VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
Kakster
6 posters

Old Brake Parts

Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Old Brake Parts Empty Old Brake Parts

Post by Kakster Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:37 pm

So I made some more progress today on the swap to the M1D type (M1Dadio) front disc brakes on my 67 Chevy G10 . A question now arises, is there any use for the old drum brake parts (drum and backing plate)? My first thought is to send them down the road, but I would hate to pitch them if some other vanner could use them. Question
    Kakster
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Old Brake Parts Empty Re: Old Brake Parts

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:36 pm

The drum is probably worn out and you can still buy them and that backing plate is probably the same as a Chevelle, so I don't see much good in keeping them,,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Don't toss the backing plates... I'll buy them....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:29 pm

See, you never know what you will find on this site,,,,,,you need backing plates and there is some guy that don't know what to do with his old ones,,,,,,,and that other guy that says throw them away,,,,,
    Kakster
    Kakster

Post by Kakster Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:59 pm

I'll double check, but I think they are history. Sorry if it is too late.
    Kakster
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:33 pm

No problem, Kakster. I pulled the second of two backing plates off the '64 in the junk yard this afternoon. Providing nothing goes amiss, I think I can put the van back on the road this weekend.
    Kakster
    Kakster

Post by Kakster Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:26 pm

Hope the parts you got fit and you can get the beast back on the road safely. I tend to be a pack rat and so after 50+ years I have way too much stuff. It only took a little encouragement for me to send the old backing plates down the road. Sorry I missed the chance to help out a fellow Chevy van enthusiast.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:39 pm

It all came together,,,,,,,the Ford guy sees a Chevy Van in the wrecking yard,,,,,he posts it,,,,we see it,,,,,and next thing VeeFre is laying in the mud holding his backing plates,,,,,this website sure got the job done,,,,
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:34 am

I love it!!! lol
    B.W. Smile
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:39 am

Yeah, but next time you guys gotta send me some industrial elbow cleaner. Took me an hour in the shower to get that junkyard grime off.
    Or was it 46 year old Chevy gunk? affraid

In any case, thank you all for the help, and thank God for Boraxo!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:01 pm

Since you had to jack it up that means it is not in the customer lot,,,,,,,they need to drain the fluids and then put it up on blocks so it is safe to work on. AND those vehicles are for sale while they are in that lot,,,,,,,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Anybody want to buy a striped van???
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:35 pm

Well, the van was placed right next to cars that were on stands... and I told the guy at the gate when I came in during the week that I was going for a 64 chevy van that just arrived and I was going to jack up the van to pull the front brake backing plates. His only concern was the type of jack - mine passed because it was hydraulic. Someone already got to the motor - the carb, air cleaner, and valve cover were gone; distributor taken apart and hanging, pedals gone, shifter gone, master cylinder gone, who knows what else. So it wasn't exactly road worthy to begin with. I think it was safe to work on because I used their own jack stands to hold up the front end. Maybe not at all four corners but it was quite solid. The only problem I had was the very limited room on the right side of the van. But I managed to get what I needed without injury and without going to junkyard jail... lol...

I suspect the lot will make more off this van parted out than sold whole... that's just my opinion, but I don't feel sorry for the yard. The sum of the parts being greater than the whole. Nobody questioned me during the week - and I even asked for help several times with no results - and they were happy to sell me the parts that I managed to remove for good money. There was no indication that the van was supposed to be off limits, but I guess next time I'll know better.

Besides, if someone hadn't advised someone else that '67 backing plates were a dime a dozen and to toss them in the trash, I'd have had nice clean ones without having to deal with the salvage yard in the first place... Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Laughing
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:34 pm

My buddy bought an early out of the yard down here,,,,,it cost him about $1000,,,,,,he had to get the title and registration put into his name and send it to DMV for approval,,,,,that took a month,,,,,,then he had to get it towed to his house where we cut it up,,,,,,,I guess he was lucky the van was not in Hayward,,,,,,so another van story for the books,,,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:23 pm

Well, if the final destination is to be cut up in someone's back yard, the Hayward van is certainly up to that.

In any case, it's kind of moot. One of the '64 backing plates (passenger side) shows signs of failure similar to what has happened to my van's original backing plates: stress crack developing above the anchor pivot bolt; spacer pulled away from the spot weld to the left of the anchor pivot bolt.

I'm thinking this backing plate is a poor design, not intended to last more than ten or twenty years.

I"m going to try to spot weld the spacer back into position and install the backing plate so I can drive the van short, slow distances until I can get a sound plate and/or convert over to disc brakes.

My advice: If your early Chevy van has front drum brakes, inspect the backing plates carefully around the anchor pivot bolt. If it shows any signs of cracking or the spacer plate pulling away from the backing plate, repair/replace/ugrade.

Last edited by veefre on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:10 am; edited 3 times in total
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:51 am

Anybody get any other pics of this van before(during) parting out?? Guess I better check mine.Luckly I got a few axles for parts. All of the axles on the ones in JY here are all ready gone. Must be alot of gassers some place???
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:16 am

I have some photos on my phone but it will take some time for me to transfer them here.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:01 am

Well that place will be having a 1/2 price sale on Nov 27,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue May 19, 2009 12:05 am

I need a hold down spring,Front pass.side late'65 drum brakes w/lg bore wheel cylider,,,,the spring that holds down the chopper that turns the star wheel adjuster, one end hooks to the L shaped chopper plate, and the other end hooks to the rear shoe. It must have been an extra part after the last brake job, ha ha, no, it didnt come with the new spring & adjuster kit, Thank You in advance for any help. Thomas
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Old Brake Parts Empty how is the brake swap going??

Post by wdaguy Thu May 21, 2009 6:29 am

telll us the ups and downs the ins and outs of the M1 swap..before I attempt it!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Ok,,,,,Here are some the parts,,,,,,,,,I know of two 2nd Gens that are using M1Dadios TransAm type disk brake system,,,,,and they would of used steel braided hoses rather than dealing with finding the correct size rubber hoses for the calipers,,,,But the 1st thing you need is a 2 line master cylinder if you don't have one AND replace any old metal brake lines,,,,,,,I would never go back to front drums again,,,,,,,,,

Old Brake Parts M1_dis11
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 156
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post by wdaguy Thu May 21, 2009 8:41 pm

sounds good so if you do all 4 you still use a proportioning valve to start the rears first?[
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 pm

Yep,,,,,,,a 4 wheel drum set up uses different size wheel cylinders and brake shoes to keep the braking even. so unless you figured out the bores of the front and rear calipers, you still would need a Combination valve,,,,,,,RipVanArkie and M1Dadio have 2 different types of power 4 wheel disk brakes on their 1st Gens,,,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:27 am