VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Radiator Fix?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Radiator Fix? Empty Radiator Fix?

Post by Scott Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 am

About a year ago I scored an aluminum radiator at a great price. Now that it's getting close to being installed I took it to a machine shop a few weeks ago to have the cap removed and plugged, plus add little hose connector to feed the surge tank. I started by calling radiator shops, but without even seeing it I got an ear full of how that radiator won't work for me, and that I really just need to buy a new one. So I called a local machine / welding shop that did the work pretty cheap.

Here's the radiator, and a close-up of the plug..
    Radiator Fix? 117

Radiator Fix? 216

When I picked it up the guy said I should get it pressure checked because he had to weld into part of the old cap fitting and had no way of testing it himself. I decided to check it myself at home because of my previous experience with the radiator shops. I posted a YouTube link the other day on how to do this at home. When I did mine I found a small stream of bubbles coming from one corner, but not where he plugged it. So I went ahead and took it to a Radiator Shop that I had used for years down in Fort Worth. They are the same ones that rebuilt my van radiator before I bought this aluminum one. Anyway, the guy and I took the radiator back, he plugged it, and blew pressure into it. Man there were bubbles pouring out of that corner. He shut off the pressure and tells me the radiator is trash. He didn't even look to see where the bubbles were coming from, just said the core was bad. When asked how much pressure he was putting in he said 20 LBS, and did it again, I just took it back to my trunk and left. At the time I was thinking about all my wasted money on this thing, but after thinking it over I came to the conclusion that he was blowing way more then 20 LBS into it, and probably blowing all those bubbles from that little hole. So I took it home and did the same tub test again and am back to the small trickle of bubbles from that one corner. Hopefully he didn't cause more damage by blowing to much pressure into it. I would like to fix this thing, then go down and talk to the owner. I just want to make sure I'm right before I go talk to him.
    Scott
    Scott

Radiator Fix? Empty Re: Radiator Fix?

Post by Scott Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:22 am

The leak is coming from a side tank on a seam that faces the core. Not an easy place to get to, but at least its not leaking from the core. I’ve read about people using solder to fix small holes in radiators. I looked at the package of solder I have and it shows a melting point of 340, my radiator will never see those temps unless the engine catches on fire.

Another site suggested putting a vacuum on the radiator so it sucks the hot solder into the hole.

I’m not interested in trying to use something I pour in the radiator while it’s running, I want a permanent fix before I go through the trouble of hooking it all up.

Any of you done this before, have a better way of doing it, or something I might not have considered yet?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:48 am

I think before you send that radiator to the scrap yard, try that aluminum repair kit,,,,,with the rods,stainless steel brush and flux that you use a propane torch to melt,,,,,,,I have used it to repair cracks in Aluminum,,,,,,If you use stop leak, disconnect the heater core,,,,,,it will plug up,,,,,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:36 am

I found a bunch like this one with Google, so I should be able to narrow it down pretty quick.
    Radiator Fix? Pictur12

It would be nice to find it local though.

Thanks Donivan

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:24 am

Even better, this is about 10 minutes from where I work.

Harbor Freight

Radiator Fix? Harbor10
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:14 pm

I checked the radiator last night and found out the leak isn’t coming from a seam on a side tank, but from around where a core tube enters the side tank. Since it’s only a two core it’s pretty easy to get access, now the question is what to use.

The description of the Aluminum Rods shows that it takes 730 degrees. I’m afraid the thin wall in the core tube might cause me more problems if I heat it to 730. I’m reconsidering the solder. At least if the solder fails I can move on to the Aluminum Rods, as I said before the solder melts at 340 degrees.

Donivan, would you still stick with the Aluminum Rods?

Any other thoughts out there?
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:48 pm

I have the same issue. just got an aluminum radiator and have to cut and weld it to make it work for the dog house. Luckly I live in Nascar usa and there are plenty of guys that can help me out. This is an area I don't like to mess with.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:52 pm

I was mistaken when I said the leak wasn't near where the cap was welded, it's actually right next to it. I think it was probably the heat from that weld that caused the leak.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 pm

I don't know if you can get solder to stick,,,,,,,,,,you kinda need to scrape the coating off the aluminum to repair it,,,,,,where is the leak,,,,,,the tank to flange seam,,,,,,,a tube to flange seam?????
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:50 pm

I can't see the hole by looking at it, but a little pressure and liquid soap and bubbles start right were the core tube meets the side tank.

The yellow arrow points to where you can't see the hole. Ignore the black dot, it's a Sharpie mark I put on there.

Radiator Fix? Rad_ho10
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:03 pm

That Radiator Leaks in the Header Plate ..... and Your Right ... They Got it to Hot when they were Welding on it !!!!!! it Can be fixed ... But I wouldn't trust it ... They have to fix that area with a Hot Glue Gun ..... with a special adhesive ...... When you Plan on using that much Heat welding a Aluminum Radiator You should Fill it up with water to keep the heat Down on the Core !!!!

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 pm

And you can also use this stuff ,,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyowpVKqJ3E But when thinking about it.. haveing it Glued wouldent be that bad cause it's at the top of the radiator so you might be OK ... Cause if it Leaks you wont lose all the fluid .... Like a Leak at the Bottom of the core ....

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Looking through the most recent Jegs catalog I noticed the Dragster / Roadster radiators don't have a cap, and can easily be adapted to a 2nd Gen with an overflow tank by hooking the overflow hose off of the upper hose flowing from the engine to the radiator.

I didn't measure to find the best match, the picture is just for reference.
    http://www.jegs.com/p/Jegster/JEGS-Racing-Radiators/767134/10002/-1
    Radiator Fix? Pictur13

Maybe not this exact one, I don't know if this is the right hose size.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/2283/10002/-1
    Radiator Fix? Pictur14
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:07 pm

The solder was just a waste of time, maybe because of where the hole is located. I used Acid Core Solder as everything I read said to use. I tried heating it, using the flux, and applying the solder. It just balled-up, made a mess, and didn't fix the hole. After two tries, and cooking two fingers, I thought maybe I got it. But it still just as bad, but not any worse.

I think I'll try taking it back, getting the owner to look at it, and talk to him about the epoxy Vanish was talking about. If that fails I'll go get the Aluminum Rods Donivan talked about. I want to do that last because I'm worried the 730 degrees will turn the whole area into paste. But maybe that's why / how it works...?
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Post by Vanish Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:09 pm

These guys too !!!!!!

http://www.cfrperformance.com/

Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:02 pm

I gave on it this last weekend.

The more rods I sunk into the radiator the more leaks I got.

I am cutting my losses and gong back to the stock radiator. If it's not good enough I will replace it.
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Scott, Per Don's advice I had my radiator re-cored to a 3 row. I've been driving it since March 45 miles a day on surface streets and the highest it got on the gauge was 200. We had a lot of 100+ degree days and she kept on running and never overheated. I know the radiator is different in the 2nd gen but it was a big help getting it recored. Before I had it re-cored the gauge would read 230 and that was in the winter.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:05 pm

That crossflow 2nd radiator with the 4 rows of tubes in it would be the coolest thing out there for a 2nd Gen,,,,,,,,,

Radiator Fix? Cool_a10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:32 pm