VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

hey enbro wiring

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

hey enbro   wiring Empty hey enbro wiring

Post by jkr Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:03 pm

hey enbro. go to www. sweptline.org and find the page there for a wiring diagram for converting from points to electronic ignition. there is a couple there for /6 and v-8 but they are really the same. check it out. the mopar performance conversion kits come with detailed instructions.

hey enbro   wiring Empty Re: hey enbro wiring

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:16 pm

Ya, I've got the wiring. What happened is, I pulled the wiring and box from a '73 Dart and I had it all installed and running but then things started misfiring. I wiggled the black plug at the ECU and it began firing right. I got looking and realized the connectors in the plug weren't making a good connection and the box was messed up too. I decided to buy a new wiring harness from Ma-Mopar and a new orange box too.

I had mounted the box in the doghouse too....bad idea, I think it's too hot in there. I'm going to mount the new box under the dash and extend all the wires. I think I've got the timing all wrong too. I set it a 0 degrees because my shop manual said that, but then it would only run well with the vacuum advance disconnected. So I looked in the book again and realized the 0 degrees is for a motor with CAP, all others should be 5 degrees. Yes, we set it with the vacuum advance unplugged.

It's too hard to tell with a misfiring ecu and wiring that only works when you wiggle it, and when the box gets too hot I think that was causing some misfiring too.

New wires, new box, set the timing right.....then I'll see where we're at and hopefully things will be running better then.

Thanks for your support!
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:12 pm

/6 or the leaning tower of power works well at 10 degrees of advance. just make sure your advance does work or you can experience pinging and overheating issues. all my electrical is beside the battery box.hey enbro   wiring Update017

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:19 am

I'd love to see that photo, can you try posting it again? 10 degrees? That much eh? Okay, I'll try that.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:49 pm

hey enbro   wiring A-100_11

hey enbro   wiring A-100_12

hey enbro   wiring Dsc00510

needed help to copy pics. to old for computer crap. hope these work. as you can see all the electrical for the rear lighting and all the engine back, is located beside the battery.usually wasted space around there so i put it to use.if your van has an old style voltage regulator get rid of it. the wiring heats up and they are unreliable even new. they are usually located under the dash to the right of the steering colum. when they screw up, and it will, they usually burn the harness from the engine to the dash. go to an electronic style and upgrade your alternator to a (2) field wire style. i have a spare regulator mounted. if you look you can see it and a spare ignition module in the travel tool box.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:09 am

You build it and they will come. Hey everyone, this place is looking amazing.

In my first posting here I’d like to mention how great it is having a mountain of information at you fingertips so you don’t have to try and re-invent the wheel time and time again. Thanks for the heads-up on the voltage regulator jkr. Just be sure to reconfigure the wiring at the new regulator as well (it’s simple).

My question for jkr is – Do you have the part number for your upper radiator hose? I just installed an aftermarket aluminum radiator in my ’66 Sportsman with a 318 and yours looks like it might just be what the doctor ordered.

Thanks - Larry
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:40 pm

well i will have to dig through a mountain of old bills to find it . the tag that shows on the hose is faded and unreadable but.......the hose is not what you would think its from. believe it or not that hose was for a pontiac ventura with a 250 six if i remember correctly. all i had was an the original rotten hose and went to a local parts store and started to go through thier stock till i found one that had a lot of the same bends and cut off what i didnt need. if you got a friendly parts guy in mind that will be your best way to go. i will try to find the part number for you though. good luck...jeff
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:01 pm

part # for the hose 71599 gates????????? does not say manufacture name but i think with this number you should be able to cross reference. good luck
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:18 am

Thanks for the info Jeff; I’m sure that‘ll help. Hope that mountain wasn’t too high. Rockauto shows a picture of a Dayco hose, but it isn’t very clear how it kicks. I don’t have a parts guy per say, but sometimes I can snag one of the few counter dudes that can do more than input data.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:33 pm

I didn't realize your have a pickup. Much easier to put all the wiring beside your battery box. I was looking at my van and trying to figure out where to put my module and finally decided on the firewall up beside the voltage regulator. I just have to extend all the wires and run them down alongside the oem wiring harness.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:34 pm

I spent all afternoon lengthening my new wiring harness (carefully soldering each joint and wrapping with heat shrink tubing). I added over 5 feet to each wire. the orange box is on the firewall.

hey enbro   wiring Img_0710

hey enbro   wiring Img_0711

I ran the wire through the van, following the oem wiring harness. Then I soldered the wires under the doghouse into the existing wiring which was good at those locations.

Then the van wouldn't start.

I checked everything, finally becoming convinced I had the distributor wires backwards. I unsoldered and resoldered. Nothing.

I used a different module and got the van to run, but holy crap was it bad! I think it was running backwards! I reversed the wires to the distributor and it ran good.

Turns out my brand new orange box is defective!! Took me a couple of hours of farting around to figure this out...piss me off!

Anyhow, I think it's all good now.
    jkr
    jkr

Post by jkr Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:48 pm

man if thats a mechanical voltage regulator beside your ignition module make sure you have fire insurance on your van or make the change while your at it. when the electronic one fails it just stops charging. when a mechanical one fails get the marshmallows out. been there done it and got the t-shirt with burn holes to prove it.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:02 am

Really!? I've never heard that before, but I believe you. It's an electronic one, good thing!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:12 am