VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Frameless window conversion

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Frameless window conversion Empty Frameless window conversion

Post by itruns Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:58 am

We pulled the side and rear glass from the '66 primer spotted green and white van. I have 4 side vent windows that I'd probably like to change over to frameless hardware. I have the pattern to make the glass.

Does anyone know if this is a straight forward change over? Would I have to change the gaskets too?

I'm going to change out the glass regardless, so I could always get the existing frames blasted and powder coated.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Frameless window conversion Empty Re: Frameless window conversion

Post by benwah Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:09 am

Hi Larry, They switch over pretty easy, Your metal frame hinges are bolted to the body with 4 screws, the newer modles 67-70 only have 2 screws. You need to enlarge the outer holes in the doors to acomadate the late modle hinges. My early modle gaskets were very bad so I swaped them out., But I do think the early gaskets will work. I know you can get new rubber from Jc Whitney. Ill have to look around Ive seen the part#s floating around somewhere. As for frameless hardware the top hinges on our A's are the same as early B modles 70-? but the latch on the bottom is diffrent. However the late A's latch bolts right in place of the early modles. I think its harder to find all the things needed to swap them over than to actually do it. I did six windows (taking my time) in an afternoon.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:31 am

Thanks for the info Ben. I noticed my back doors are late model with the larger holes, but they had fixed glass in them. Unfortunately, it's looking like this thing got a little beat-up over the years (lots of body filler) so I may be looking for some new doors and metal as well Crying or Very sad ,but that's going to be on another thread...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm