M1xfb

Once it was off it wasn't really that bad, but I'm glad i did as it let me take care of the surface rust on the inside.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 8w9nv4

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2u6z1fl

The panel i cut off will also be treated for surface rust.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Lb53s

The lower lip panel was pretty bad though so i thought id replace that little section.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 30a7vo5

Cut it out

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 16jq5g3

Forgot to take another photo before tacking the a-post panel back in but you can kinda see it. Very similar to what i done for the whole waistline on the drivers side i done months ago.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 28slpgy

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 345h40o

Cleaned up again, you could never tell Ive been behind there Wink

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Mtbfk4

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Rs7muu

There was a little piece i had to replace on the drivers seat pan area just behind the door opening.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Mc5cu0

Loadsa rust/primer converter in there so it doesn't repeat its self.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Wprug

Quick template done.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2qdq3jr

Cut it out in metal, one fold and tack in place.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Sza0hw

When i first go the van it had been fitted with a light bar which i wasn't too keen on so I'm not going to be putting it back on. That meant having to sort out the holes that had been put there for it. It looks like the light bar mounts were domed as the holes had been 'pushed' through so the metal was kinda like a slight cone shape.

Here's the passengers side as i had already cut the old one out and never took a photo.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2zir5le

Easiest way to cut it out was using a hole saw in the drill.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 1pfo0x

Then using the same hole saw i cut another disc out from some good steel.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 11uhy60

Tip : if you can make a repair a circle then you will get a lot less distortion when welding.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2w4ah38

Dressed.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 30mwgg4

The paltry seatbelts that were fitted previously were pretty poor. Whoever had fitted them just drilled a hole from the outside so i needed to fill that hole too.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2it652e

Magnets are your friend. They can hold tiny pieces in place and at the right level.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 10zo51d

Finished.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 10mu3dl

Bit of a rusty patch on the floor that i never noticed until now, silly me.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 29az28n

Welded in, forgot to take an after photo (i was on a roll so that's why i forgot to take a lot of pictures)

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2yxge44

Also a bit of the windscreen surround that i of course forgot to take a photo of when it was done. I did fix it, honest.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 32zq1y9

With all those out the way i prepared to prime. Lots of sanding, buffing, grinding, wire-brushing etc..

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 15gazbb

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 24vnxfm

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Spw7wh

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 14o7yme

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Kf4ec5

Then acid was, degrease and tack cloth

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 96evqu

Then i mixed up some primer, I applied it today so i managed to succeed in my goal, woohoo.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 10fxo61

I only applied it to the areas that i was defiantly finished with metal work wise, so that's pretty much just half the front and drivers side interior.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 725f2b

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2881emx

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Wtcbd

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Fcnyhk

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 16kyhcn

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2ur70p4

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 N3st3r

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2hp5zqw

Now all i have to do to the main body is the passengers side. Then, then i can start on the mechanical, slowly but surely i will get there.

Something i have been thinking about. As a lot of you will know that once you are married money gets a lot tighter, especially if your planning to have a family in the future. Ive been thinking of somehow making money from what I'm doing to the van to help pay for bits for it. I really enjoy writing this blog and letting other people see the progress as I'm going. I have had a few people in the past complain about how long the photos take to load or if i can send them higher res pictures so i thought about making a book CD. I hate seeing people that are doing something ask for money and give nothing in return to the person that donates (except a real charity of course). If i made a book CD then i could sell them and post them out world wide. That way anyone can look at the project any time and see higher res photos.

I actually started to make a book a few months ago as i planned to make it a 'photo album' for myself to print out.

Here is a little sample. Click to make them bigger.

https://2img.net/h/oi45.tinypic.com/zjhxyq.jpg

https://2img.net/h/oi49.tinypic.com/2vd61pg.jpg

https://2img.net/h/oi45.tinypic.com/w1oph.jpg

The final book would be in a .pdf file format and the pages would be much larger than these, i think these images are around 50% of the size you will see in the .pdf

It would certainly help me buy stuff for the van. I was thinking of a cost of about minimum £5 including P&P for the UK and about $8 including P&P for the USA, then you could add a little extra if you were feeling generous Wink . I would also post it anywhere else in the world. I also thought i could add my folder of over 1000 original photos at 3648 x 2736 for a little bit extra.

