VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON

rekbender
    rekbender

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2018-01-07

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON Empty A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON

Post by rekbender Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:00 pm

My 1970 A108 steering would occasionally make a clunking sound on a hard turn. Last fall, I noticed the drag link was cocked to it's extreme on the pitman arm, and loose enough to swivel easily by hand. I searched here and found a number of posts discussing the scarcity of NOS A100 DS 702 drag links, as well as some negative comments on the expensive ($250.00 + shipping) reproduction Rare Parts  RP25757 drag link. The steering clunk seemed to be occurring more often. I started searching eBay for a new DS 702. Nothing turned up for months, so I went ahead and ordered the repro part from Rare Parts. It appears to be a nice piece, although it differs in construction from the old OE drag link - it's two separate threaded parts held together at the steering arm end by a heavy, 4" long sleeve swaged permanently in place. This sleeve was the reason (along with the high price) some people complained.  The sleeve doesn't bother me - a lot of eBay searching had turned up NOS MOPAR drag links assembled with swaged ends, and they didn't look as stout as the Rare Parts drag link. I haven't found any first hand reviews of the RP25757 - anyone here care to comment? The RP 25757 shaft diameter is marginally bigger at 1.03" versus OEM at .93" and the DS702 at .96". As it always happens, a DS702 turned up on eBay in February so I went ahead and bought it too - I couldn't help myself. On the way to and from a cruise in yesterday the clunking finally became too much. Since the old one is off now, I thought I post some pictures of the three drag links for comparison. Which of the two new ones would you use?

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON Dsc09619
    Top - old drag link , middle DS702, bottom RP25757

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON Dsc09620

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON Dsc09621

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON Dsc09622
    RP25757 sleeve

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON Dsc09623
    The sleeve is 1/8" thick

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON Dsc09624
    RP 25757 are undercut for greater travel

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON Dsc09625

sweetvan likes this post

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 738
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON Empty Re: A100 DRAG LINK COMPARRISON

Post by kiwimopar Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:21 pm

I would have to check my records for the exact model/part number of the new drag link I bought and installed....but I do know it was sourced from Jegs.  I bought it in 2010....so I will need to go deep into my records.  Looking at the pictures, I suspect it is the Rare Spares version.  My original one was flogged out and beyond repair.
    OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:52 pm

I honestly think you would be fine with either. Once you decide and want to sell the unused one, let me know.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:26 pm

kiwimopar wrote:I would have to check my records for the exact model/part number of the new drag link I bought and installed....but I do know it was sourced from Jegs.  I bought it in 2010....so I will need to go deep into my records.  Looking at the pictures, I suspect it is the Rare Spares version.  My original one was flogged out and beyond repair.

I found a screenshot of the one I bought...it was the Rare Spares one...from Auto Zone.

Last edited by kiwimopar on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    rekbender
    rekbender

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2018-01-07

Post by rekbender Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:57 pm

kiwimopar, thanks for the comments and your trouble. I decided to go with the Rare Parts drag link. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty (for what that's worth) to the original purchaser. If yours has lasted nine years, that's good enough for me. It has solved the steering noise, and the steering wheel is still straight so it must be the correct length.

OutofSight, I don't think I'll need a spare. If the Rare Parts link lasts 9 years, I'll be too old to drive the van by then anyway. I think I'll keep the extra one for a few weeks just to be sure. I'll send you a PM if you're still interested in buying it then.

kiwimopar likes this post

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 am

rekbender wrote:kiwimopar, thanks for the comments and your trouble. I decided to go with the Rare Parts drag link. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty (for what that's worth) to the original purchaser. If yours has lasted nine years, that's good enough for me. It has solved the steering noise, and the steering wheel is still straight so it must be the correct length.

OutofSight, I don't think I'll need a spare. If the Rare Parts link lasts 9 years, I'll be too old to drive the van by then anyway. I think I'll keep the extra one for a few weeks just to be sure. I'll send you a PM if you're still interested in buying it then.

No problem...mine is a rare Spares link...but mine does not have the large swaged end like the one pictured.
    Still giving no trouble after all this time.
    Cheers, Roger
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:01 pm

If you have the nos one, install it, then check your spindle stops to insure they are set correctly, adjust them so that both spindles hit the stops at the exact time, until there is no clunk, along with not making such hard turns.  Learn to know the limitations of 50+ year old technology, and drive it accordingly. I've got an nos one on mine and no issues ever. But then again I'm not cranking the steering wheel left or right ever. I see no issue based on the engineering, It's likely self induced due to where things are adjusted.

kiwimopar and sweetvan like this post

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Post by kiwimopar Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:56 pm

Just dropping in a gain to say after 12 years now....not a lot of miles ...maybe 5,000 or so.....my drag link is still running fine. No issues here.

gmytych likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am