VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator Empty Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator

Post by Guest Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:34 am

Hi guys,

You've all been very helpful in the past. So here's my new situation:

I've got a 1965 Chevy Sportvan (straight 6). It's still under 100,000 miles so most parts are still original.

About 2-3 months ago the accelerator pedal started to stick a little while at stop lights etc. The engine would of course be slightly revved too much so I started to just reach down and pull the pedal back up so that everything idled normally. After a couple of months of this I now have the opposite problem which is that when I'm at a stop light or when I'm slowing down to a stop, the engine dies unless I push the gas pedal down slightly to keep it revved.

I'm guessing this is an accelerator issue and not a fuel pump or carb issue because everything runs well at normal speeds. I've searched this forum for this same topic but didn't find this exact problem.

Can anyone give me a second opinion before I get deeper into fixing my van? Did I do some damage by pulling the accelerator up at every stop light? Is there some sort of linkage that controls the gas flow that may be out of whack or damaged?

Here are the symptoms:
    1) Before starting the engine the gas pedal will stay on the floor when pushed as if no pressure is pushing back. Once the van is started this does not happen again.
    2) As mentioned above the pedal will stick down just a little at stop lights so that it is too revved.
    3) If it doesn't stick down (and remains at normal up position) the engine will die as if it ran out of gas.
    4) I've noticed that right behind the front bumper, where the accelerator rod starts going back towards the engine, the rod does not sit perfectly centered in the round hole that it goes through. It appears to be resting on the bottom part of the hole.
    5) I'm not really getting any unusual sputtering or backfiring.
    6) Drives great once we are moving.

Thanks guys.
    Mike
    Vancouver, WA
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator Empty Re: Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Hey Mike,
    There are several things that may be an issue for you.
    Sounds like you carb idle is not set correctly for starts.
    Manually throttle the carb (At the carb with hand) to see if the carb is sticking.

Also sounds like your cable or reversing linkage may be sticking. Put a heavier return spring and see if it is any better (Not a fix, just a test) If it still sticks or is slow to return open your doghouse and check your reversing linkage by moving it back and forth (Should move freely) If not lube and work it until it works smoothly and check the action pedal again. Still not working smoothly? Oil the pedal hinge (Guessing you did this anyway). And as far as it working ok once you get going is just an accident waiting to happen. Most likely the vibration is causing it to not to stick and at some point it will wear until it sticks permanently (Hopefully not with the pedal down! While your driving) Find a way to adjust the cable rod so it no longer rest on the bottom of the guide hole. That alone could be your problem. If all that fails to fix it then you have a bad cable........ Hope this helps...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator Empty Re: Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:55 pm

you can start by seeing how good your gas pedal works,,,,,take the nut off that holds the pedal on, slide the pedal off,,,,,remove the shaft and see if the bracket is rusted out and the 2 bushings in it are good,,,,,,,

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator Repair42

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator Repair43
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Hahaha! Funny I forgot that Don...
    That's the first thing I had to fix on mine... jocolor

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator 07280010
    Sorry,pic turned out bad.
    If ya cant find one local:paragon reproductions 1-800-882-4688 part #3731K bushings 63-67 accel rod pedal pivot, pair
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:40 pm

And lets see the whole picture,,,,,,,,you step on the pedal,,,,,it pushes the bottom rod backwards,,,,,which pushes the middle rod forward,,,,,,which pulls the top rod down,,,,,which opens the carb throttle plate,,,,,SO,,,,,,,you are looking to make sure the upper rod has a spring pulling it up,,,,,you are looking to see the bottom rod also has a spring on it that hooks behind the grille,,,,,,,you are looking to see if the bushings on the middle rod are good,,,,,,,and you are looking at each junction to see if the hole is wallowed out or the rods have grooves cut in it. It's all got to be tight and lubricated or the engine won't idle each time you let up on the gas.......

Second Opinions on 1965 Accelerator Thrott10

Post by Guest Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:24 am

You guys have once again proven to be the best source of vintage van information on the web. This is above and beyond an average response. Thank you.

As for the repairs, I'm going to start digging into this tomorrow. I'll take all this info and see what we can do. Of course I'll stick to the 'keep it simple stupid' approach and start with the easiest and the obvious. Checking the bushings is probably step one. I'll post my findings here so others can use it as a resource later.

Mike

Post by Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:37 pm

RESULTS:

Don was right with the 'keep it simple stupid' approach. I always aim for this approach but sometimes it gets left behind for a more elaborate explanation.

The main issue for the gas pedal sticking and high revs at stop lights was simply due to the shaft/bushings (next to the gas pedal) needed greasin'. Just used a little bit of WD40 and soaked in motor oil until it started moving freely again. Didn't even have to remove the bushings. Easy. Free.

As for the stalling that had recently started, there was a vacuum hose that had somehow come disconnected from the carb. Easy. Free.

Simple simple simple. Drives like new again.

Thanks guys.

Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:23 pm