Of course, it all depends on demand, is this something anyone would buy? I imagine the final book would be about 500 pages worth with all my photos up to this point.

To put it into perspective, when i get paid i have about £30 to myself a week and i still need to buy a rear axle, door rubbers, window rubbers, paint, wheel banding, disc brakes, callipers, interior, lots and lots of various consumables etc.... I mean, i know i will get there but if i could make some cash from it then it would be a lot quicker.

Don't worry if no one does want to buy it, i will always keep showing my updates.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Empty Re: 1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration

Post by wylee Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:13 am

outstanding work......
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:26 am

Nice to see some paint going on it, can't wait to see it with color. What color are you thinking
    kevbarlas

Post by kevbarlas Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:08 pm

G-man, im thinking a nice light pastel green and white/cream combination. Something in keeping with the time it was released.

March update

If you rememeber a couple months ago i said i had some exciting news, well the van has been featured in a magazine called 'classics monthly'. Its quite a big magazine in the UK, check out their website (http://www.classicsmonthly.com) Its a good 6 page spread that im very happy with. I wish i could put it all up here to show but due to copyright i cant. The editor has sent me a small image so i can put it on the forum though.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 348odjc

I had a good laugh the day the photos were being taken. Its also gave me a good buzz to keep going. Thanks guys!

The next stage of the bodywork has been the passangers side rear. I started on the lower waist-line. Thankfully its not as bad as the drivers side

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 14ucb5g

Inspect the bad bits and cut them out.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Oiwx12

Measure up the bad.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 5dpgmq

replace it with the good.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2i8vmus

clean it up

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2mq3y8x

And repeat, il let the pictures do the talking.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 J7dpbl

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 1235k3m

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2enc83m

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 6ifi4p

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Judf8k

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 25iuiyg

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2j5jd01

Ok, so now that that is over. My next bit is the rear of the side door opening. The metal here has corroded quite a bit.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Vwsx0k

I had to take a little bit of time to think what to cut out first as there is a few layers here that need to be sorted. First to come out was the door hinge brace.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Vdz3ar

It was a bit awkward getting to some of the spot welds so it looked a bit of a mess when out.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2zsnyxe

Little bit of carefull tapping and some CSI style re-creation i have it back to how it was so i can use it as my template.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2vxj3wn

I placed it to the side and carried on inspecting the rot.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 20p0li

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Rivklc

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2z4lfgk

I needed to cut the lower of the door post out to repair so i thought id put in an extra brace to stop it springing back.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2cnflhd

Next to come off was half of the door step/sill peice. This looked to be a bit thicker than the rest of the bodywork, id say about 2mm. I think i may replace the whole peice with some 3mm like i did with the rear doors.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2eegb9k

Then i cut the rusty peice that held the door hinge brace.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 X3vc6b

This let me get to the 'floor' and rear tub that needs replace. Where they meet they have been spotwelded together and there was a lot of rust between the seam so i though seeing as ive taken it this far i may aswell sort this out before it becomes a bigger issue later. I marked out with chalk where to cut.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 35nd4ap

Finally im left with good metal to weld to in this area.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2chanw3

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Dytb9j

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 3538ivc

And in order of what i need to fix first. I need to make this

The floor/wheel tub. This is actually 3 seperate panels once i break the spot welds.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 29w1na0

Door hinge base

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 33nxgdv

Side step

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 19nuxc

Door post lower
    (forgot to take that pitcure, oops)

Door hinge brace

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Mr9qir

Hopefully the next update i will have all this done.

Thanks for looking. Dont forget to get your copy of 'Classics monthly' Wink
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Congrats on getting a magazine shoot. Wow...not even done and already making headlines. How cool is that. Keep up the excellent work. cheers
    campin'fool 2
    campin'fool 2

Number of posts : 252
    Registration date : 2013-02-02

Post by campin'fool 2 Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Great looking work. You have to be looking forward to that first camping trip!!
    Congrats on the magazine article.

