VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

A 'Deluxe' Question...

A 'Deluxe' Question... Empty A 'Deluxe' Question...

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm not a huge fan of windows, or trim, or long wheelbases... {no disrespect to those of you that are} but when i found this van a few days ago, it brought some questions to my mind...
    A 'Deluxe' Question... Th_IMG_2204A 'Deluxe' Question... Th_IMG_2203A 'Deluxe' Question... Th_IMG_2205
    I was under the impression that the Sportvan Deluxe was more a 1st gen pkg. and there were no 1st gen 108's.. correct? I know this is a 68-70 2nd gen 108. My interest is whether or not they carried the deluxe trim into 90" 2nd gens or not. The belt line trim on this van is in amazing shape. are there more 'deluxe' goodies on this that i've overlooked?
    Because I DO appreciate automatic columns and chrome bumpers!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

A 'Deluxe' Question... Empty Re: A 'Deluxe' Question...

Post by G-Man Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Deluxe is a lose term for our vans really. They just dressed them up a little more (bumpers , side panels , trim ) 2nd gens did have deluxe trim I have seen a few. Before you say no the window vans check out billski sportvan, that van changed the way I feel about window vans forever
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:35 am

I am a big fan of the Sportvan Deluxe! Since I decided to go with a window van, I then wanted to go with the Deluxe, mainly to get the chrome trim. It really looks nice when you go with two-tone.

Their production numbers were very low. In 1965 they made less than 2000. We joke about them being "rare" when we see them come up for sale. There were several last year. But I think that they were probably better taken care of than regular vans, used as a family station wagon instead of like a truck.

I have some Chevrolet documentation about the 1966 models that lists the features between the three models of Sportvan: Sportvan, Custom, and Deluxe. They list every little thing as if there are so many great features, but it really amounts to this:

Sportvan - Optional two-tone paint - Painted wheels to match the body. - "plus Sportvan interior features and appointments" I think this means the plastic interior window trim that doesn't come with the regular Chevy van

Custom Sportvan - Same as above except: "Custom" body side nameplate - colored fiber board door and sidewall panels in the back standard (vinyl optional) - Optional vinyl and cloth seats - "plus Custom Sportvan interior features and appointments"

Deluxe Sportvan - Color-accented full-length body side moldings - "Deluxe" body side nameplates - Bright bumpers and (dog dish) hub caps - Bright left side outside rearview mirror - Bright headlamp and taillight bezels - Luxurious two-tone all-vinyl seat, door and sidewall trim - "plus Deluxe Sportvan interior features and appointments" (this may include the cool horn ring)

I think that's about it. In the end it doesn't amount to that much but I think there's added value to have the Deluxe, since it was the top-of-the-line model.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:07 am

"BIG FAN" of SportVan Deluxes is putting it mildly on how VanAgain feels about them there SportVans,,,,,,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Big fan here too! If I could have found one I would have taken it over the panel I have now without question...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

A 'Deluxe' Question... Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Missed out on a sweet 65 custom before I found the 64. Super clean Alabama van with 66,000 miles on it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 am