VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Motor Mounts

pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Motor Mounts Empty Motor Mounts

Post by pilotmtnraider Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:21 am

When i bought my 64 no door it had no motor mounts in it.I have always wanted one but never worked on these things before can someone tell me what are the best motor mounts to use or what are the best ones to fabricate to fit a V8? Thanks for any help you can give.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Motor Mounts Empty Re: Motor Mounts

Post by mo_1040 Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:38 am

the one's used on the original straight 6 bolt right on the v8...I have never looked into buying new ones but they shouldn't be that hard to find. Lot's of good info on this sight... I think you might have to change your doghouse or modify you 1st gen doghouse. getting a 2nd gen doghouse would be easiest.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 am

These motor mounts are also used on the Pick ups , Blazers and El Camino's. But see if your bolt fits in before you put it on,,,,I have seen them put metric threads in it and your original bolt won't work.

Motor Mounts Motor_11
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by ViewMaster Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:09 am

I've heard that I6 and V8 are the same mounts. I've also heard that NAPA has the best quality. Some of the cheaper ones made in India or somewhere have been found to have a metric nut on it. It's been awhile since I've replace any but if I remember right the newer ones are made so that the metal will catch each other if the rubber breaks.
    Which is nice, because like a dummy it took me a long time to realize why my 350 had even more power and longer power than I expected when I stepped on it a little. I finally opened the doghouse lid and saw the motor jump up on the driver's side which pulls the carb linkage and kept itself twisted for a little bit. Was actually a little scary. affraid
    pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Post by pilotmtnraider Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:41 am

Hey I really want to thank you guys for all your help!

Post by Guest Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:27 am

bounce Some mounts do have metric threads. My advice : Take an original motor mount bolt with you to the store when buying mounts to make sure your bolt fits before leaving the store. I have found new mounts with threads tapped at an angle. They seem to be made in India and Korea. I had to clean up the threads on the one made in Korea. Good luck and hope my experience helps you avoid any hassles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:56 am