VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

My two toys

My two toys Empty My two toys

Post by Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:55 pm

My two toys Empty Re: My two toys

Post by Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:59 pm

This, by far, has to be the most UN- user friendly system to post pics that I have ever run into. Man, I love the site but have reservations about the picture posting system. Thanks for letting me vent!! Larry In East China Mi.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Here you go Larry. Click on 'quote' to see how it reads. There's an icon with a computer monitor that you click on then paste in the pic address.

BTW - Love those L600s Very Happy

My two toys L-600_13 Very Happy
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 740
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:01 am

That pickup is looking like a beast on the back Cool

Need more pics Wink

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 am

Thanks guys, the A100 has an original 360 crate motor. It's one of the ones that were hand built and dyno'd before they were sold. Once upon a time I worked for Chrysler Engineering and had access to a lot of the info and people that made Chrysler what it was in the past. It was rated at 412 HP. I've got 33.00-22.50-15" Hoosiers on the rear with a 4:10 Dana 60 in the rear. I've got a 3500 stall converter in the 727 auto tranny. I think I may need a little more gear in it. It's still a little lazy off of the line. I'd like to cook the hides but have trouble with it. All of the chassis mods were done by a friend of mine, Greg Lydeker of Emmett Mi. He's very talented in custom fabrication. The L-600 currently has a 361 truck style motor with a 5-speed manual tranny. The shifter linkage is really a "piece of work"! There are over 10 heim joints, 3 bellcranks and about 20 ft. of linkage rods. With age and wear, if you hit all 5 gears on the first try, it's cause to stop and celebrate!! I have a 71 440 motorhome motor and I'm gonna install it in front of an Allison at-545 auto tranny. Believe it or not, Chrysler once put Allison's in their school busses and light duty type dump trucks! I found all of the pieces I needed from a fellow on E-bay. The parts were brand new ! The "L" had a two speed rear axle with drum brakes and 22' split rims on it. The front had a standard straight axle with drum brakes . I switched the rear axle to a Dana 70 with disc brakes and the front axle to a "low-pro" axle with disc brakes. The wheels are 19.5" When I brought it home from Annapolis Md. it hadn't been started or driven in 16 years! We rebuilt the carb., put a complete ignition tune up on it and bled the brakes and had an exhaust system fabbed (it was missing!) before we left. I had to re-read my auto shop book to re-learn dwell and all of that stuff! About 100 miles into the trip, I lost ALL brakes (3 of the 8 wheel cylinders let loose!). I just adjusted the emergency brake so it worked properly and kept heading North! What else could you do? You can't get cylinders for it at your local Auto Zone! Being a fulltime firefighter, I'm used to driving "defensively"! As far as more pics, I'll try to put more on the site soon. Thanks for listening, Larry Gill in East China Mi.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 am

iturns, Where in Chicago do you live? We lived in Burbank Il. for 6 years in the late 70's- early 80's. 87th and Central (Parkside Ave.) Larry in East China Mi.

Last edited by firea100 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:39 am

Grew up in Elmwood Park (Chicago/Oak Park/River Forest area). Now I'm up by the WI boarder in Round Lake and my shop is Elk Grove Village.

Done lots of work all over the Chicago area. The guy that I'm suing for $7,000 is at 89th and Harlem.

Do you have any friends or family around here?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:51 am

I have a buddy in Palos Hts. What kind of work do you do?
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:16 am

Storefronts mostly. No more strip malls going up anymore, so we're stuck doing any flat glass work that comes along. Doing some Family Dollars, Dollar Generals and such.

Were you a fireman when you were down here?

We got to get some pics of that cool van-up going here.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:00 am

itruns come to Baker's and see them in person Very Happy
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:56 am

G-Man wrote:itruns come to Baker's and see them in person Very Happy

Planning on it. Got to get a bunch of patching done, then primer, paint and glass. Oh wait, there's that whole cash thing to do first. Just got $500 from the above mentioned SOB, wha-who!

Seriously though, I'm highly motivated to get to Baker's. Can't wait Smile
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:03 am

What a fine looking pair of Dodges! They allways look better in groups of two or more! Cool

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Itruns, Been at the two Dr.s offices with our daughter and new grandson. Long Day, everyone is fine just 6 week check-ups. No I was not a firefighter in Il. I didn't become one until 1993, at the ripe old age of 38! I worked for Xerox Corp. out of downtown Chi. Boy, I know what it's like about money for the toys, hopefully everything in time. Benwah, My roll back bed came from Ct. Lebanon to be exact. I got it on E-bay for $200.00!! With the 8000lb Ramsey winch! The guy said to me " what the hell are you doing coming out all this way for this thing?" I told him that we don't have them in Mi for $200.00!! Thank you for the compliment I've done a lot of the engineering work, now it's time to get to the pretty stuff! I promise, I'll get more pics on today. Thanks, Larry Gill in East China Mi.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:03 pm

My two toys Img_0311

My two toys Img_0312

My two toys Img_0313

now larry see what you started by posting a pic of your L-600. a friend of mine spotted this one and asked me if i was interested. is the pope catholic, does the wife bitch, of freakin course i'm interested but it's 200 miles away. summer is coming and a trip is planned. might be my only trip this summer with all thats going on but it is on the way and i will have a plan in place if it's reasonable. the owner wants a face to face conversation and no phone calls. strange dude, so i am gonna take my "a" to see him, might catch a break on the price. come on lotto win...........
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 pm

Sounds like a plan Jeff.

Maybe you should bring something else so he doesn't think he has a "live one". Suspect

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:36 pm

Go Jeff!!! Keep me posted! Larry In East China Mi.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 pm

JKR, Let me know when you want to put an automatic into the L-600. I have two sets of the Allison adapters to bigblock Chryslers. Everything but the flex plate. But I have the correct part numbers (internal and external balance). Let me know. Oh yeah, get the truck first!! Larry Gill in East China Mi.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Larry G My wife is from Lebanon! That makes two that got away from me that were under my nose!! At least its in good hands, and thats whats important, It didn't get scrapped for a case of beer and a fifth! I see a lot of s-10s dragging unimaginable loads to the local yard. Last week I saw a Dakota with a complete VW bug in the bed!
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:08 pm

believe it or not larry i think a newer powertrain from a dodge truck is what i would do. dodge makes it cummins shakes it !!!

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:49 am

Jeff, Yeah that would be the ultimate drivetrain, they're just a little out of my price range. If they were more affordable I would go the diesel route. Who knows, maybe someday ? Larry

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:21 pm