VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Norcold refer

bumpbug

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Norcold refer Empty Norcold refer

Post by bumpbug Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Anyone using one of those old Norcold 12v / 120 v no gas RV refridgerater, about the size of a ice box in the cabinets ? do they work very well , do they drain the battery to nothing real quick ? seen one with a sink and 2 burner stove all in a small cabinet in a wrecking yard for 60.00 bucks. Is it worth getting ? Thanks for a great place to get answers.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Norcold refer Empty Re: Norcold refer

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:23 pm

I have a 110/12 volt fridge in my 78 motorhome,,,,,it still works,,,,,there is a little freezer compartment up in the middle on top,,,,,,,works great on 110,,,,,,,draws about 5 amps on 12 volts, so you need a good battery to run it,,,,,,,,I put in two 6 volt batteries to run my 12 volt stuff in my motorhome. I like to put a block of ice in the fridge and run it on defrost and it lasts a week without much current draw,,,,,,working ones are hard to find,,,,,they usually drain the freon out of them before they sell them,,,by cutting the lines,,,,,,

Norcold refer Kitche10
    bumpbug

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by bumpbug Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:46 am

If you put a block of ice in it , it will take up half the room or more, and why run it on defrost ? doesn't that shut the cold operation off ? What happens if you run it on straight 12 V, does it stay cold ? without the block of ice.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am

I just put the ice in there to cut down the load on the alternator when I am driving cross country,,,,,,,and the temp settings are basically a timer,,,,,the defrost setting just does not keep the fridge from running a long time draining the battery,,,,,,,and you really need an RV or boat battery to run it,,,,,,,car batterys don't like being run down and charged up each night. It depends on how long you want to run the fridge,,,,and how hot it is outside,,,,,,it works good as long as you feed it around 5 amps,,,,,,,a car battery probably won't have enough left in to start the engine in the morning if you set the temp on 10 and it runs constantly all night,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:35 am

I'm planning on putting a couple of leisure batteries in mine, somewhere underneath, to power the fridge and TV stuff. AS mentioned above, car batteries don't like the constant draining that a fridge will do to a battery. And i can confirm that a battery will be flat in the morning, as that once happened to me....!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:49 pm