VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
kookykrispy
RodStRace
Digz
G-Man
8 posters

High Flow water pumps???

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

High Flow water pumps??? Empty High Flow water pumps???

Post by G-Man Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Just wondering if anyone has used one??? And does it help with cooling
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

High Flow water pumps??? Empty Re: High Flow water pumps???

Post by Digz Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:49 am

I dont know about water pumps, but Im thinking of trying a smaller pulley on mine to see if I can help it some, it sounded like smiley gained some on his by going this route, but he may be running a real fan also ?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 am

A good water pump that doesn't just agitate the water should be enough. The thermostat and the passages inside the block/head will restrict flow no matter how much pump is in front of it.
    Pay attention to the manufacturer. There are a lot of junk parts with guesswork engineering being sold now.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm running a high flow water pump on my inline six. I got it from summit. I think its a flow-kooler brand or something like that. Claims to flow like 30 or 40% more water? The impeller design looked alot better and different than the stocker, so I figured it was worth it. I installed it at the same time I had the radiator re-cored. Also went to a 6 blade fan and a new 160 degree thermostat. The result of all this was a lighter wallet by about $500, but no more overheating in my '64.

I am happy with the high-flow pump.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Kookykrispy - Does your 6-blade fan pull enough air into the doghouse to force the heat out from the top rear? I've been looking at 6-blade and 7-blade fans from Summit Racing. Can't decide if spending extra for the 7-blade is worth it. I'd like to have a lot of air coming in to force the heat out of the rear if that is ever possible. We've had a hot summer here in Ohio and my van is running warmer than I would like it to. I used to own a '64 Chevy (same color) that looked exactly like your picture posted by your name.
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:31 am

I ordered a fan blade for my 1st gen but they sent the wrong size and is to big. I never got around to send it back and now it's to late. So if someone needs one let me know. it is the 18.6 size and is brand new.

High Flow water pumps??? Fan_110
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm running a 16" universal plastic fan from summit racing. I think it cost me about $18. Its pretty much a cheap POS. If I were to re-do it I think I'd step up to a quality electric fan with a shroud, but that's more $$

Post by Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:38 pm

I switched from a 7" single groove water pump pulley to a double groove 5.5" and haven't noticed the van running any cooler. I also installed a new 6-blade 17" fan which replaced the original 4 blade steel one. It still runs at 195-200 in traffic and then goes to 220 after shutting it off. I have the belly pan on. My engine is a 355 with a turbo 350. I have considered taking out the original fan shroud and moving the radiator back so the fan is closer to the radiator. There is room to do this and still attach the belly pan to the radiator bottom support. My van is a 1969 108 panel with 3:36 gears. I have a 160 degree thermostat. Would moving the radiator up close to the fan blade lower my temperature? I'd like it to run at 180-190. scratch
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:59 pm

From experience= I had a sheet metal shop/friend bend up & weld a metal fan shroud for my 55 chev PU. Ran a straight 4 blade fan-no slip type & I never see any high temps. I also added a elect fan to the front just in case & have never used it. The g10 im building has a shroud ( factory67') and clutch will be used also. I dont forsee ant problems. Im curious if the addition of an electric fan mounted belot the lower louvered panel could help when ststionary?? Seems like even when stopped there would be enough air movement from the fan/shroud would create a high pressure inside the doghouse to keep the heat/air flowing out>> ?? Esp. when moving down the road -now having a low pressure area below the van?? Thoughts from the group??,matt
    VCVCSmiley
    VCVCSmiley

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by VCVCSmiley Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:31 am

Going from a 7-1/8" water pump pulley to a 5-3/4" pulley with the existing 7-1/8" crank pulley brought my summer highway temp down from 210˚ average to 195˚ average. No other changes were made. it brought my water pump to crank ratio from 1:1 to 1:24. That's almost 25% more air and water.

I know there are are many other options to help control temp, but a different pulley that can be found for as little as free is a great place to start.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:55 am

Welcome Smiley!!!! Glad you came over..... Very Happy

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

High Flow water pumps??? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:34 pm