VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
dix
gravesj
jkr
BILLS66
61econoline
SnarkyPoet
BvrWally
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
RodStRace
14 posters

New A-100 member

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

New A-100 member Empty New A-100 member

Post by RodStRace Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:39 am

Hello, all. I've been lurking for a few days and decided to join.
    I recently picked up a 66 shorty cargo van and a 68 parts PU.
    I'll be stripping and painting the van and installing a 360 I've had sitting plus an auto from the PU.
    I'm also over on the Yahoo group, Moparts and HAMB. I'm currently in AZ, but lived all my life up until 2 years ago in CA. I also own a '40 Plymouth coupe (rod project), a '47 Chrysler Windsor (stock), a '71 cuda race car (down for now) an '04 PT and a '94 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel along with other Mopars.
    Hope to share in the fun here and learn. Maybe even share some knowledge, although I'm not an expert on these lil boxes! Laughing

New A-100 member DSCF1475
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New A-100 member Empty Re: New A-100 member

Post by G-Man Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:51 am

Welcome to the site!!!! Looks like you found a nice van. Look forward to seeing it come along.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:55 am

Hey Rod,
    Welcome to the site. Nice lookin ride you have there!!

The wonderful thing about all of our members is we all know a lot about our vans and it's all different stuff so "we all" learn from each other, that's why we're here. If you have questions just do a search right here in the Forums.. And if you can't find it, just ask and you will get lots of answers!

Again, Welcome!
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

New A-100 member Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:13 am

Welcome! Smile
    B.W.
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2009-12-22

Post by SnarkyPoet Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:48 am

Welcome! Your van looks like it has a lot of potential. Keep us updated on your progress...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks, guys! I've already read almost all the A posts and a good portion of the General too. Lots of good stuff, and sounds like some great people!
    I used to turn wrenches and have a service manual, so I will try not to ask the real basic stuff or stuff that has already been covered.
    The main questions I'll have are related to parts and suppliers. I know a few Mopar-specific good and bad, but the A-100 stuff is even more narrow-focused.
    I'll need all the weatherstripping and seals for after paint, and I'm still looking for a good chrome rear bumper. BTW, the doors will be the ' 68s, so I need the vent window rubber for those. Any input on this stuff and who to deal with or to avoid would be appreciated.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Don't worry about asking questions already covered, thats what everyones here for to help each other. I can't help you with locating parts, but there are members here that can help you. I can tell you this there are some items with all our vans that you have to find used.
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Post by SnarkyPoet Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:49 pm

You can get new vent wing rubber here:

KARR Rubber Manufacturing
    133 Lomita St.
    El Segundo, CA 90245
    Phone: (310) 322-1993 or 1-800-955-5277

I ordered a set for Skooby last year... I think it was $210 with shipping. Ouch.
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:02 pm

welcome looks like a good van to work with.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:58 am

Another question; I have the original mirror stands but not the mirror heads. Some others have been adapted poorly, but at least the stands aren't drilled out. I've looked around and asked but have not found any rectangular mirror heads that have a thin enough and long enough mounting stud to work. I don't want to drill them out either, so if someone knows of a replacement I'd like to know.
    These are NOT the Jr. West coast mirrors with mounts above and below the window, just a single mount with 3 screws.
    As you can see, someone just bolted a flat plate of metal to the stand, then bolted the mirror to that. The front of the stand has a countersink, so it probably had a screw in the front.
    New A-100 member DSCF1425
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:00 pm

just found a picture of another member's (wylee) mirror
    Hope it's okay to use as reference...
    New A-100 member 108mirror
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Rod ,I can't wait to see the pics of your van as it progresses. Bill
    SnarkyPoet
    SnarkyPoet

Post by SnarkyPoet Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Skooby has a replacement mirror on one side that the PO picked up new somewhere. The next time I'm down at the garage, I'll look it over for identifying marks to see if I can figure out where he got it. It's not perfectly identical to the original, but it's very very close.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:54 pm

grote makes a 3 1/2 by 41/2 ( rough measurements ) thats almost a perfect match BUT and theres always a but the mount stud is way to short. so you cut it off flush with the raised flange of the mirror and drill and tap it to 1/4 and use a bolt to fasten it on. at least thats what i did.
    gravesj

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by gravesj Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:19 am

