VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Digz
DanTheVanMan
itruns
Scott
8 posters

How much metal should I replace?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

How much metal should I replace? Empty How much metal should I replace?

Post by Scott Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:42 am

I'm no welder, yet..

But I would like to know how much of this I will need to replace. This is rust eating away over both front doors of my 66. Should I just cut the thin strip where the rust can be seen, or should I cut the whole section out up into the roof?

Drivers side,
    How much metal should I replace? Img_1240

Passenger Side,
    How much metal should I replace? Img_1242
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

How much metal should I replace? Empty Re: How much metal should I replace?

Post by itruns Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:48 am

I saw an episode of "Muscle Car" this morning. They welded in a fender vent on a 'Cuda clone. They made the patch tight, tacked in it place, then did a whole bunch of tacks while letting the sheet metal cool for a few moments before hitting it again. They then ground it down flush. They made it look easy.

btw - nice lookin' pontoon sunny
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:12 am

Scott wrote:I'm no welder, yet..

But I would like to know how much of this I will need to replace. This is rust eating away over both front doors of my 66. Should I just cut the thin strip where the rust can be seen, or should I cut the whole section out up into the roof?

Drivers side,
    How much metal should I replace? Img_1240

Passenger Side,
    How much metal should I replace? Img_1242

Scott,
    You need to find how much of the metal is infected. Removing only what you can see not only hides and allows the remaning rust continue, it is only a temp fix for a year or so (If your lucky). Remove all the damages area untill you hit "Good" metal (Paper thin is not good). The used a rust converter (Purple Power works great) and then made templates for the areas needing replacement. Then use filler for the finishing work (I use "ALL-METAL", Grerat stuff). Remember METAL REPAIR is just that: REPAIR, not just covering up holes. Covering up is good for about 10 months. Repairing is good for 10-20 years.......... Your choice.... You can pick up a good portable mig welder for under $300 and LOWES or Home Depot.. and they are REALLY nice to have! I also got a electric metal nibbler. These two thing have made my van repair life much better...........

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

How much metal should I replace? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:00 pm

This is just an opinion ,but if you could seperate the roof at the drip rail and replace the section of framework might be a way to go. keeping the flat metal welding to a minimum. either way tho, like Dan said , the rust converter will be your best defense down the road in either case , patch or replace. With that rust there it has me wondering what your windshield pillars look like.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:06 pm

[quote="itruns"]I saw an episode of "Muscle Car" this morning. They welded in a fender vent on a 'Cuda clone. They made the patch tight, tacked in it place, then did a whole bunch of tacks while letting the sheet metal cool for a few moments before hitting it again. They then ground it down flush. They made it look easy.

LOL! Theres a lot more to it than a comercial break! I usually weld 1/2"- 3/4" skip about 3" and repeat. While everything is hot you gotta work the metal with a body hammer. Eastwood has a lot of good body tools.The important thing is TAKE YOUR TIME! Practice on some old pannels if your unsure, build your confidence. Good luck have fun!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:24 pm

I think the van will let you know how much to replace,,,,,run a few tacks on a panel,,,,,if it is hiding rust it will just burn through,,,,,,,like the guys said, you need to find solid ground for the weld to stick to,,,,,,or make a convertible,,,,,,
    hywaychild
    hywaychild

Number of posts : 389
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by hywaychild Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 pm

how nice is the rest of the truck and just what is your plans for it ?? if you just plan on using it for a dailly driver and beating it into the grown then fiber glass in a can (tiger hair) will out last most beaters . if your restoring it for show and you want it to look right you might want to find someone to do the metal work and you can do the rest . sometimes it;s just easyer that way
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks for all the input, really not sure what I want to do with it..

Part of me wants to get my 68 on the road as a daily driver, then completely strip the 66 and rebuild it completely. At the moment I am thinking I may just sell it. Either way I figured I would try and get the replacement metal since a few guys on here seem to be chopping some up.

I will post pics and do an official posting if I do decide to sell it, but here's a few details.

It has most of the aftermarket a/c still, about a 10" x 10" rust hole about 18 or 24 inches behind the doghouse in the middle of the floor, rust above the front doors, around the doghouse, and front floor. Most of the rust is just little stuff. Engine runs great, was told it only had 500 miles since being rebuilt, but I have no way of knowing. Can only find one forward gear.

I'll post more later with pics..

It's definitely worth a restore; just don't know that I'm up to it.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Go with your first thought, get the '68 on the road, and then dive into the '66 as time and funds permit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am