VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ?

scrubba
    scrubba

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2010-01-18

Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ? Empty Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ?

Post by scrubba Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:36 pm

I belong to several model building forums . Ive been vanning long before it was popular in the early seventies . I owned a van accessory manufacturing co once . I'm more or less retired these days but I still do repair work on Vintage stuff. I also build the Out of the ordanary . One I tried to build a clone of G M C's 1955 L'Universalle Van . I got the body and half the frame built . I got stumped on a decent transaxle . Little was I aware of but the Secret transmission that was used was the Pontiac Tempest unit , 1961-3. Meanwhile as I couldn't find a suitable transaxle , I scrapped the body and sent it to a landfill. Meanwhile I did build a 1-25th scale replica of the van .
    Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ? Index036009
    Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ? GMCenturyofInnovation-B4
    Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ? Hppp_0309_07_z1955_gmc_l_universell
    Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ? RearopenLuniversallevan
    Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ? LTORLUniversallevanCorvetteShark
    Scrubba
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ? Empty Re: Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ?

Post by Scott Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Welcome to the site, always great to have someone new to bounce stuff off of..

I'm wondering if you can shed a little light on something since you used to own a van accessory manufacturing co.

The 'Yamahauler' package has come up on this site a few times, but nobody seems to know much about it. I recently bought a 66 G10 that has the Yamahauler decal on the back windows, but I'm not seeing what features were added to the van. Now, this van is in pretty rough shape, so what was added may be gone.

My question is if you know anything about the company, where they were, how long they were around, and maybe a little bit about what they were about.

Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ? Img_1210
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ? Empty Re: Has anyone besides me noticed that the G M L'Universalle and a Greenbriar are close ?

Post by bugeye bob Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 pm

scrubba i came across the l'universalle the other day while surfing the net never heard of it before than but was definately a cool prototype , willy's or jeep also had a cool prototype that was suppose to compete with the vw bus in the late 50's but was also scraped. the l'universalle would be a great model to build, your looks cool.
    scott i could be wrong but i think your decal refers to yamaha motorcycles, i rode one back in the 70's and i think i remember seeing them at the cycle shop.
    scrubba
    scrubba

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2010-01-18

Post by scrubba Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 am

Scott, now that Ive sen the pictures of your Yamahauler , I vaugely remember either Van- Land of N Ft Worth or mabye Classic Van manufacturing down in Mansfield having this package avalible back in 1978. I never really paid too much attention to " Dealer " type vans as they were aimed at mass markets and NON - truck In participants . Even though a lot of my products did wind up in Dealer vans , I wasn't really trying to please that segment. Scrubba
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks for the info,

Really doesn't matter at this point, it's just a matter taking what's there and making what I want of it. No reason to try and recreate an original.

Scott
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Scott I think Bugeye Bob is correct on the Yamahauler sticker. I too rode dirt bikes back in the 70's and 80's and that sticker was sold at the local Yamaha shop.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:21 am