Welcome always glad to see another A100 saved...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks, I'm working on it!
    Another is dying to bring this one back. I grabbed a 68 PU parts truck and will be using the seats, dash, steering column, automatic and brake parts.
    I have it mostly stripped, and have started cleaning all the removed parts from both. Still have to get going on the bodywork; welding up holes, fixing dents and such before blasting it and priming. No rust though! Very Happy
    The 360 engine I've got for it needs stripping and painting, the trans is being built, and I need to get a few more parts before the driveline is set.
    I'm planning on White underneath and inside. It may go White outside, or I may go with another solid color. Thinking about an industrial Yellow, a modern version of EB5 Blue, or a Purple. Metalflake is going to be too much money and labor, plus the door gaps won't like thick paint! No side stripes, I LIKE it looking short and boxy!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731

Post by dix Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:01 pm

wow nice starter van the door seals on e-bay are what i used,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:34 am

Well, I did a trial run on the 68 front passenger door, and boy does it NOT fit! Crying or Very sad
    Does anyone have input on getting the doors/hinges adjusted side to side?
    The door needs to move forward (toward the hinges) about a 1/4 inch or more. Up/down and in/out can be done by the bolts, but this looks like you have to bend the hinges!
    I may just go with the original door if this is going to be a major undertaking.
    I'd also like to get the rear doors shifted more together (open the body gap, tighten the center gap). I know the gaps back then weren't as tight and uniform as modern cars, but would like to make them fit a bit better.
    I also welded up a lot more holes; only a couple more in the roof then tackle the ones in the sides and the 5 that need patches. There are a couple small spots of rust that need patches too.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

try moving hinges around. top on the bottom and so on. remember the pin stays on top. there was no adjustment for closing the front gap and opening the rear other than adding washers to one side of the hinge to move it forward. i still believe all the hinges are the same but its been 8 years sine i did mine and the passenger side door still isn't 100%.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks for the input. I got the rear doors much better, and decided that the passenger door was going to be too much effort so I hung the original door back on. It needs some work, but the replacement did too.
    I'll just keep the old style bare metal doors rather than the later model with the plastic covers.
    I've read that the vent windows changed too, but aside from the inner handle, they sure looked the same. Same pivot point, etc.
    Still figuring the dash out. Do I swap the complete dash or cut out the shifter area and drill the holes for the crash pad and the warning lights.... scratch
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794

Post by Digz Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Hey Rod. I have done the opposite and aquired a 69A PU to redo and picked up a 66van for parts. I was wondering if your PU was a 3 or single window cab? and what your plans are for it? I am going to need a section of roof and door frame and the van roof has some added ribbing that might be tough to work around easily.
    New A-100 member Roof_d10
    This project is all of a year away, but doesnt hurt to check on stuff. At heart Im a Dodge guy to, been running dodge trucks for years, my "hads" included a 68 Superbee and a 69 Roadrunner.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Wing window base is the same the top hinge is the one that varries, As for the dash its pretty much stamped and spotwelded in place. My 68 pickup started life as a 3 on the tree and was swiched over somewhere along the way in its life. There was three diffrent automatic shifters used, 1964, 65-66, and 67-70. Ill have to look at my dash to see if it was just cut or cut and mated to part of another dash. I'll let you know. Do you really want the crash pad? I think they look better without them.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Digz, I've had a couple people interested in the roof, but the shipping is worrisome. I see you are in MI, so it's the same problem. It was a 3 window, but it was hacked early on for a camper.

benwah, my 66 van is a 3 on the tree, I'm swapping to auto.
    The 68 parts PU has a good dash, so it's either cut out both dashes and swap, or cut out the area for the shifter and weld just that in, then bodywork!!!
    I've seen the 3 different cutouts and backing areas for the shifter, but since this is all one donor, I'm just keeping it all together.
    Since the 68 has the ignition moved and the 4 way flashers, the wiring will be different, and it's in a lot better shape. That's why I'm kind of leaning toward swapping dashes.
    More pictures and story here

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Projects&Number=5608645&page=1&fpart=all
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:18 pm

The way to adjust the gap between doors is with shims,just like the factory did. Front,side, or rear doors its basically the same procedure.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:52 pm

the shifter bezel mounts through the dash metal into a stamped bracket that is spot welded into place. a whole lot easier to drill 4 spot welds and use nuts and bolts for reattaching than swapping a complete dash or part of it. same with the dash wing, 4 holes and done. then drill and relocate key cylinder and hazard light.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:38 pm