VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Need help with a carburetor issue

Boogie Van
    Boogie Van

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2010-06-17

Need help with a carburetor issue Empty Need help with a carburetor issue

Post by Boogie Van Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:01 pm

I have a 250 str 6 that has a two barrel Holly that is actually a center carb from a 6 pack. I need to get a air filter on top of this thing but obviously I will not be able to use the original filter so I need to rig something up on top of fabricating a base plate for the filter. I need help with ideas and/or for those living in Western Washington, do have and suggestions for me as to who to go talk to in the area? I live in Silverdale.

Any info or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you!!!

The link below will show the carb Im talking about. It is the center carb.

http://www.holley.com/types/O.E.%20Muscle%20Car%20Carbs.asp
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Need help with a carburetor issue Empty Re: Need help with a carburetor issue

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 pm

There aint no law that says the air filter needs to be on top of the carb,,,,,,as a matter of fact, we are looking to add piping down from the carb into the air stream and maybe put one of those K&N or something to filter that air,,,,,,,,you might be looking at some home A/C ducting or down tubes from a rain gutter,,,,,,,,or flexible dryer hose all the way,,,,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:17 pm

What happened to my previous post?

I found this place the best, you don't need the silicon stuff (too expensive for none turbo application)

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CU9

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:23 pm

M1,,,,,,looks like he has 2 posts going on on this,,,,,,,,
    Boogie Van
    Boogie Van

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2010-06-17

Post by Boogie Van Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Right on guys, thanks for the advice and the link!!!
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Hey Man! Welcome to the forum. I live in the Seattle area. It'd be great to meet you and see your van. PM me for my ph. number if you're ever coming into the city we can meet up.

The only individual air cleaners for those carbs I have seen is sold as a three-pack here:

http://www.hothemiheads.com/air_cleaner_assemblies/3x2_air_cleaner_kit.html

Maybe you can contact them and buy just one?

Other than that, I suggest either fabricating or modifying a base and using a rectangle weber style filter, they are available cheap...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weber-Carburetor-Chrome-Air-Cleaner-assembly-DFAV-DGEC-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439ffbef9dQQitemZ290446897053QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_853wt_958

To me, that hot-hemi-heads air cleaner set-up looks just like these rectangle weber carbs with a base that fits the six pack carbs...

OR... simply go back to a single barrel factory style set-up. You can probably sell that six-pack carb on ebay and get a good price for it from mopar dudes who actually want it for their six pack roadrunner or whatever
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:10 am

On one hand I like the funky look of our stock offset air cleaners. But on the other hand, they are always in the way and kind of a pain to remove and put on. Two wingnuts instead of one, getting the base lined up right, and then getting the threaded rod to find the hole up thru the top. I just put mine back on my rebuilt engine and it's all coming back to me.

I did pick up an air cleaner from a newer car that could be mounted down low, at the bottom of the doghouse instead up in the heat at the top of the doghouse. Maybe put a screen across the inlet to keep big debris from going in. There's plenty of room to route an intake hose over the valve cover and down the right side of the engine (away from the exhaust), between the distributor and the starter. Does it matter how long a route the air has to go between the air cleaner and the carb?

Need help with a carburetor issue Aircle10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 pm