VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Econoline camper conversion

Optik
    Optik

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2010-06-15

Econoline camper conversion Empty Econoline camper conversion

Post by Optik Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:56 pm

I've found an early Econoline in a local junkyard that has the aluminum pop-up top, it appears to be one of those Travelcruiser or Trav-co conversions. I've only seen it through the fence at this point, haven't been able to get in and get pics yet. Its a two-tone turquoise and white window van and the top half that I can see looks to be in pretty decent shape. Thinking about trying to buy it outright if the condition is good enough. Windshield *looks* uncracked and all the side glass appears to be in good shape. One headlight grill is visible and its still shiny. Small dent above the headlight on the driver side. Problem is that it is like 8 cars deep all around and I'm worried that if I buy it they will go in with a forklift and ruin it.

Questions: (i'm a early chevy guy so I don't know much about econo's)
    1. how do I tell the year by the vin?
    2. where to look for a build sheet?
    3. is the camper conversion rare enough to make this van worth saving? or is it basically just a window van with a huge hole in the roof?
    4. if its not worth saving as a whole, what are the desirable parts I should be looking for to pull and sell?

Thanks guys! if all goes well I might be adding a ford to my fleet by new years!

-Tim
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Econoline camper conversion Empty Re: Econoline camper conversion

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:19 pm

AH-hah! You found one of my parts vans,LOL. I ve been robbing parts off that 65 Travelwagon for years. Its a junker for sure and filled with nasty flying insects every summer. He wont sell it whole or I would have already had it. Assuming this is the one up by G.E. Evendale. It used to be very accessible a few years back but then he buried it over in the corner and the high weeds. I got the column and shift rod out of it 2 years ago for one of the local Falcon Club guys that bought a van. Its a 170 engine and the small 7" rear end. Word spread and a few others have robbed parts off it since.
    Optik
    Optik

Post by Optik Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Tim, I realized as soon as I posted this that you probably already knew about this one. I wonder if this yard doesn't sell any whole cars? there is a decent-looking orange firebird T/A in there that looks pretty complete, still got the TA/Z-28 style mags on it.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Very few yards in this area even have any early vans in them. I did buy one 2 weeks ago from a yard down near Ky Speedway but at first they said no way. Most of em dont like selling the whole thing versus parts,afterall,parts is their business. Madmans in Ross,Ohio had a few but I havent been out that way for over 10 years now. There are zero I know of in yards now in N. Ky. except for 2 totally trashed ones loaded with driveshafts at the yard I just bought one from. You cant even get in them they are so full and they are laying on the ground in high weeds. Typical for this area.
    Optik
    Optik

Post by Optik Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Did you get the early econo in that yard that had the vista cruiser roof on it? I've tried to get to Madman's before but I think they have been closed down for several years now??
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Optik wrote:Did you get the early econo in that yard that had the vista cruiser roof on it? I've tried to get to Madman's before but I think they have been closed down for several years now??

No,that things a basket case and loaded down to the hilt. Did you see the Fairlane tail lights on the other one next to it? Neither of those vehicles are going anywhere soon. Maybe when the racetrack forces them out but not until then.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 am

Proabably correct- Travel Equip. corp sold many of these kits to dealers - Ive got a 1961 econo with same & a 1967 chev g-10 with same . i personally would try & get the complete top from the yard- even if u had to rebuild it.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:40 am

Not sure if they are worth very much. Mine was damaged somewhere between the USA and the UK, so i removed what was left of it. It didn't look like it was made particularly well, and the cutout around the roof was done with a chainsaw by the looks of it.....!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:57 am