VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
rekbender
2frogstowing
6 posters

Help please

2frogstowing
2frogstowing

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2019-04-02

Help please Empty Help please

Post by 2frogstowing Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:01 am

So I'm currently attempting to repair the wiring in my 69 A108. I have ordered the factory repair manual from a reputable company but I am highly impatient and my ADHD has me chasing wires like a cat chases a mouse. I've got the key ignition, starter and starter solenoid all repaired and replaced with new parts. I've also replaced the cap and rotor, points and ignition coil. I am not getting any spark at my plugs. I am probably missing something simple but currently I'm lost and the schematics I pull from Google are worthless at best. Can I run a pig tail from the battery to the coil to catch the voltage or is there some way to get a spark without waiting for USPS to finally deliver my repair guide. Thanks in advance, peace and much love to my Van Outlaw brothers
rekbender
rekbender

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2018-01-07

Help please Empty Re: Help please

Post by rekbender Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:47 pm

With a jumper wire, just connect battery positive to coil positive, coil negative to distributor, and crank the engine. If the points are clean and set correctly, and you have a good, correct condenser, you should have spark from the coil secondary tower. Do no leave the jumper to the coil connected when the engine isn't turning, or the points may weld if they are closed with the engine stopped. Chrysler used a ballast resistor in the ignition primary circuit to limit current to the coil at low engine speeds. This resistor is by-passed by a connection on the starter solenoid while the engine is cranking to provide a hotter spark when starting, so check for good connections at the resistor (check to make sure the resistor hasn't failed) and starter solenoid. I have a reprint of the '70 manual, and it's schematic isn't much help.
2frogstowing
2frogstowing

Post by 2frogstowing Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Thank you so much Rekbender for the information, you have saved me hours of time. Much appreciate the aim in the right place
Dan Scully
Dan Scully

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-07-30

Help please Empty Wiring

Post by Dan Scully Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:01 pm

These are nice also , factory diagram in color.

https://www.classiccarwiring.com/dodgetruck/
donivan65
donivan65
Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 12125
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:40 pm

The ballast resistor should cut down the voltage to 6 volts at the positive terminal of the coil,,,,,if you got or put juice to that terminal, then take a test light, hook it to ground and test the negative side of the coil while cranking the engine,,,,,the test light will blink if the points,condenser and breaker plate ground are doing their job,,,,,
2frogstowing
2frogstowing

Post by 2frogstowing Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:46 pm

Thank you so much for the information, between your advice and the first gentleman's I should have this girl burning gasoline tomorrow. I bought 5 gallons of ethanol free. Appreciate it Mr Donivan
2frogstowing
2frogstowing

Post by 2frogstowing Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:14 am

Question: from my ignition coil, does the positive or negative lead go to the distributor?
68vanman
68vanman

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-09-29

Post by 68vanman Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:06 am

Here's what I've done. I copied the pages from the manual and color coded the lines with marker to help me find each end a little faster. I'm not done with it yet.

Help please A100_a10
Help please A108_e10
2frogstowing
2frogstowing

Post by 2frogstowing Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:47 pm

I am using the exact same diagram. I bet you are the guy who scanned and posted it somewhere. Thanks buddy, that's the only schematic I've found that's accurate
jkr
jkr

Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Help please Wiring10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:01 am