VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
benwah
Donn
Vanish
rev.chuck
PDXvanman
63chevyvan?
61econoline
itruns
12 posters

Flat noses at high speeds

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Flat noses at high speeds Empty Flat noses at high speeds

Post by itruns Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 am

This is making me wonder. Mike (Vanishing Breed) was talking about the need to modify/upgrade earlys for safety and reliability reasons (which I totally agree with) and this got me curious:

My 65 with a 200 ci inline six will cruise at 80 but I have built the motor up . My red 66 with the 419hp 347 stroker would do 120 easily but it had disc brakes all around.

I've seen some really Bad A$$ built up earlys, but have only heard one story about driving them at high speed. I may have gotten one up to 80 mph back in the day, but I wouldn't want to push it past that. The story I heard was from a guy with an A108 who said once you hit 100 mph you might as well let go of the wheel because if it gets away from you, there won't be a damn thing can do about it .

Do tires, road conditions or anything else help. I would think the longer wheel base would be desired.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Flat noses at high speeds Empty Re: Flat noses at high speeds

Post by 61econoline Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:49 am

Im thinking "ROLL BAR"
    63chevyvan?

Number of posts : 125
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by 63chevyvan? Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:01 am

My Z/28 powered 64 GMC w/90" wheelbase I had "back in the day" was good 0 -100 mph; too much drag for any sustained speed after that. The
    Van was equipped with 10x15 wheels rear and 8x15 front, so stability was not an issue.
    PDXvanman
    PDXvanman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by PDXvanman Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:28 am

My new-to-me van is a 1967 E100 Super Van / Heavy Duty. It has a BUILT big six (300ci) and upgraded brakes (disk front with Wilwood 4-piston calipers and bigger rear drums). It has decent tires that are virtually new...and, a TALL rear end that makes highway speeds no problem (2.83). It has new kingpins and the suspension has been gone through...

The other day, I took it out on the highway to see what it was like (up to 80mph, or so). Brakes were fine...power was more than adequate...the ride was decent. But, the steering is a bit vague. It reminded me of my sidecar rig (which is also an old chassis with upgraded motor and brakes)...

My conclusion is that all these upgrades make the vans/trucks safer at the same speeds...not safer at faster speeds. That is, the chassis has always been comfortable operating between zero and whatever...brakes and engines make that comfort zone safer in the modern world with modern cars.

Having said that...anybody wanna race? tongue

Post by Guest Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Tires, shocks, springs, steering box, king pins etc all have an impact when you are over 80 with one of these vans. I have N50x15 on the rear and G60x15s on the front. My shocks are all new as are my leaf springs. I added two extra leaf springs. I have new king pins, tie rod ends, etc. on my van so steering is good. These vans are light so high speeds can make the van a bit squirrely but I had a pretty heavy interior in the 66 and a 20 gallon gas tank.
    rev.chuck

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2010-03-08

Post by rev.chuck Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:14 pm

if anything your in gets away from you at 100 your pretty well done no matter what it is. the wife has a 97 vw jetta thing handles like its on rails i was rolling along about 85 down the freeway no sweat usual speed went to make a bend in the road and the rear lifted and id say i was about 4 feet from the barrier before i finally got her collected back up and able to steer it again.

wheel bearing had went bad hadnt started making noise yet. point is everything out there is a rolling death trap some more then other's but its all a risk. make it as safe as you can get it but even better is common sense behind the wheel.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Flat noses at high speeds Vvi-vi

Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:21 pm

80 mph ! you guys west of NJ are crazy.... affraid

Post by Guest Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:51 pm

heres some thing funny, most of my other vehicals i test the speedo out, i love to go fast but in my van i just like to cruise along about 55-60.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:18 am

My van-up handles better than my van, I just have the ol trusty drum brakes. As long as you don't drive like an @ss they work fine. I usally drive 65-70 on the turnpike.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:59 am

When I moved down from Atlanta I had the motorcycle in the back and Bass boat in tow. She held 65-70 all the way! A six hour drive with no problems...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Flat noses at high speeds Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Flat noses at high speeds Empty Wound up Cherokee...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:13 am

I wound my '83 Jeep Cherokee (similar buckboard kind of suspension and high center of gravity) up to about 85mph one time and almost immediately got cut off by some puke in a rice burner. (Should have let him snag my bumper as my nose on his tail would have been his end). Anyway, fortunatly, I had three open lanes to weave back and forth in smaller occilations to keep from rolling over but I had to do everything I know to recover.

Hence, I don't think I'd have the guts to wind up my flattie unless I was really sure of the road ahead and plenty of time to slow for deer or the squirrels who seem to drive little cars around here.

I don't think our short bed (delivery) vans were ever intended to go fast and even with weight in the back I suspect stopping fast is a hell ride.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm with ya CVM1. Got my 84 CJ up to 80-85 a few times..... Scary and Squirrely!!!!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Flat noses at high speeds Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Wookee

Number of posts : 235
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by Wookee Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 pm

I feel comfortable crusing my early in the 70 to 80 MPH range.Rebuilt drum brake system, rebuilt front end, 3:08 rears behind a warmed over 350 crate engine.radial tires on all for corners.
    The deal is you have to Drive it.Be more aware in tune with road conditions,weather conditions and surrounding traffic.
    When it comes down to it i cant think of a better way to go......
    Speedo pegged at 80 the flow master twinws talking smack, a big smile on my face.......

.........Wookee

Post by Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:07 pm

anything over 50 mph in my old girl is a white knuckle affair...
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Cruised down the freeway today at 70 mph with some pretty good winds and she handled like a dream! Bill

Post by Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Flat noses at high speeds Th_blowbelt3
    Last time I stretched the legs on my '67, my belt disintegrated somewhere along the highway. Good thing I was moving so fast, it kept her cool until i coasted to my dad's. Top speed with bad head gasket: 88mph. You should've seen me scramble out after opening the doghouse and taking a steam bath from my vented radiator cap!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:57 pm