VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

1967 Brake Lights

1967 Brake Lights Empty 1967 Brake Lights

Post by Guest Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:45 pm

I've been busy. Running ragged would be the proper term.

My '67 is my only mode of vehicular transportation - and the brake lights have always been a hassle. when i got the van it had all types of 2 into 1 resistor blocks rigged up to both sides and the lights still didn't work properly. From my 1st parts van i cut all the rear connectors out and simplified the connections and eliminated all the jerry rigging from the previous owner. And they worked, but occasionally i'd burn up either a fuse or my left brake filament.

flash to this evening.

A man shouted at me in traffic, "dude, you got no lights!" I pulled into huhot, and before eating, i immediately climbed under the van. when i pulled the brake mechanism down towards the pavement, the spring loaded arm on the brake switch didn't follow. worn spring mech, right? i used some zip ties and a section of shoelace to temporarily attach the arm to the brake pedal arm. after dinner and a short drive later - the left brake filament was out!

my question is, how much does the switch have to do with dispersion of power to either brake light? if any at all? sorry for the story and perceived overcomplication of my issue, but my brain isn't coming up with anything NEW that could be the root of my problem. Electricity evades me. And as always, any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1967 Brake Lights Empty Re: 1967 Brake Lights

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:02 pm

When the lever on the brake light switch moves down with the brake arm, it sends 12 volts to the turn signal switch,,,,,,,then the turn signal switch decides where to send the signal,,,,,,the turn signal switch has a wire going to each rear bulb, (which either works as a turn signal or brake light),,,,,,so it decides whether each side blinks or stays solid,,,,,,,,

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:56 pm