VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Battery ground wire

richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Battery ground wire Empty Battery ground wire

Post by richie61 Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 pm

My 66 has the battery ground wire mounted to the frame of the battery box. I was reading another post and it said it needs to be attached to the transmission? Does it matter? Sounds like a stupid question but want to get it right in the end.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Battery ground wire Empty Re: Battery ground wire

Post by wideload Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:30 pm

The main ground from the battery usually goes to one of the bolts that attach the bell housing or transmission to the motor. My 65 also has a smaller ground wire that attaches to the battery box/frame in addition to the main ground to the motor. I would say that you definitely need the main ground to the motor so that the starter gets the full 12 volts.

richie61
    richie61

Post by richie61 Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:38 pm

I am having electrical issues so I wanted to make sure it's grounded the right way. It may not have anything to do with the problem I'm having but wanted to make sure. I had my first one 35 years ago and forgot how everything goes.
    Richie
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:19 pm

What kind of problems are you having????

Here's a link that will be a big help with the wiring. Thanks to one of our members, ViewMaster (Carl)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/10035731/-1st-Gen-Chevy-van-wiring-diagram-in-color

richie61
    richie61

Post by richie61 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:44 am

Mike, I only had one ground wire from the battery. In the rain last night I got a second one and attached it to the frame and then to the transmission and it seems to have solved my problem for now. The wiring is a mess. The PO used house wire the single strand type to wire the back lights I guess thats all he had. They work but there not pretty hanging there. The harness that's in the engine compartment is very brittle and melted and hanging there. I am trying to find one that is in better shape now. According to the pictures in my van supplement I bought they should be wrapped and attached along side the valve cover but I dare not do that with them. It ran and started again so I think I am ok for now. The site yous sent me to was very helpful since there is no wire connected to the tempetaure sending gage and I don't want to overheat. At least now I can add a new tempature, electrical and oil goge. If you saw my pictures on the discussion page you will see what I am working with. The instrument cluster was not connected anf the PO had a push button starter switch. So after some work I was able to understand it. I am a printer by trade and haven't worked on a car since I had my 65 in 1977. Having fun with this and hope to get it going as a dependable driver soon.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 am

Glad it helped. I've got a 66 sportvan that has had about the same type things done to it. Haven't found any house wiring in it yet but under the dash looks like a birds nest. Just going to take it one wire at a time and get it dependable.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to post them !!!! Lots of good help here and plenty of info. If it can be done to one of these vans chances are someone here has done it. Good luck with your project. Looks like you've got something solid to work with.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 am