VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Gas Mileage Question

Mileage - Gas Mileage Question Empty Gas Mileage Question

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:36 pm

What's the difference between the gas mileage of a 98 Safari 4.3 Ltr Vtech 6, (and what ever stock tranny was in it), and a 1st gen with a 350, (400 hp), and a turbo 400 tranny, highway and city driving.

Anyone think they could ball park that one off the top of their heads?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Mileage - Gas Mileage Question Empty Re: Gas Mileage Question

Post by G-Man Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Off the top of my head the Safari about 20-22mpg's. A early with a V8 about 10-15 mpg. I think the biggest differants is the Safari has a overdrive trans. My 69 with a 307 runs 3600 rpm's @ 70 mph with a turbo350. The Safari w/ a overdrive trans I bet runs about 2200 rpm's @ 70 mph
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Van or car running a small block and a turbo 350/auto the rear gear ratio is an important factor in hwy mpg. Bill

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:03 pm

1st Gen meaning my van, (66G10). And I haven't checked the rear gear yet, but with my 250 I could go 110km tops on the highway so I assume that tells you something. I'm trying to understand how much more it will cost in gas to have the turbo 400 tranny vs a tranny with an overdrive gear.

I know the V8 will cost more but is the difference between over drive and no over drive the same as saying at a 1:1 gearing ratio, (Highest Turbo 400 gear), it cost $100 and at a 1:0.7, (200r4 overdrive gear), it will cost $70.

Is it that easy to calculate, or are there other factors to consider that make more than a negligible difference?

While I'm saving a few bucks on a great deal on this Turbo 400, am I going to be paying $30 more per tank on every road trip?

Heavy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:54 pm

Heavy Pants you hit the nail on the head. Getting a overdrive tran may cost more, but it will be cheaper in the long run
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 am

Remember = We are pushing an iron Box thru the air-not a good thing - and the rear axle ratio is very important as is the final drive (trans-overdrive) ratio in trans. The higher we go on rear axle ratios- IE:= 350-1 to say 300-1 ratios - tjhe more throttle opening we must have to achieve the same speed result! lower gas mileage when we change both from origional-except when having a really low rear axle ratio -IE:= 4.11-1 . Therefore - look @ overall driving - in city or on highways - where will you be using the most. if you might have say a 3.50-1 rear- change the tranny to an overdrive -1st> see how you like it & mileage u get?? Then to rear axle ratios. Also - consider the engine design- 6 cyl. or V-8 & the power they will give you?? For my 5 cents - keep the rear & change the tranny -and compute the RPM drop= 1st with the tranny(new) ratio. to see where the rpm range will be with the rear ratio.
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:54 am

This is an area that I am going to have to look at at some time also. I have the 318 v8 and the stock Auto tranny that was in the truck from factory, but also know that I have 3.91 gears in the rear end, so milage is not great. I have been trying to figure out how many gas stops it would be to hit the Bakers show in MI. king
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 am

Remember this- when using an overdrive trans and in OD- u can figure a 30% reduction in rear gear ratio-give or take a little.---so if u change the rear gearset ratio to a higher ratio-IE:= 4.11-1 to 300.-1 that carb opening is gonna be larger (more fuel usage) for the same speed/ in final gear= Therefore =reducing the fuel mileage -

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:35 am