Joel
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:41 am

Great to see the mag coverage!
    I'll have to go in to town and see if the local shop carries that title.
    EDIT: Which # is the one with your project in it? The website says the current one is 199 and they are making a big deal about #200. I'll look thru whichever one is on the stands, but want to make sure I can get the right one.
    As for the CD, I'd be in for that, provide that it included all the photos. I've seen maybe a half dozen of these vans in my life, so I'm not very familiar with all the construction details. The drive and quality of work on this undertaking is amazing and would be great to have a copy of the process regardless of the model being done. I really enjoy that it's a van too!
    kevbarlas

Post by kevbarlas Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:48 pm

RodStRace wrote:Great to see the mag coverage!
    I'll have to go in to town and see if the local shop carries that title.
    EDIT: Which # is the one with your project in it? The website says the current one is 199 and they are making a big deal about #200. I'll look thru whichever one is on the stands, but want to make sure I can get the right one.
    As for the CD, I'd be in for that, provide that it included all the photos. I've seen maybe a half dozen of these vans in my life, so I'm not very familiar with all the construction details. The drive and quality of work on this undertaking is amazing and would be great to have a copy of the process regardless of the model being done. I really enjoy that it's a van too!

It is magazine #201.

April Update,

Last time i wrote i was just getting started on the side door area. All the crap had been cut out and was awaiting fabricated. So, i started on the inside flooring/wheel tub area.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 29w1na0

This section is made up from 4 separate panels, beginning with the easiest bit, i made haste.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 8xvivp

Nice simple cut out.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Hsub2w

Couple of folds.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 29kuv4l

Tacked in.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 117coky

OK, what next, i went for the flooring area around the door.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 286vc4z

Folded the repair panel up and tacked a couple bits of box section to make sure the panel was flush and wouldn't try to move when welding it in place.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 A4vdao

This is the adjoining piece to the previous one, worked out easier to split it into 2 sections.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 505gnn

That got tacked into place as well.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 15n6h6u

The wheel tub is a bit tricky. It has a nice curve where it joins the floor section. I got a piece of sheet much larger than i needed and bent it around a piece of tubing.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2hf29le

Then i got another piece of tubing slightly smaller in diameter and done the same to make the curve a bit tighter.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2lie9zs

Kept repeating the technique until i got it as close to the original curve as i could.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 34dshsm

Then i cut the excess off and folded the lip.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2qu2k5j

Which inevitably got tacked in place also.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 1198adg

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 5vr892

Doh, silly me, i forgot to drill the holes for the plug-welds before tacking. Little tip if you happen to do the same mistake as me. Use the spot weld cutter drill bit to make some holes, cuts a hole in the panel you want and not the other.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Sxhibn

That was that area done, now to sort out the upper section.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Vdz3ar

Once cut off i used it as a template to make the new one. There is actually a lot happening in this panel, quite a few subtle curves and twists.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2h7qk21

Lots of clamps to keep it in place.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 9zufy1

Welded up.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 15g7zms

I had been welding the floor section up at the same time. Doing it in little bursts to minimise distortion and letting it cool.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Rizvc0

Then cleaning it up a little.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2rwth7r

Third thing to do was the side door opening sill/brace. It was made from roughly 2mm sheet so i decided to go stronger.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Rivklc

Using more of the 3mm plate from work i went to my old work place and used their sheet folder .

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 34y4i8o

Doing this meant i had to cut the remainder of the sill/brace out.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Rbbb83

Which meant i could clean up and repair the outriggers at the same time.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 X3g4jp

Lots of holes for the plug welding. I don't want to be the person to take this off. (hopefully that will never be needed anyway.)

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 264gjg0

Welded the door latch post piece back on as well and cleaned it up, nice'n'strong now.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 68wvio

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2zqekc5

Getting there, this little piece was the next up.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2dhvewy

Made a couple of sections using the original as a template again.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 K9gkdy

Then a 10mm strip for the edge.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2ekoyoo

Looks horrible eh, soon get that sorted.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Neb0yg

I put the back piece repair in first on the body using my good'ol chums "the magnets".

