VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
kiwimopar
Nightmoves
mo_1040
RodStRace
BILLS66
donivan65
veefre
11 posters

Pulling V8 motor

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Pulling V8 motor - Page 2 Empty Re: Pulling V8 motor

Post by donivan65 Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Thats why you pull the axle and you only have to raise the van up about a foot to roll the engine and trans out from under the front bumper or wheelwells. Those 108's have that extra window behind the front doors, so thats another 18" you have to reach in from the side doors. But you got choices depending on your equipment or place to do it in. You still got one good arm, don't you?
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Pulling V8 motor - Page 2 Empty "You still got one good arm, don't you?"

Post by veefre Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Hahaha.

Yes, my right arm is still attached and functional. And I'd like to keep it that way. Realistically, my left elbow should be all healed up (or so the doc tells me) in three weeks, which is well before I have any thought of actually pulling this thing for a rebuild.

If the van only has to be lifted a foot... well... I have 6 ton jack stands that extend 24". Those would raise the very front of the van 10" if set under the frame rails just behind the front bumper. Or 14" if set under the forward front spring mount brackets (can they support the weight?). Another spot I looked at just now was the "frame" rail just behind the rearward front spring mount. Is that rail strong enough to support the van?

I'm thinking what you mean is that the van must be lifted a foot above the ground at the engine location... which would probably mean I'd need 3 foot jack stands at the bumper mounts. Frankly can't recall where I got these 6 ton 24" jack stands. Maybe Harbor Freight some time ago. And I'd probably want to figure out how to secure the front jack stands at that location so the van doesn't slip backward off the stands (or spit them forward).
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Yeah it should be strong enough.
    Pulling V8 motor - Page 2 Frtsha10
    If you have the room and place to do it Id recommend taking the entire van up level , it'd be easier to work with. just do a 2 or 3 smaller lifts on each end. Put as much blocking under it as what makes you and the van" feel safe". Also you can nail up some blocks with wheel chocks on them for the rear to keep it from rolling Ive done most of my work with 3 ton stands, 6ers awwta handle it no problem.
    Pulling V8 motor - Page 2 Onjack10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Measure the engine from the intake to the pan,,,,,,,,,,thats how high you need to lift or jack the van for the engine to slide out from under the van,,,,,,it sure is not anything like M1Dadios picture which he was thinking about future wheelies or kind of showing off,,,,,,,,(that is a pretty impressive picture). Rent a cherry picker if you dont have one,,,,,pull the axle if you are not going to be able to lift the van high enough to slide the engine and trans out from under the rocker panel or if it is in the way,,,,put jackstands under it under the bumper or frame,,,,,,then hook the engine hoist to the engine ,,undo the trans mount and crossmember bolts and lower the engine and trans onto a creeper, or piece of plywood,,,,,,pick the van up with the hoist and reach under there and drag that engine and trans out from under the van. The engine hoist really makes it easier to raise and lower everything rather than trying to balance everything on a floor jack. But it can be done by using real long bolts in the crossmember to lower and raise it with the engine attached to it , enough to get a floor jack under it to raise and lower the engine and van to get the job done. You got choices, depending on where you are going to do it and what equipment you got. All the answers that everyone gave you will work,,,,,,,Pick one or some that apply to you........
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:51 pm

I have a good trusty cherry picker - one that is actually Made In The USA (well, the frame, not the jack part). It works very well, esp. since I topped off the hydraulic fluid (it sat for about 15 years and the fluid just seeped away gradually, it seems).

But today at Harbor Freight I made an interesting find: 12 ton jack stands. These extend to about 31", which should be enough to get the front bumper mounts up high enough to free the motor. I'm planning on using other (6 ton or 3 ton) jack stands at the rear axle to level things out. I think this combination will get the van up where it needs to be, safely, for dropping the motor. I will probably still need to use a cherry picker to lift the motor, remove the cross member, and then gently lower it onto some sort of dolly.

And yes, I got plenty of choices. I used the van to pick up the 12 ton jack stands today - just one pair - and so I think I have everything needed to do this. When I get around to it, that is.

Arm is getting a little better every day, by the way. Still not ready to do any push ups or pull ups, though. Just being able to turn a door knob with my left hand is a major achievement.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Pulling V8 motor - Page 2 Empty motor R&R

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:04 pm

remove the pass seat- hook to motor- remove thru pass door -just did this - easy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:54 am