VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
G-Man
southern man
RodStRace
lectricman
8 posters

simple ignition switch removal... probably not

lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

simple ignition switch removal... probably not Empty simple ignition switch removal... probably not

Post by lectricman Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:45 am

OK, this has probably been discussed but I can't find it.. I purchased my Econo without a key to the ignition... how do I get the ignition out without a key? any help is greatly appreciated.... thanks...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

simple ignition switch removal... probably not Empty Re: simple ignition switch removal... probably not

Post by RodStRace Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:06 pm

The older Fords have a lock cylinder with a small hole in the front face. If yours has this hole, the key is required to remove it.
    Without the key, you can have a locksmith try to work magic, or drill it out. When drilling, remember that the ONLY part you are trying to save is the dash and the outer nut. You may get lucky and not damage the switch, but most of the time it gets torn up too. Buy a new lock cylinder and switch to see how it all fits together before hand.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

simple ignition switch removal... probably not Empty Re: simple ignition switch removal... probably not

Post by southern man Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:55 pm

I found this thread and have removed the lock cylinder, but how do you get the front bezel off and remove the whole assembly?

For that matter, how do you remove the headlight and wiper switches?

(I've got my van parked close against my garage on the the drivers side and can't open the door. Not so easy to get under that dash right now!)
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:16 pm

On a Chevy you have to remove the cyl first as explained above then the bezel screws out. On the headlight switch check under the dash if theres a button under the switch that make it so you can pull out the switch rod then the switch comes out easy
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:08 pm

If your door is keyed the same as the ignition switch you can pop the door lock out and any locksmith should be able to make a key from it. The ignition is really hard to get out without the key. Much easier to get the door lock out. The bezel has to be pushed up into the dash while you turn it to release the bezel. Kinda like the way a radiator cap is removed. The tumbler needs to be out when you remove the switch. HTH

Duane in Tennessee
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm

And as for the headlight switch, its easier to remove the dash, reach in there to press the button and pull out the knob and shaft,,,,,,,sometimes you need to spray WD40 into the shaft and button to get it to cooperate

simple ignition switch removal... probably not Repair53
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:09 am

DISCONNECT the battery or it'l be 4th of July on that headlight switch with fuse box attached.

southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:01 pm

Ok, I managed to get my Econo's ignition switch and headlight switch out.

I got the wiper switch bezel completely unscrewed but in order to remove the switch the stalk has to come out - but how???!! I have tried to pull, twist, etc but to no avail. I don't have a screw driver small enough for the set screw but I guess that's what I have to remove in order to get this done.

Any great tips? What is the exact size of that set screw? (Is it the same as the on the vent windows?)
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Go in there with a magnifying glass and light. Some are flat set screws, some are hex (Allen). Vent windows are a roll pin.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000024g~Z5Z5Z5ACXZA~P10.00~~~~~~~F#
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:11 pm

southern man wrote:Ok, I managed to get my Econo's ignition switch and headlight switch out.

I got the wiper switch bezel completely unscrewed but in order to remove the switch the stalk has to come out - but how???!! I have tried to pull, twist, etc but to no avail. I don't have a screw driver small enough for the set screw but I guess that's what I have to remove in order to get this done.

Any great tips? What is the exact size of that set screw? (Is it the same as the on the vent windows?)

The knob comes off,the stem stays with the switch. Theres no set screw. Theres a small slot in the knob. Insert a tiny screw driver to push the catch to release it from the stem slot on the opposite side its spring loaded into and the knob wil release. I know it sounds funny but once removed it will be obvious how it is attached.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:23 am

Tim,
    I looked at it again last night and it looks like it's a very small Allen wrench set screw. Is that what I need to push on?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:47 am

no- get the allen wrench to fit & un screw it
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:37 pm

If you see an allen screw,then unscrew it but I just pulled one for a customer on Saturday and it didnt have one. Some knobs have them and some dont but that particular switch I believe should have a clip inside the knob,not an allen screw. If theres a slot in the side,its a clip. If not,then someone may have changed knobs. Once the knob is off,if theres a slot milled into the stem them it should have a clip on it. If just a flat spot then allen screw. I have no idea why they made different knobs attach in different ways.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:51 pm

1/16" allen wrench did the job!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:55 pm