VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Vapor lock

64Handivan
    64Handivan

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2008-11-14

Vapor lock Empty Vapor lock

Post by 64Handivan Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:21 am

Hey guys,

A question about vapor lock. I am certain we have all dealt with this before. I have had this happen a couple of times recently. I recently put a new gasket on my sending unit due to gas leaking out the top of my tank if I filled up. It is sealed better now and it is no longer leaking.
    I am running an electric fuel pump that is mounted next to the gas tank. I put one of those glass see through in line filters accessable from the doghouse. I am still running the original carter yf carb, after a couple of rebuilds, of course. The bulk of my driving is in town. I am guessing that it is happening now due to the new seal, as I do not smell fumes any more which was most likely helping vent the system better before and, of course not being as much of a danger to someone flicking a cigarette butt close to the back of the van and causing the obvious.
    My real worry here is that Bonnaroo is coming up, and there are long lines of idling in hot weather most likely a couple of hours of inching along until inside the festival grounds. No way my van is going to survive it considering the last couple of times. Any one have suggestions.

Rerouting fuel lines? Some way of insulation the lines? A better system of venting back into the tank?

How about an awesome fuel injection system for this old six? ...Or a gm/chevy inline with factory fuel injection?

Cool
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Vapor lock Empty Re: Vapor lock

Post by Nightmoves Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:05 am

I'm no expert but,I'd check the gas cap first.It may not be venting.Replacing seal fixed leak but might have been the only air tank was getting.As a foot note,I never been a fan of those glass type fuel filters.Scared they might develop a leak.The stamped out metal ones worked just fine.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:39 pm

i have the problem of hard starting after a hot run. it has to do with heat on the fuel line. get a nasty vapor lock which takes a lot of cranking to overcome. i rerouted and insulated the fuel line, i routed the line to pass through where the fan will blow on it, and off the block completely. i also put in a spacer to help with the build up of heat in the carb which helped for a while but now that it is hotter i need to reroute the line. even though i'm in canada we live in the only canadian desert which can be very warm up to 41 degrees celsius for weeks at its worst. otherwise just the placement of the engines in these vans causes most of the grief, i had a 1982 toyota van that was difficult to maintain in the summer as well.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:29 pm

I doubt its vapor lock,,,,,it's heat soak,,,,,the carb is flooded out ,,,the heat builds up the pressure in the fuel lines and it floods out,,,,,and an electric fuel pump makes it worst,,,,,,too much pressure,,,,,,,what I do is put a fan on top of the bellypan and turn it on when you park ,,,,that cools down the carb and your biggest problem will be overheating and that fan really helps if you are not moving,,,,,,,,,,run a test,,,,take a house fan,,,,,put it under the bellypan blowing up towards the radiator,,,,,,let it run for 15 minutes after a hot run,,,,,,,see if you van is happier starting,,,,,,,,,,,see if it is cooler,,,,,,,see if it stops smelling from gas,,,,,,,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Please replace that filter! As a tech, I've had many cars with those that had drivability issues, and have heard of others that had them break and cause fires!!!
    After that, drive it with the cap off and see if that helps. At that point, try to reduce heat as Donivan65 says.
    64Handivan
    64Handivan

Post by 64Handivan Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks guys,

I will give it a few tests throughout next week and see how things go. Cool
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Vapor lock Empty Tho I'm no straight 6 expert...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 am

I agree with the prior note that it is more likely the residual heat from the way these have the exhaust and intake manifolds connected--boiling gas in the carb bowl... Am thinking about a way to exhaust heat and fumes out of my doghouse. Am planning a little blower system like those found in inboard motor boats. Best would be something that would run for 10 or 15 minutes after shutdown. Of course I'm cheap so it will be something cobbled together out of stuff laying around. Another thing is I plan on removing my heat riser as I've found them, over the years, to be a lot more trouble than they are worth. And, when they get stuck or the cooked, rusty spring fails they just don't work anyway. Now, if anybody knows a way to remove my heat riser (the butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold) without removing the manifold I'd really appreciate the response. Not to steal this thread yet I think both could have a relationship to overheated intake/carb boil over.

Thanks and happy motoring, Mark
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:30 pm

,,,,,,and just how many of you are checking and lubing your heat rizers?

Vapor lock Rizer_12

Vapor lock Rizer_11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:45 pm

,,,,,,I don't know about that idea about removing the flapper inside that heat rizer,,,,,,it diverts the exhaust down to the exhaust pipe,,,,,,,now if you remove it, the exhaust is free to go anywhere it wants once it hits the back of the exhaust manifold,,,,and surely some will choose to go up to the intake. And maybe things will be worst than before,,,,,,
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Vapor lock Empty Good point about the heat rizer...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am

probably best just to leave it in and make sure it fails in the hot position instead of the cold (cooking the intake/carb). There is a special heat rizer lube but once they (usually the spring fails) they tend to get stuck easy.

