VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Transmission Valve Body Interchange

gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Transmission Valve Body Interchange Empty Transmission Valve Body Interchange

Post by gary h Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 am

I may be needing a Transmission Valve body and I am wondering which ones will interchange ? I have a Stock 1968 727 W/Small block. and looking for a Stock replacement. Thanks in advance. cheers
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Transmission Valve Body Interchange Empty Re: Transmission Valve Body Interchange

Post by RodStRace Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:35 pm

I don't have the 1st hand knowledge or experience to tell you XX-XX years, with these identifiable features. There were early VBs ('65-earlier) with cable shifter, and there was a change in the early 70s VBs with a part-throttle kickdown, but I can't swear exactly when these happened or if there are other things to watch out for.
    However, I would suggest finding either a local racer into vintage Mopars who does their own work, a local long-time Ma & Pa trans shop that would have a guy on staff to answer this (and probably be able to pull one off a dusty shelf) or contact a national performance trans shop. I would not take any written stuff as gospel, unless you can verify the source as very reliable. Many people view hydraulic circuits as black magic, and many 'experts' in this field haven't laid hands on a large enough number of parts to be positive what will swap without comparing. You will also want someone to confirm that your 'new' part has not been modified at some time over the past 50 years and is still serviceable.
    I did a quick search for "Indiana transmission repair shops" and found a bunch of the same big listings you find anywhere, and this guy. He's been doing it for 20 years, races, offers a warranty and is a member of the trans association. His site isn't too flashy, either. I have never heard of him before and obviously don't know his work, but this is the kind of place to contact to find out more. I am not saying he IS good, just that it checks off many good vibes.
    http://www.skaggstransmissions.com/

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 pm