VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Magic Bus
Digz
EconoCarl
donivan65
southern man
delraydoug
10 posters

broken exhaust manifold bolts

delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

broken exhaust manifold bolts   Empty broken exhaust manifold bolts

Post by delraydoug Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:30 am

my simple exhaust leak fix now on its 3rd week. the exhaust manifold had a little leak so i figured 8 bucks for a new gasket and 1 afternoon and it would be done - was i wrong after soaking them for a week with penetriating fluid and heating them up with a torch 6 out of 12 broke off now i have to get in there and drill each one of them out. - what a job this turned out to be - No
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

broken exhaust manifold bolts   Empty Re: broken exhaust manifold bolts

Post by southern man Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:57 am

I had the same issue.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:20 am

You might try welding a nut onto the broken stud and hope that the heat and nut will let the stud unscrew,,,,,,,,

broken exhaust manifold bolts   Repair88
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Same thing happened to me with the white Econoline. Was at a buddy's shop to do a simple exhaust gasket replacement. Broke half the studs off too! Without hesitation, I pulled the head off and took it to a machine shop for them to deal with it. They got half out OK and heli-coiled the rest. The money spent was a lot bettter than the headache would have been if I tried to do it myself.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Another trick similar to Dons is to take a piece of heavy guage sheet metal strap about 6 inches long, center drill it and mig it to the stud if its broke off flush or protruding. This is easier to weld than down inside the nut and you can tap back and forth on the ends to hopefully ease it loose, again this is hoping the heat during the welding helps. It does not always work but I have had success on anything from a caterpillar engine to rusted in bumper bracket bolts.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:55 am

Mine was the same.. It looked like way too tight quarters for me to start drilling down in that manifold...

I took off the head and after much penetrating oil and wrestling I finally got the manifold off... turns out that the problem was that the studs were rusied to the inside of the hole in the manifold... once I got the manifold off the rest of the broken studs came out fairly easy....good luck..
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Post by delraydoug Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:20 am

finally got them all out. took the starter & alternator off then then loosened the bolts on left side motormount bar and removed the right side bolts lowering it to rest on leaf spring this put the motor at just enough angle to get in there with a regular hand drill . after drilling tap out retreading all the holes
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-03-14

Post by BloodyKnuckles Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:22 am

delraydoug wrote:finally got them all out. took the starter & alternator off then then loosened the bolts on left side motormount bar and removed the right side bolts lowering it to rest on leaf spring this put the motor at just enough angle to get in there with a regular hand drill . after drilling tap out retreading all the holes

Wow! That's a great idea! I will be using this way when I do mine which will be within the next week.

BloodyKnuckles
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Post by Magic Bus Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Dude you shoud get some kind of VV bloody knuckle award for the month of october....You drilled and tapped all of them while it was in the van?? YOU DA MAN!!!
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Post by delraydoug Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:49 pm

i just want to get it drive able and put it on the road . i feel like im going in the wrong direction every week i am taking something off or apart
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:45 pm

Don't feel bad, just rebuilt my carb, now my radiator is leaking. One step forward and two steps back.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Post by Magic Bus Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:46 am

These things are really old and a labor of love... When I first got mine it was a mechanical nightmare.....I was slightly fooled because somebody had spent a lot of time sanding and prepping the body to paint it so I thought i must not too bad mechanically....Ya right!... Fix the exhasut leak...like you did...then I see freeze plugs....leaking... even in the head...then the rocker gasket...then the carb...then the front seal...might as well throw in a timing chain while Im at it... fuel pump...distributor shot...clutch....harmonic balancer...driveshaft was bent... master cylinder shot....all the wheel cylinders...hydraulic brake hoses...tie rod ends.. king pins...and the axle itself....steering box was shot..

But hey its got a good heater and windshield!

Im tired of typing ....now that the clutch is laying on the bench after just having the flywheel turned...... Very Happy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:45 am

It's the same way in Chevy land, fix something find another problem. The repairs almost always take 3 times longer than you think. I guess it part of being a early owner
    toad
    toad

Number of posts : 355
    Registration date : 2010-05-30

Post by toad Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:56 am

Magic Bus wrote:These things are really old and a labor of love... When I first got mine it was a mechanical nightmare.....I was slightly fooled because somebody had spent a lot of time sanding and prepping the body to paint it so I thought i must not too bad mechanically....Ya right!... Fix the exhasut leak...like you did...then I see freeze plugs....leaking... even in the head...then the rocker gasket...then the carb...then the front seal...might as well throw in a timing chain while Im at it... fuel pump...distributor shot...clutch....harmonic balancer...driveshaft was bent... master cylinder shot....all the wheel cylinders...hydraulic brake hoses...tie rod ends.. king pins...and the axle itself....steering box was shot..

But hey its got a good heater and windshield!

Im tired of typing ....now that the clutch is laying on the bench after just having the flywheel turned...... Very Happy

Thought I had it bad..... affraid
    bendone
    bendone

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by bendone Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:30 pm

That is the Fun of owning an early. Just remember they are a lot easier to work on than most of the late models.
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Post by delraydoug Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:04 pm

yep i thought a van woulld be alot of fun to work on something differant i was thinking of all things you can do with the interior and working with wood and rug, fabrics . well first things first

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 pm