VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Tailgate fitment

misterbee
    misterbee

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2014-12-30

Tailgate fitment Empty Tailgate fitment

Post by misterbee Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Hey ePup folks,

I've been working with my shop on the bodywork for my 1962 ePup.

After putting the tailgate back on the truck, we noticed some fitment issues. Specifically, the tailgate doesn't seem to fit flush with the left and right rear quarters.

Can anyone comment on whether this is normal or not? I don't recall how well it fit before we started the bodywork. Right now, the tailgate protrudes about 1/4" on the left and right sides-- rather than being flush with the quarters.

Comments?
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Tailgate fitment Empty Re: Tailgate fitment

Post by jdlaugh Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 pm

I don't know if that's normal, but my tailgate is not a flush fit. The top is near flush but the bottom is out quite a bit. I rebuilt mine as best I could and some of the issue may be my build, but it's pretty clear that on my truck the quarters are not square/vertical. The quarters are pretty solid and needed minimal work, so I'm guessing the "out of plumb" condition was a factory option .... Suspect

Wolfster
    Wolfster

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2016-08-27

Post by Wolfster Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:10 am

Due to them being tailgates, they were known to bow, twist, dent, etc.. Anytime you're doing a build or repair of the corners and/or tailgate, you have to do them in conjunction with one another. You will be an expert on installing and removing the tailgate before you're done.

Checking for square is as simple as measuring diagonally from corner to corner.
    Use a 6' straight edge both horizontal and diagonally to check for any bow in it.
    Test fit it without the rods/hinges first. Make sure you have an even of a gap as possible on both sides.

Keep in mind this was a truck. Even from the factory the panels, doors, gaps, etc., probably weren't flush or even. Then, thank your lucky stars it's only the tailgate and not the front doors.
    Canada17
    Canada17

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2016-03-21

Post by Canada17 Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Mine is the same way. Flush at the top, out a bit at the bottom.
    misterbee
    misterbee

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2014-12-30

Post by misterbee Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Canada17 wrote:Mine is the same way. Flush at the top, out a bit at the bottom.

When you say "out a bit", how much do you mean?
    Wolfster
    Wolfster

Number of posts : 140
    Registration date : 2016-08-27

Post by Wolfster Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:26 am

Look at the design of the tailgate and it's hinges. Most stock setups I've seen are out at the bottom. 3/16 - 1/4" seems to be the norm. If the out at the bottom is within a 1/16" on both sides, then you know the bottom of your tailgate is relatively straight. There really isn't any adjustment you can do to bring it in other than tighten the hinge housing bolts. If they're already tight, that's basically the end of your adjusting.

Personally, I never cared for the stock tailgate hinge setup and kick out rod housing at the bottom. All the nice smooth lines and rounded corners and then you came to the tailgate. lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm