VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

More cubes ?

Keith D
Keith D

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2016-11-25

More cubes ? Empty More cubes ?

Post by Keith D Wed May 22, 2019 10:13 pm

In the future I plan on rebuilding my 318, but I have also considered swapping it for a 360. But I didn't really want to have to change my oil pan, balancer, flexplate, motor mounts, and more.

I came across this crankshaft a while ago and have done a little research and this may be a good way to go to give the little 318 some more torque and hp and not have to change out the for mentioned hardware.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-P5007257-Crankshaft/dp/B007NPUGUO

Has anyone done this to there motor? any thoughts?

Keith
lws67
lws67

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2012-06-20

More cubes ? Empty Re: More cubes ?

Post by lws67 Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:18 pm

I assume you are somewhat familiar with all the stroker kits out there and such? IMO, you'd be big time money ahead, and have less machine work etc if you went with a 4" stroke Scat crank and related components. There are complete rotating assembly 390 stroker kits for the 318 out there for decent prices, have to maybe notch the lower end of the block for rod bolt/nut clearance is about it I believe. That crank you refer to is way too much $$ compared to current offerings.
Keith D
Keith D

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:06 pm

I have seen the larger stroke kits, I don't really think that I need that many more cubic inches. If I recall right it works out to be about 340 something cubic inches with this crank.

Like you said then you need to notch the block, probably need a new oil pan, a bigger carb, new heads to feed that many inches and I believe that then everything needs to be externally balanced. I recently bought a new balancer and flex plate and don't want to re-buy every thing again.

I figure with a little extra stroke I can keep my current 4 barrel, heads, oil pan, etc.

I read a Q&A at Summit racing and someone said that Keith Black makes some pistons that will work with this crank, but I will have to verify that.

I have some more research to do but it may be a way that I want to go.
kiwimopar
kiwimopar

Number of posts : 676
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:51 am

A lot of effort for a mere 22 inches....have you looked at the 408 small blocks based on the 360?

I put one in my A100....and apart from the usual teething problems and upgrades, I am pleased I made the change.

https://blueprintengines.com/products/408-ci-stroker-crate-engine-small-block-chrysler-dressed-longblock-fuel-injection-bpc4083ctf

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:25 am