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2cqziut

Tacked in.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 J5js0h

Then a quick skim with the grinder.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Snl1kz

Last bit to fabricate was the door hinge brace.

Unfortunately i forgot to take photos as i was making this, so eh, well, here it is finished. Just done the usual, made a cardboard template, cut it out of metal, few taps with the hammer and then its done.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2jb5poh

Stuck it in place and tarted it up a bit to look good.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2lse8e8

And that was that! Side door area done.

I decided to give myself another little boost and see how the side door fitted after all that. So i cut out the half the diagonal brace on the inside as it was obstructing the door opening at the top.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Smv8mf

Bootiful!

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 14ij5fs

It even opens, see!

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2u4pm5g

Then, just to get an idea of it again i placed the side panel in place to get a feel for it.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Zsx2pv

Looking good, but here's the real test. Can it hold 13 and a half stone of pure muscle?

Apparently so,
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 35iyryx

That's all for this time. Ive been dragging my heels this month really. I could of had more done but for some reason i just haven't felt that too much into it. Never mind, I'll get my mojo back. To be honest, i haven't got a lot of work left to do to the main body of the van now. Just the passengers door opening and a couple of bits around that area. Then its onto the mechanicals to give me a break from sheet metal for a bit, woohoo!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Great job!
    Thanks for the info, I found that the local news stand does not carry it, so I ordered it as a back copy from the website. 6.30 Pounds with no added shipping when ordered. For us Yanks, it's $9.60.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Great to see all this hard work paying off now, Once you get color on it you will be pumped to finish it. Can't wait to see the paint, those colors should look great
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Great workmanship as always. Can't waite to see this on wheels. Don't loose faith Kev, your hard work is paying off and we are all root'n for ya. Builds like yours, gives the rest of us insperation to tackle any kind of rust issues we may have. Your making it look easy...lol.
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:09 am

Kev,

I'm an avid follower of your project and am always amazed at the backyard methods that you utilize to turn out such a great looking job in the end. It really shows what amazing vision and skills you have. Just on heck of a great job. Scott...
    kevbarlas

Post by kevbarlas Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm

April update - part 2

More metal work plus a little extra good news, info at the end.

I've been determined to get the back end of the van finished so the last part to do was the cut out on the wheel arch. When i had done this one on the other side i had made a bit of a pigs ear of it. I went about it the wrong way and made more work for myself so this time i was determined to do it better. Instead of welding a few sections together to make the panel i opted to make it from one panel. So, first thing was to drill the rivets out of this panel. These were added by Dormobile to make space for the seating arrangements.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Neg4mh

The aluminium panels are nicely made but they were quite rough when it comes to cutting metal out. Looks like its been burned out and the edges just left rough.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Fc40gy

I broke the panel down into its measurements and drew it on to a sheet, then i cut it out.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 K45dx

A few folds in it then tacked it in place.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 3462s0k

Then tidied up. I took a bit more time working this panel out and it paid off with the fitment.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2vl0dhz

I had a little bit left to do on the flooring section at the side door to finish.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2cz4qd1

Use the old bit i cut out as a template.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 64qxec

2 folds and its done, nice easy patch.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2wr3jpf

Then welded in place and cleaned up.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 29xhhrk

With the rear complete i moved forward to just behind the passengers seat area. Forgot to take before pics of these, this area has 3 panels that meet together so i cut out all 3 sections out at once.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 199i7o

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Whgn08

These are the sections to make up.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 K9cjzk

So, get rid of the rust, tidy the area up a little and spray on some weld-through primer.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2ldgfsy

Nice simple patch, no folds or anything.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 91a34z

weld it up.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 28irp1k

Smooth it down.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 I6a88p

If you remember when i was doing the other side i had to make this whole panel up. Fortunately the passengers side wasn't as bad and just needed the bottom part replicated.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 25slmva

I started by getting a scrap piece of sheet and putting it in the vice and bending it over by hand. I didn't want a crisp edge, just a gradual curve.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2w5k302

Then i clamped the fold line in the edge and used the hammer and a piece of wood to form a lip. Then i cut a few lines to make folding the curved section easier.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 8xrlnn

Welded in place.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 M7fhn7

Then cleaned up a little, I'll neaten this up again later to smooth it in better.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 1zv3jmw

I also replaced the other section i cut out, forgot to take photos of it as i done it though.

