VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

temp guage

Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Number of posts : 213
    Registration date : 2009-12-23

temp guage Empty temp guage

Post by Mr Hill Billy Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:51 pm

my temp guage barely moves up. p.o. said he tried numerous different sensors in the motor.which by the way is a 289 out of a fairlane.and said it made no difference.How do you test the gauge? could it be a ground problem?
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

temp guage Empty Re: temp guage

Post by EconoCarl Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Just curious, have you checked to see if the thermostat has been removed?
    Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Post by Mr Hill Billy Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:01 pm

no crowen57 i haven't.but will replace soon anyway. i know the temp is up because my elec fan is set on 180 and it runs most of the time.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Well there are senders for idiot lights and senders for gauges,,,,,,pull the wire off the sender and ground it with the key on and see if the gauge moves,,,,,,
    Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Post by Mr Hill Billy Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:54 pm

it is a gauge for temp. Should it go all the way to the hot side with a direct ground? and what is the difference in senders? a idiot light would be on/off type and a gauge more of a variable resistor?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:40 pm

A gauge or an idiot needs its matching sending unit to work right,,,,,,so what kind of gauge do you have,,,,,,the factory one or an add on? Does it have actual numbers on it? Another thing is that Fords have that wonderful current limiter in them for the fuel and temp gauges to cut down the voltage to like 7 volts to those gauges,,,,,,so I guess measure the voltage at the sender wire with it disconnected to see what you got there,,,,,,,we need more information since it seems that this problem has been going on for a while,,,,,has the previous owner installed an original Ford Van sending unit or a different temp gauge in that new engine?
    Mr Hill Billy
    Mr Hill Billy

Post by Mr Hill Billy Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:15 am

donivan65 wrote:A gauge or an idiot needs its matching sending unit to work right,,,,,,so what kind of gauge do you have,,,,,,the factory one or an add on? Does it have actual numbers on it? Another thing is that Fords have that wonderful current limiter in them for the fuel and temp gauges to cut down the voltage to like 7 volts to those gauges,,,,,,so I guess measure the voltage at the sender wire with it disconnected to see what you got there,,,,,,,we need more information since it seems that this problem has been going on for a while,,,,,has the previous owner installed an original Ford Van sending unit or a different temp gauge in that new engine?
    gauge is factory, no numbers. just white bar with a space where normal op temp should be . the temp gauge will move about twice the width of the needle when engine is up to op temp. and is overheated when needle get to the white bar. since you mention the current limiter .i am thinking that is the problem because fuel gauge doesn't work either. It has the ford temp sender for the 289 in it now but p.o. said he tried numerous senders with no change in results.including one from orig motor. plus p.o. also put a single wire chevy alt on it. oil pressure idiot light comes on when key is in on position,light is off when running. all dash lights, acc. lights etc. work good. Thanks alot donivan65 for your help!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:19 am