VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

How does the parking brake operate...?

Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

How does the parking brake operate...? Empty How does the parking brake operate...?

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:17 pm

OK, so i have a parking brake issue on my van. I think the problem is that it just hasn't been used on this van and the handle has seized up.

So, can somebody tell me how the handle actually works. Mine seems to be stuck solid...!! Do you twist it, pull it...? etc. I tried to get it to work and broke the handle off the end....!!! It all looks like it is intact, but has been painted, so might need freeing up somehow.

Some advice on which direction it is supposed to go might prevent me from braking it any more than it is already....!

Regards
    Sy
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

How does the parking brake operate...? Empty Re: How does the parking brake operate...?

Post by sasktrini Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Lots of penetrating fluid.

Pull straight up, you will hear ratchet action to engage the handle in the brake position. To release, you twist the handle and the cable tension will drop the handle.

My handle had a slight bend in it, making it bind with the collar that is the brake handle housing. Even with penetrating fluid, I needed to find a way to straighten the handle post before it would work.

Here's my parking brake handle, in case you can't find a replacement... previous owner did it. I like mine better than stock.

How does the parking brake operate...? IMG_0409

Good luck.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

How does the parking brake operate...? Empty Re: How does the parking brake operate...?

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 pm

In the picture Corey just posted you can see the locking mechanism by his hand. Theres a spring loaded metal flapper piece that pops into the ridges of the shaft as you pull it up,locking it into place. To release the brake,pull up ever so slighty while turning the handle counter clockwise to release it,then lower it while still turned. It should have tension on it and lower easily. Never pull on the handle end by itself. Put your hand over the handle and grab it by putting the shaft between your index finger and the "bird" finger. Pull more on the shaft than the handle end to avoid breaking it since it breaks easily. Check the cable underneath to see if its still attached all the way back. Lubricate the puley under the floorboard also. Eventually you'll find where its hung up.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Many thanks. The cable looks quite loose underneath, and the pulley wheel at the bottom moves quite freely. I will be fixing on a much more robust handle once i get the thing moving.

At leasty i know now that it should just pull straight up once i have soaked it in penetrating fluid.
    Thanks for the replies....

Sy
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Ok, it finally moves. I tried penetrating oil overnight and this didn't work, so i tried to remove the whole thing from the van. Unfortunately there was a brake pipe preventing it from being removed so i put it back on and then set to work with the hammer. Eventually managed to get it to move downwards, which allowed me to release the cable from underneath. A few very heavy hits from below finally managed to release it. I have greased it thoroughly and it now moves very freely. Now i just need to find out what is happening within the rear drums, as one side doesn't seem to work....

Sy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:56 am