Thankfully this is the last piece of waist line section i have to replace. Just as corroded as the others.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2n1fbb4

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 219w3np

Done the usual, cut out and replace.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 I5d4eb

The other half.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Fkab7a

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Ixtk6a

Just behind this panel was another bit needing done.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2ykjg4h

Put in place.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2z7na8k

Then i had a little bit of the door post to contend with.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 28jxq1h

I peeled back the lip and cut out the rot. Then welded in a nice bit.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 20ucymd

Buffed it down.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 In7oev

Nearly finished with the main body, im hoping for the next update it will be complete and i think I'll have to have a celebration.
    I also bought myself a new toy. I got a pillar drill form a mate who is a fabricator. He sold it to me for a very good price along with a 12 ton pipe bender (roll cage!!) and a plumbers pipe bender. Really grateful for things like these at good prices. The drill is one of those ancient ones that never fail and always stay true. So much easier drilling holes in panels.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 1z6d46a

Now for the big news! I got an axle for the van. It started out by me asking a mate who is also restoring a Ford Thames about one of his Scimitar projects he had. I asked if he would sell me the Scimitar axle but at the time he had other plans for it. Then a couple of weeks ago, i was having a crap day at work when he phoned and told me i could have the axle for free, which really cheered me up. Only problem was, i had to take the whole car.
    A bit of a dilemma as i really wanted the axle but never had anywhere to put the Scimitar and i really didn't want to just rip the axle out and scrap the Scimitar as i hate seeing old classics being destroyed. I decided it would be best to see if i could find someone who was looking for a project. I put an Ad on a few forums saying i have a Scimitar for free, but i want the back axle, 4 link, shocks and watts linkage. After a few days a guy from rodsnsods contacted me and he came along and had a look at the car.
    The next day he phoned me up to say he would take it complete, then when its at his i could go down on the weekend to take off what i want as he has an Aston martin axle waiting to go on ( fancy). A few days later, phoning to confirm i was still going along he told me he was bored and has already taken everything off for me, bonus! So, on Sunday there, me and my brother headed along and picked the axle up. The guy was really sound, if a bit eccentric. I'm just really glad to know that everyone has won in the situation. The car has gone from its previous owner who just wanted it out the way. I have a back axle and someone else has saved another car from the crusher.

Here is the axle, infront of it is the standard Thames one, you can see the pigs head is a lot chunkier.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Fqx6d

Then my Bro helped me to put it roughly in place under the van. Looks good, forgot what a wheel looks like in there.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2cn8rl

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Ay7wah

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 I6z7yv

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 20fojki

Looks like i will be needing to cut off the 4 link bracket and putting a new one on a few inches closer.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 3g8ja

There is a lot going for these axles. They are a Salisbury unit that can cope with 400bhp standard, not that il ever need that much, just good to know its tough. They are also heavy, which is good for me as there wont really be a huge amount of weight over the rear wheels.

Thanks everyone!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Question are there any Thames clubs over there??? Sounds like they are rare, but I would like to see more of these vans
    kevbarlas

Post by kevbarlas Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 am

There is one main club for Thames. http://www.thames400e.freeserve.co.uk/

Wee tiny update, I know I said I'd keep the next one for when the front end is done but this update is a little different.

When i was doing the drivers door opening, a few people were asking me how i done the door rubber channel

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 1jam3k

So i thought id try my hand at making a video. The video describes how i make this piece from scratch.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2h39e0k

I describe how i make the panel. It might not be right or the best way to do it but it works for me. The video is about 45 mins long. I was going to edit it to make it shorter but i thought its best to just leave it and you can skip bits yourself. I wouldnt make a good presenter or director, thats for sure. Also, i tend to talk quietly but the hammering is pretty loud so you might want to adjust your speakers.
    Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzCubyqqRU
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2013-05-15

Post by BlueSteel Sun May 26, 2013 11:40 pm

wow, I feel like I somehow violated the sanctity of this whole process by blasting through the adventures you chronicled over the past 2.5 years in under an hour. Glad that I got to partake in this! Thank you!
    kevbarlas

Post by kevbarlas Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:29 am

June update. 

