VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
m1dadio
Digz
6 posters

Cooling system curiosity

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Cooling system curiosity Empty Cooling system curiosity

Post by Digz Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I have my fill neck mounted in-line on the upper radiator hose because my rad sits a couple inches below. I put a 16 lb cap on the radiator and a 9lb on the fill neck and then hooked that to an recovery tank. After noticing it was getting alittle warmer than it had been and the tank was actually gaining on coolant and the system seemed to be emptying itself out , I had the idea to switch the high and low caps and re hook the tank to the lower overflow. I'm not sure if this manuver will gain anything or even makes any sense. I may have found the problem afterwards in a slightly loose lower rad hose connection, allowing the system to vent instead of pulling back thru the tank? Anyway, should it make any difference where the recovery tank is hooked to once the system is full?
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Cooling system curiosity Empty Re: Cooling system curiosity

Post by m1dadio Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:05 pm

It shouldn't make a difference as long as the recovery tank is connected to the lowest presure cap.

You would normally want the recovery tank conected to the highest point in the cooling system so air in the system will be blead off.

You might want the recovery tank to be below the conection. That way the tank won't drain every time you remove the rad cap. Like mine does.

M1D

Last edited by m1dadio on Sun May 02, 2010 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:28 pm

You might have air in the system,,,,,if you are filling it from the hose, the radiator can't bleed off the air. Get one of those lift lever caps and put it on the radiator to bleed off the air while filling the system and pop it open a few times to see if there is air in the system. Maybe run a hose from the overflow back to the other cap to recirculate the coolant. You shouldn't really be getting any overflow out of the radiator unless there is a problem or its really hot. You might have air pockets in your system that heat up and build up high pressure or a head gasket leak. I would put a pressure tester on it and run the engine and see if the pressure builds up fast. And is the heater core trapping air because the radiator is lower? Maybe bypass it and see if the system acts better.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Sat May 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat May 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Took it out as is today, hitting the flea market and a couple yard sales , ice cream stand, just a good round the really big block cruise, no sign of anything leaking or over heating, will pop the cover tomorrow and see where the level is at.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Mon May 03, 2010 8:36 pm

just currious about the 2 different pressure caps on a 2 cap sys.
    they will work just like a chain, only as strong as its weakest link.
    9 lbs of pressure will be all that sys will hold. I`d tee them togeather
    and to a recovery tank with 16lb on both caps.
    the higher the pressure the higher the temp before boiling over,
    just something to think about.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue May 04, 2010 3:50 am

I checked it cold the next day after the little tour, the fluid level was at the lower cap which was the 9lber, but i had gotten rid of the leak in the big lower hose , the temps were doing fine. I switched them back to the original positions
    again for now 9 on top 16 on bottom, going to run it around some this after noon and recheck again. I think you may be exactly right on T-ing 2 16s together. I was thinking old school top tank rad with the 9lb cap, I am running a cross flow, it seems to make sense to me , my thinking was the 9lb on top would be the weak point but the pressure may be way to low for the set up , thanks for the suggestion, I will try that.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Mon May 17, 2010 5:47 pm

I made the switch to 2-16 lb caps and T'd the overflow hoses together. It is working the way it's supposed to now. The coolant is staying completely full in the system and the recovery tank is doing it's job. The temp holds steady at 185-190 right with the thermostat. Thanks for the excellent suggestion Panelmanrd !
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Mon May 17, 2010 7:00 pm

was just a thought, glad it worked. always great to see one run
    cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Cooling system curiosity Empty Bleeding air...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sun May 30, 2010 6:09 pm

I've got an old mercedes that is a bear to bleed. Will overheat till it is bled. The trick, one of a few, is to drill about 3 little holes in the collar (don't know if that's the right word) of the actual thermostat. Allows it to bleed air and move just a tad of coolant while cold. Save a little overheating by waiting or it to warm up to bleed. Will try it on my van as the geometry for all the parts is about the same.

And, I use as low a pressure cap as I am to keep them running as the lower the pressure the less likely is a catastrophic failure like a hose blowing. Of course, if you aftermarket A/C it will be hard to get around low pressure caps. I leave high pressure to the race cars and new cars that are way overdesigned IMHO.

Happy motoring, Mark

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:03 am