VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Need Advice On Where To Make Cuts On the Parts Van

BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Need Advice On Where To Make Cuts On the Parts Van Empty Need Advice On Where To Make Cuts On the Parts Van

Post by BILLS66 Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:01 am

As it gets nicer out I wil be doing some more cutting of of body parts on the 70 parts van.iwas just looking for some opinions on where to make the cuts ,how high up etc? Bill

Need Advice On Where To Make Cuts On the Parts Van Empty Re: Need Advice On Where To Make Cuts On the Parts Van

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 am

It depends on what body panel you want to save, if the next panel (meets the desired panels you want to cut) is already rusty or beyond repair... then cut line with one or 2 inches extra space. Then you can "trim" off the saved panel with spot-weld cutting along this one.

If there are 2 linked body panels, then take them together... just cut around them like said above.
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Need Advice On Where To Make Cuts On the Parts Van Empty Re: Need Advice On Where To Make Cuts On the Parts Van

Post by BILLS66 Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:33 am

No rust on any of it ,I was thinking on the rear corners to cut 6-7 inches above the arch and take the whole thing including around the corner ....Bill
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:45 am

Save what you have room to store,,,,front floor, rocker panels, drip rails,,,,fuel filler box and front windshield frame are always needed,,,,,

Need Advice On Where To Make Cuts On the Parts Van Chevy_25

Need Advice On Where To Make Cuts On the Parts Van Chevy_26
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Post by BILLS66 Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:03 pm

donivan I will be taking as much as I can ,I think I will take the whole rear quarters about a foot over the arch.Kinda nice I have an area behind my shed to store all this out of site. Bill
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:39 pm

,,,,,todays junk will be tomorrows treasures,,,,,,,if you can hang onto it,,,,,,,,,
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Post by BILLS66 Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:03 pm

donivan it's gotten real bad,I don't feel right unless I have some parts stashed /laying around I wonder if the doctor has something for this? Bill
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Bill you can think about it this way, what could you use on the 1st gen if you were to be in a wreck. Some of the body panels will interchange. Hope it doesn't ever happen but you never know.

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Bill we all we a van parts stash for that rainy day.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:22 pm

The Early parts are drying up,,,,,so if you are in it for the long run, hang on to whatever you can,,,,,,sooner or later, everyone needs parts,,,,,,,once they are gone, they are gone,,,,,,,then what are the next Earlys,,,,,,,,Dodge Caravans,,,,Plymouth Voyagers,,,,,Aerostars,,,,,Astrovans,,,,Scions,,,,,Vanagons,,,,?????

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:52 am

BILLS66, I noticed that you're in Oregon. Maybe someday I might go thru there in summer season if I have the chance.
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Post by BILLS66 Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:20 am

63mercury Anytime just give a yell and we'll meet up. Bill

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 pm