I've had quite a busy past few weeks. Had to skip a few weekends from the garage to move house. I only moved a few houses down to escape the benefit sponging neighbours and their kids that lived above me. So im a lot happier now and not so on edge anymore, phew!. The times ive managed to get to the garage have been busy. I was wanting to wait until i had sprayed the primer on the whole van for this update but i just checked and i have about 70 photos already so thought it would be wise to split this update for now. 

I continued on the last few repairs to the body at the front. This is the little lip that runs under the door opening. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2rm8di1 

Then welded in. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 K99sll 

I the tackled the last major piece of work. The rotten front corner and step. I had already done the drivers side but this one was a bit worse than that.  

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2s9cd3n 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Jaynhv 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2l9r3o0 

I started by cutting out the crap to give me a good base to start rebuilding from. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2w2kb9i 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2n6t2rk 

As i was cutting the door post away on this side, i needed to put a brace in to stop it moving. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Of68oi 

carry on chopping. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 5xip21 

So, this is all what needs to be replicated. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Bhkkck 

I begun with the inner box section as everything else attaches to it. I measured all my sizes and put it on a nice piece of 1.2mm. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 333lpip 

Then folded all the lips up. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 6gc3mf 

Little bit of weld through primer and stuck it in place. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Qpsac8 

I made my little YouTube video for this section and just realised i never took any photos of me doing it. If you missed the video its here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzCubyqqRU 

I made the front section larger than i needed so i could cut it down to size once fixed in place. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Wlt5pw 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Rm8m1l 

Then i worked on the rear of the panel. I had to make the little panel to fill this gap. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Nwmp3n 

Cardboard template came in handy for this. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2rc8kef 

I reused my jig from the previous side to get the curved channel. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2myou2u

The next weekend , Jana decided she would come down to keep me company. I gave her the old seats to strip down. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2m7es61 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2wgtxuh 

One of the better things about the wife coming along is the packed lunch she makes, yum! I usually end up just walking to the shop and getting a packet of pickled onion crisps and a red-bull but that day i had about 4 rolls, crisps and coffee, good woman Wink

Welded up the whole step panel. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Eq42lj 

Next up was the door post section. I cut all the rust away from the old post so i could re-use as much as i can. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Mip9mx 

cut out the new piece, ready to get folded. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2wq78xy 

The fold it and weld to the old post. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 4tu2b5 

And tack it to the body. I had also tidied up the front section of the panel by this point. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2ljj4wk 

Wee bit of primer. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Dczlhk 

Now to do the corner piece 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 30vnh91 

Make a new one. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2lwn6lw 

Get it stuck in. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 16h46xv 

I rolled the van over so i could tie in all the pieces underneath and weld them up. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 1e9wr9 

Tack the pieces i removed for access earlier. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 15g2j6c 

Outer corner being assessed. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2w1w7za 

Trying to use as much of the original as i can. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2s00m83 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2q0k5tx 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 N6l3d 

Then get it stuck in place. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2r6e7ma 

Nearly done with the front corner.  

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2rfx8ie 

As there was a bit of welding to do here i started to repair the front light bar hole. I wanted to minimise distortion so i let the welds cool and worked on this at the same time. 
    Exact same process as the other side. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2wcpixs 

Use the hole cutter to make a Nice hole for repair. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Eg762u 

All welded. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2q0mvjn 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 5myd05 

And cleaned up. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2ppndjt 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 S46s8l 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 30k8ry8 

With the major hurdle out the way it was just a few little pieces to replace. 

Little bit under the grill opening. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Fx9wds 

Cut it out and shrink/stretch a piece of angle. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2a6laxf 

stick it on. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2uikpd4  

and clean it up 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Jq23o8 

The corner of the grill opening was rotten too. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 9pt9xf 

This is a good example of how something can look not bad on one side but far worse on the other. 

