VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Dmichael
6 posters

Powwer assist steering parts wanted

Dmichael
    Dmichael

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2019-01-02

Powwer assist steering parts wanted Empty Powwer assist steering parts wanted

Post by Dmichael Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:24 pm

Howdy,

Call me crazy, but I'm going to set up a stock power assist steering on my 67 A108, 318.

I need the following:
    Drag link (I have the PA valve)
    Pump Brackets
    The bracket that holds the tie rod end of the ram.

Text or direct email is great
    415-699-2580
    davidmichael.fred@gmail.com

Appreciate the help!
    David

Number of posts : 433
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Powwer assist steering parts wanted Empty Re: Powwer assist steering parts wanted

Post by 69 Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 am

For the pump brackets, just look for any smallblock PS-pump brackets.

The ram cylinder is not mounted to the tie rods, but the center link. The other end of the ram is connected to the front axle.
    I'll see if I find some pics from my setup (although removed, currently, as I have not found time to fix my PS-valve).

Dmichael likes this post

Powwer assist steering parts wanted Empty Re: Powwer assist steering parts wanted

Post by 69 Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:52 am

Here's a pic (although not the best) showing the center link connection and the front axle connection.

Powwer assist steering parts wanted DSC_0199-

Post by 69 Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:52 am

OH, you're from Portland,OR? My charger is from there Smile

Dmichael likes this post

66BC
    66BC

Number of posts : 159
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by 66BC Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:39 pm

Did the dodges come stock with power assist? I’m doing a power assist setup on my Chevy van with some 70s ford assist parts. I’m on pause on that due to other events but can’t wait to get her finished. My control valve is in the drag link and cylinder attaches to straight axle on one end and center rod on the other end. I bought the ford stock hoses but will need to have them modified/shortened to fit the van. I’m adding a hydro boost to complicate the project even further lol

Post by 69 Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:14 am

Power assist steering was obviously an option at least in '69 and '70.
    At least it is shown in the parts book I have at hand for 69-72 light duty trucks.

Dmichael likes this post

gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Post by gary h Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:22 am

Dmichael likes this post

Dmichael
    Dmichael

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2019-01-02

Post by Dmichael Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks Gary!
    Just got em!
    gary h
    gary h

Post by gary h Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:10 pm

No Problem Smile
    dashshifter
    dashshifter

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2020-07-12

Post by dashshifter Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:38 pm

I've got a PA setup on my 70 A108 that I'm trying to get functional. Just about to get the hoses replaced, and the seals on slave cylinder. Bought a new pump from Cardone, and seems to match right up to the old pump brackets. Not sure if the PA will gush once back under pressure. If so, not sure I'll want to double down on it. None of the Bendix parts seem to source back to Dodge, so not sure of match up.
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:25 am

Can you post pictures of the components? I’d love to see a close up look. Especially how the drag link looks. Did you have the control valve refreshened up or rebuilt too? Seems you’re doing everything right and getting new hoses, pump, and seals. If you didn’t do the control valve yet, a hydraulic shop can rebuild yours. If you don’t want to double down on it, I might be interested in getting it off your hands.
    dashshifter
    dashshifter

Post by dashshifter Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:28 pm

I posted some pics to FB site.
    dashshifter
    dashshifter

Post by dashshifter Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Got it removed and not 100% on where each hose went. A bit of a hack job on the existing hoses.
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:32 pm

I don’t see it on the FB site. I’ll keep looking. Can you provide the link? You can take the control valve and cylinder to a hose shop and have them make you custom hoses. Napa can make custom hoses too. All these PA parts are definitely pricey to rebuild. Each hose at a custom hose shop in the valley is about 100 each. They take your connection ends to make new ones. I’m not sure how much Napa is.
    dashshifter
    dashshifter

Post by dashshifter Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:42 pm

Shop quoted me $250. But reusimg my fittings. I bought a seal kit for the cylinder. I dont know the history so not sure if I'm replacing the OE parts or matching up to parts the last owner used.
    66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:51 pm

gary h
    gary h

Post by gary h Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:18 pm

Lares Co. Rebuilds Pumps ,Rams and Control valves if you have a Good core.

66BC likes this post

66BC
    66BC

Post by 66BC Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 pm

gary h wrote:Lares Co. Rebuilds Pumps ,Rams and Control valves if you have a Good core.

When I had my donor (FORD ) power assist parts rebuilt I shopped around locally and in the end decided to mail them in to ROCKAUTO who offered rebuilding service. Turns out Lares Co. is the rebuilding company they used. It was a pretty penny to rebuild my garrison control valve and garrison ram cylinder. That's the price to pay if you have rare parts, but it'll be reliable. Some people can rebuild the Rams themselves by cutting them open. Sometimes you have to replace the rod if its scratched up. I left it to the pros.
    gary h
    gary h

Post by gary h Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:43 am

I did that too a couple years ago too. It was a better price than sending directly to Lares. A few months ago I was checking into having my steering gear done that way ,but they no longer offer the Rebuild service with Lares. So now one must deal Directly with Lares.
    Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:35 pm

FYI...

Blue top steering gears (bluetopsteerimggears.com) rebuilds the rams and controls.

They did a good job on my steering box and I will have them rebuild the power assist setup that I picked up for my 67.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am