VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Distributors+Oil Pumps+ Earlies

DaGroats
    DaGroats

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2015-06-24

Distributors+Oil Pumps+ Earlies Empty Distributors+Oil Pumps+ Earlies

Post by DaGroats Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:03 pm

I've convinced myself it's time for the Load a Matic distributor to go.
    I'd really like to either put in a DurasparkII system, Pertronix distributor and EI setup, or even a Mallory Unilite.

But there's a problem.

All the above mentioned options use the 5/16" oil pump drive and of course my 1963 170 will have the 1/4" drive. -I feel this in my bones-  The only distributor I can find online with a 1/4" drive will be of course another Load a Matic... Which is what I don't want.

Now here's the question:
    Can I swap in a later model 5/16" drive oil pump assembly? Or, should I get a 5/16" drive shaft and have the machine shop resize the oil pump end?
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Distributors+Oil Pumps+ Earlies Empty Re: Distributors+Oil Pumps+ Earlies

Post by Seth G Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 pm

I believe the distributor bore is different somehow as well. The guy's over at https://fordsix.com/index.php can help more with this dilemma. Your idea of having the 5/16" drive machined for your distributor on one end doesn't sound like a bad one. Assuming the 5/16" drive oil pump will bolt up.

After posting that I realized that won't work. You'd still have the LoM distributor Evil or Very Mad
    DaGroats
    DaGroats

Post by DaGroats Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks Seth,

I think you may have imagined the driveshaft backwards. Put the 1/4" machined end into the pump and 5/16" into the new dizzy.

However, it's all moot since I went out and pulled the dizzy. Guess what? It's got a 5/16" shaft in it - go figure. All the resources say it should be a 1/4" being that the build date was early 1963.

Now, which new distributor do I want?
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:56 pm

That's awesome. My 170 was a C1(61) casting and it had the 1/4" drive. You want the distributor from a 78 Fairmont 3.3 ltr. You can use the ignition harness from any duraspark II vehicle, I don't think it matters if it was a v6, l6 or v8, although f-150's 4.9 ltr 77-85 or so are pretty plentiful in the yards. Otherwise all the connectors are available from rock auto except for the harness side of the distributor plug.
    DaGroats
    DaGroats

Post by DaGroats Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:59 am

Yeah, I was a little stunned because the engine guides I'd looked at all said they didn't use the larger shaft until well after my truck was made. This could also explain why in the Mallory catalog they have a distributor for up until 1962 and then a different one from '64 on; but none for '63.

A surf around Amazon seemed to show 2 styles for the DS I6 distributors: 1 with a dual advance actuator and 1 with a single. I got the single and a box etc for a 1978 Granada with a 200. Plus I got the connectors to build a harness. I'm all in for less than $200 which leaves me plenty if I decide to replace the carb also.
    It's hard to find a car more than 10 yrs old out here in the wrecking yards and when you do find the places that deal with "classics" they want a mint.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:07 am

Yeah, you want the one with the single vacuum port. Pre efi 80's f150's are still pretty common around here. That's where I got my harness. Good luck with your swap.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Are you going to keep the scv carb?
    DaGroats
    DaGroats

Post by DaGroats Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:27 am

I am. I found an article about blocking off the signal ports for the SCV and you can use the ported vacuum.

http://www.63fordfalcon.com/articles/autolite-1100-carburetor/96-drop-a-load-o-matic.html

If that doesn't work I'll replace it with a non SCV one from my local vatozone. I think an 1101 doesn't have the SCV, and it's got an automatic choke to boot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am