"meh, not too bad" 
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Kd4w1l 

"bugger" 
    1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2elfqbn 

I traced the rough shape of it on to a scrap bit of 1.2mm with a lot of excess to enable easier folding. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 214nucy 

Then trimmed it and tacked it. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2vto7ko 

A little back piece completed the area. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2z6yurt 

And now, with out further ado. This is the last, yes thats right, the last rust section to repair on the body. Around the windscreen frame i found this. Actually, just realised something. The first area i tried was the windscreen surround so to finish on another part of the surround some how seems quite fitting.  

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2qkjgd4 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 N4y60y 

So there we are. All major body work on the van body is done. 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 4l2khk 

Its only been 3 years...... yeah i could have done more if i never had a full time job and life to get on with but i feel its an achievement. I really want to get on with spraying the epoxy primer on now, to me, that is when i will feel truly happy with it. So im going to go along today and make a start on the prep.  

Oh, when i had finished the roof of the van i started to collect all the little piece of the body i cut off. So heres a little collage of about 80% of everything i had to repair , minus the roof sections.  

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2updcnm 

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Mwtwlj 

Not long and i get to start on the mechanical side, yippee. Although, that means i need a new car. I have seen a car i really want and im considering buying, its a bit unusual so thats cool. I'll post pics if i buy it.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 am

Amazing
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:12 pm

Totally awesome man. I can't waite to see it all in primer. Been fallowing along since you started and just amazed at all the work you have had to do on this old girl. truly a labor of love.cheers
    Zuffen
    Zuffen

Number of posts : 165
    Registration date : 2011-07-28

Post by Zuffen Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 am

Hats off to you.

Truly outstanding work.

Now all you have to do is the rust repairs on all the doors!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Great work!
    I got the UK mag, still haven't pulled it out of the wrapper yet tho!

How are the laws over there for donor cars?
    Can you go to a place like this?
    http://ukscrapandsalvage.co.uk/#/sell-scrap-lotus/4574735620
    Or maybe just advertise for a car that suits your needs?
    kevbarlas

Post by kevbarlas Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Rodstrace : I already have my donor vehicle, im driving it right now as my daily driver, its a 1993 Lexus LS400. We can do that though. Although if you use a scrapyard (junkyard) the cars are generally what we call a "right-off" it means its been registered as crashed but theres differant categorys depending on how damaged. The less damaged are allowed back on the road but the worse are not. Better off buying a road legal car and stripping that. 

June part 2 

Ive been busy this weekend. I really wanted to get this stage over so i was determined to get it all done. 

With the body finished i started to prepare the shell for the primer.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 34i1ik8

Quite a bit to get it ready.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Ixt4bp

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 S4ovif

I went to my work and borrowed the D/A sander and smoothed down a lot of the inside. I used a combination of sander/wire-brush/wire-wheel and polyabrasive discs.  

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2njd45t

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2evg938

I then went over all the bare metal with the acid to eat any leftover pitted rust and then loads of water followed my degreaser.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 244s7k6

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 N5r2bs

Then the bit i have been waiting ages to do, the primer! I even bought myself a mid-range spray gun for it. Need to stop borrowing the works stuff so often. I used up the remaining litre and a half i had left.

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Aake9x

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2vl2qrl

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 239rwy

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Xtxz7

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 9778k4

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 X4i004

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 2vsouaq

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 Sgjzbb

And one with your handsome host Wink

1959 Ford Thames camper van restoration  - Page 7 51zec1

Now i am happy. Now that the primer has been applied on the whole body i feel that this chapter has ended for me. Phew, what a relief. I look forward to starting on the suspension.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 pm

your work has been worth following. you are a master of the  sheet metal.

Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Congraduations Kev! What a milestone. It's been wonderful watching you learn and seeing improvement in every post. Then your confidence grows as you near completion. Can't wait to you start the next phase. Every pick a color????

Duane in Tennessee.
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Wow!!!!is all I can say on all the work done. I can't waite to watch the next stage.cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:03 pm