VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Tie Rod End

Tie Rod End Empty Tie Rod End

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Greetings!!
    As some of you know, I brought my project van to Taz Fest and had an upgrade of front disk brakes and a 700R4. A HUGE step forward for me, and a big thanks go out to Taz, RD and a gentleman from Wisconsin who’s name slips my mind me currently.

Anyhow, we found that a tie rod end on the drivers side was loose, attempted to tighten to no avail. Thought it maybe a bad drag link, and towed the van back home. Since Taz Fest, I got the front end cleaned up and painted. The spindles all cleaned up, the calipers painted and am ready to re-install the drag link.

I removed the old tie rod ends, they were obviously bad. Went to advanced auto parts new store here in Davenport and got both sides, new with lifetime warrantee for 35.00. Brought them home and I think they will work just fine, tighten the clamps and life should be pretty good. My question however is:

1. How far do I put the tie rod ends in?
    2. Where is a good place to measure to ensure proper placement of the ends?

Any assistance with installing these would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Jake
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Tie Rod End Empty Re: Tie Rod End

Post by panelmanrd Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:15 pm

jake start with the tie rod ends in about with half thier threads
    sticking out, install on the van then measure the width between
    the tires ahead of the axle and behind of the axle at the same
    heidth off the ground, adjust so the front measurement is
    1/16 to 1/8 of an inch narrower than the rear measurement.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:27 pm

That sounds like a plan,,,,,,kind of see how many threads that stick out on those old tie rods and screw the new ones on the same amount to start,,,,,,I built a toe gauge out of conduit and copper fittings to measure the rear of the rims and then move it to the front side and see that the measurement says that the fronts of the tires or rims are 1/16 - 1/8" in from what the rear was,,,,,,and turn that center link until it does,,,,

Tie Rod End Vanaga24
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:29 pm

the front disc brake modification will make the front wheels wider
    than the rears. measure between tires behind and infront of the axle,
    make the front measurement 1/16 to1/8 shorter than the rear.
    It is the way the alignment machines measure it, they just do it
    electronicly. some vehicles have the width on the front axle wider than
    the rear. not always the best way to do it, tire sizes also make a difference
    when comparing to the rear width
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:22 pm

I am talking only about the front of the rims and the rear of the rims on the front wheels,,,,,,the 3 oclock and the 9 oclock positions,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:55 am

One way we have done it on trucks is to take some soap stone or even a ball point pen, , jack up the tires enough to spin and scribe a line at the center of the tread by spinning them then use a tape measure from that point at the front and back, it is a 2 person operation tho. pretty much eliminates any deviations from bent rim edges and wavy belts in the sidewalls. Just another approach.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:59 am

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the assistance. It's funny, I am much more fluent with woodworking than auto mechanics. Once I read RD's first post, my thoughts were directed to making a "jig" to measure accurately. I also found another answer in the posts, I shouldn't need to take off the drag link to adjust it. I would need to have them be basically even on both sides and simply turn the drag link. Hopefully not reading into it too much. I would also like to mention the need to use anti-seeze on the ends. I found that bit of info doing an internet search on installing tie rod ends. Oh and one last question, are the clamps removable? I did get the bolt loose, but really didn't get the clamps to move.

Thank you very much for the info, I sincerely appreciate it!!

Jake
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:38 am

The clamps come off,,,,,,,,and it don't really matter where those threads are,,,,,,,they don't have to be even because once you screw them on, one is a left hand and one is a right hand thread, they move the tie rods equally out or in. But I would say if you put real expensive tires on it, get a good alignment. Those axles wear out and sag if it was overloaded or if someone lifts the van with a jack in the center of the axle and bows the tires out,,,,,,this affects the camber, which affects the handling and tire wear,,,,,,,so it's a good investment to get the camber/caster/toe readings from a machine and know EXACTLY what you got.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:46 pm

YOu are correct, shoes for the old girl won't come cheap!! That is a very good idea. I think I will just get it "close" and let the professionals finish the allignment. I appreciate your assistance!!

Jake

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:13 pm