Thanks much for the heads up, Mark
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:46 pm

I don't see any good coming from a heat rizer that is stuck closed,,,,,it puts more heat to the carb and restricts the exhaust flow. So people should remove their exhaust pipe and peek up in the exhaust manifold and see IF the flapper moves freely and IF it is stuck in the closed position,,,,

Vapor lock Repai135

Vapor lock Repai136

Vapor lock Repai137
    64Handivan
    64Handivan

Post by 64Handivan Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Just a question guys. What about those Langdon Stovebolt cast iron headers? How would they work with an original yf carb setup?... considering this issue. Would they have any effect. Positive or negative or not at all? I still have not gotten around to running all of these tests yet. Thank you all for the discussion... it is interesting. I have had no issues in the last few days, however it has been cooler and my trips have been short... only a couple of miles each, and very little traffic. I have driven a thirty minute interstate trip with no problems. This is my only vehicle by the way... well other than my bicycle. Cool
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:13 pm

I would not leave home without my Hamburger Fan. It has an on/off switch as well as a 60 minute wind up ceiling fan timer on it. it takes care of all the fumes in the doghouse, any boil over in the carb and even lets me sit in LA traffic without overheating,,,,,,,,,,

Vapor lock Pictur14
    64Handivan
    64Handivan

Post by 64Handivan Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:03 am

donivan65 wrote:I would not leave home without my Hamburger Fan. It has an on/off switch as well as a 60 minute wind up ceiling fan timer on it. it takes care of all the fumes in the doghouse, any boil over in the carb and even lets me sit in LA traffic without overheating,,,,,,,,,,

Vapor lock Pictur14

Dude... That's sweet! That may be all I need. I still have the original belly pan installed. I am assuming that was an easy attachment. So as far as driving around... how often do you turn it on? Cool
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:08 am

I turn it on if I see my temperature gauge go up over 200 on hot days or going up mountain roads. But mostly for Hamburgers,,,,,I don't like to go and get my food and bring it back in my van and have eat it with gas fumes and a hot doghouse,,,,,,,so I turn the fan on to cool it down,,,,,if I forget and leave the fan on,,,,,the engine will start bucking because the coolant gets too cold and I have to pull the choke out ,,,,,when I make a long high speed run and stop at a light, I turn it on because the temp starts rising,,,,,, it never overheats, but I like it below 200,,,,,,,and after I get home and put it in the garage,,,,,I run the fan to cool the engine so I can work in the garage without the heat and fumes,,,,,and that timer is great ,set it and forget it,,,,,nothing worst than stopping somewhere having people all around and cranking a heat soaked , gas soaked, flooded out engine ,,,,,that sure spoils the moment,,,,,,I just turn the fan on and have none of that drama,,,,,and those fans are just laying on the ground in Pick a Part,,,,,probably $30,,,,they only want the radiators,,,,,,,,,and it is just bolted to my floor,,,,hanging there on long carriage bolts,,,,,you could bolt it to the bellypan in the same manner ,,,,
    64Handivan
    64Handivan

Post by 64Handivan Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:39 pm

donivan65 wrote:I turn it on if I see my temperature gauge go up over 200 on hot days or going up mountain roads. But mostly for Hamburgers,,,,,I don't like to go and get my food and bring it back in my van and have eat it with gas fumes and a hot doghouse,,,,,,,so I turn the fan on to cool it down,,,,,if I forget and leave the fan on,,,,,the engine will start bucking because the coolant gets too cold and I have to pull the choke out ,,,,,when I make a long high speed run and stop at a light, I turn it on because the temp starts rising,,,,,, it never overheats, but I like it below 200,,,,,,,and after I get home and put it in the garage,,,,,I run the fan to cool the engine so I can work in the garage without the heat and fumes,,,,,and that timer is great ,set it and forget it,,,,,nothing worst than stopping somewhere having people all around and cranking a heat soaked , gas soaked, flooded out engine ,,,,,that sure spoils the moment,,,,,,I just turn the fan on and have none of that drama,,,,,and those fans are just laying on the ground in Pick a Part,,,,,probably $30,,,,they only want the radiators,,,,,,,,,and it is just bolted to my floor,,,,hanging there on long carriage bolts,,,,,you could bolt it to the bellypan in the same manner ,,,,

Dude... There is a Pull-A-Part near here. That will be a fun addition. Thanks for the run down. I'll give a heads up when I get this installed. It should be an easy install.

Cool Cool Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:23 am