VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Metal to the pedal

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Metal to the pedal Empty Metal to the pedal

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Everytime you step on the clutch or gas pedal your linkage gets closer to looking like this,,,,,,they don't have grommets or bushings to protect them,,,,,I take my MIG welder or brazing torch and add metal to both pieces then drill it out and file it round again to make it a tight fit again,,,,,,but its better if you catch it earlier before it breaks......

Metal to the pedal Repair18

Metal to the pedal Repair19

Metal to the pedal Repair20

Metal to the pedal Empty Re: Metal to the pedal

Post by Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:02 pm

besides saving money i wonder why they didnt use a bushing. i had thought about using the hurst pit pack bushings or using some door hinge bushings.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Good reminder,Don.Thats one of those things ya don't think of usually till its too late.Could make for a bad afternoon.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:46 pm

And it happens so gradually, you don't realize there is a problem until its too late,,,,,the clutch won't be releasing fully and you don't get full wide open throttle in your carb anymore or it don't return to idle correctly,,,,,,and the return spring pulls them back to center, so it looks like nothing is wrong,,,,,,,,so it's something to check and see where you stand,,,,,,,,
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Just wonderin,would accelerator bushing at pedal end fit? Best memory was like 3/8 i.d. x 15/32 o.d.
    Metal to the pedal Acclr_10

Last edited by Nightmoves on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : rewording)
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:55 am

Actually, since I don't have a welder and didn't want to take just one part to a shop, I reversed the the pin and sqeeezed a plastic bushing on it. I figure the plastic won't last long, yet the metal on the other side went 45 years so if I can find or weld a replacement in the next 10-20 years I'll be okay. Also, I keep all these pretty gooped up with white lithium grease as it won't disolve plastic and rubber like reg. grease.

Thanks for showing the pics too, Mark
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:43 am

In certain bushing applications a nylon bush will last forever.

Nylon is actually harder then steel. For that reason it is not alowed to be used in aircraft maintenance as fairleads or rubbing block on control cables because the cable will wear out first, and break causing a crash.

How ever. Nylon is suseptible to crushing forces and will change shape due to presure and spit out of heaver applications like king pins and some clutch linkage aplications.

Nylon is a good choice for lighter rotating joints and any place where the load is constant 90* to the bearing surface.

Nylon will not exibit dissimular metal corrosion or electrolitit action and does not need external lubrication.

Bronse bushings are less mallible (harder compared to nylon) , pourus in structure so it holds in lubracants. and can sustain forces with changing load angles well. Bronse is a mixture of various non-ferrous metals exibiting hardness, granular stability and best anti corrosion properties for being in contact with steel or other ferrus metals. But needs to be suported as it is britle and breaks out easily. And is heavy.

There is applications where bronse is not a good choice.

Some time a soft steel is a best choice bushing but needs total lubracation and protection from the elements.

M1D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:02 am