VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
RickWWW
Donn
mcfly
Roddy
61econoline
dix
EconoUSAparts
Nightmoves
G-Man
southern man
14 posters

Update on my '64 Econo

RickWWW

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2010-05-20

Update on my '64 Econo - Page 2 Empty Looks Great!!!!

Post by RickWWW Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:23 pm

I'd really be interested in knowing the backspacing of the wheels - if possible. Thx.
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Update on my '64 Econo - Page 2 Empty Re: Update on my '64 Econo

Post by mcfly Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Looks like a few of us are interested in the wheel info.
    I also was wondering what you ended up doing with the radio ?
    Did you end up going under the dash?
    What did u do about the antenna ?

mike
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:41 pm

I'll try and get the offset info and post it.

I haven't mounted the radio but the plan is to sling it under the dash. I have a plastic box from Crutchfield. Not ideal but the dash is undisturbed and I really don't want to cut into it. Still looking for a dash skirt but I may try to fab something up to help make the radio look better.

As far as the antenna goes that issue is unresolved. If I can get a decent signal I might try and mount it underneath someplace.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:44 pm

I talked to my buddy Chris today and he promises me I ll have a newly produced dash skirt to bring to Bakers for show and tell. They should be for sale soon after Im told.
    PDXvanman
    PDXvanman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by PDXvanman Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 am

mcfly wrote:What did u do about the antenna ?

mike

I recently put tunes in my van...here is the antenna that I used. It cost $20. It requires switched power (the power antenna wire from the radio) and a ground. The rear view mirror screws were perfect for the ground. The power wire and the antenna connection run out of sight in the channels/pillar surrounding the windshield.

Update on my '64 Econo - Page 2 Radio_10
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 am

Thats a cool lookin antenna.Whole lot better than that fishin pole lookin thing on the side of mine.
    PDXvanman
    PDXvanman

Post by PDXvanman Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 am

Nightmoves wrote:Thats a cool lookin antenna.Whole lot better than that fishin pole lookin thing on the side of mine.

I have a stub that used to be a fishing pole attached to the side of the van. Now I can get rid of it and weld up the holes.

The antenna seems to work well. I did a road trip from Portland to Seattle and back on Saturday and cannot complain about the radio reception...seemed on par with the average car radio.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:36 am

How does it attach to the windshield? Suction or sticky tape? Can you get it closer to the edge? Got a link for it?
    PDXvanman
    PDXvanman

Post by PDXvanman Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:04 am

southern man wrote:How does it attach to the windshield? Suction or sticky tape? Can you get it closer to the edge? Got a link for it?

I literally walked into AutoZone and paid $19.95. I long ago threw away the packaging and the only writing on the unit is (surprise) "made in china." I needed something and was willing to risk $20. I did have to buy an antenna extension to make the run around the windshield (also available at AZ, Radio Shack, etc. for a few bucks).

It mounts with double sided tape...just peel and stick. I very carefully cleaned the window surface and placed the antenna in the sun for a few minutes to warm the adhesive. I carefully stuck it and held it in place for 30 seconds, or so...

...and, it fell off the first time I drove the van. When it fell, I quickly reached up and slapped it back onto the window...where it has faithfully stuck ever since.

It could be a bit closer to the roofline, but I thought it might get shielded if it is too close. The instructions said to mount it on any non-metallic surface...I briefly thought about mounting it on or near the dash, but found this to be a cleaner look.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:50 am

Cool Antanna - where did u get it ?? Brand?? 20 bucks is s deal. Long ago 30+ years we all just mounted the regular antanna under the car & insulated the mast with rubber grometts . worked good back then.
    PDXvanman
    PDXvanman

Post by PDXvanman Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:53 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:Cool Antanna - where did u get it ?? Brand?? 20 bucks is s deal. Long ago 30+ years we all just mounted the regular antanna under the car & insulated the mast with rubber grometts . worked good back then.

AutoZone...but, I've seen the same/similar thing at many different stores since.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:04 am

Great Look Southern

Is that an original Ford color?
    You mentioned that you have to put the door rubber back on....
    can I ask what kind of tool you used to take it off neatly..and what kind of clear adhesive are you going to use to put it back on with.

Jim
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:13 pm

My first time to see your thread southern man, good lookin' van you've got there. Have you done anything with the interior yet?
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Casimier,
    The paint is a 2007 PT Cruiser color.

I put the door rubber on with a 3M adhesive my paint guy recommended. Comes in a tube in black or yellow. I chose black. Took my time and kept it pretty neat. Touch up with Naptha if necessary.

Taking off the rubber wasn't too hard. PO had done me a big favor and replaced all the seals in the Van. Adhesiive wasn't too old so I just used a razor blade to separate the rubber from the metal. Lightly sanded away most of the residue.

Crowen,
    I've been doing little projects, but interior mainly is waiting for me to rewire the whole thing. I bought a Ron Francis kit and have mounted the fuse box but need to get going on the harder stuff. I actually hoped to do more this week but its been quite cold here for the last couple of weeks and my garage has no heat. Usually that isn't a problem. Decided to put the stereo head in the glove box. Hated to lose the storage but it will look much better than slung under the dash. Especially if I get one of those skirts, which I'm looking for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:47 am