VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

GMC Jacke's van

JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2016-05-06

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Empty Re: GMC Jacke's van

Post by JackeFriend Sun May 17, 2020 5:49 pm

vanny wrote:Jacke, I showed my wife a picture of your scooter and she loves it...when I first met her,she had a red Honda 125. She tells our grandson that one day she'll get a motorcycle with a sidecar so he can ride with her!
Anyways, the scooter is really moving along and you're doing a bang-up job! I guess if you get it done too quickly before Goldie comes home, you might have to find another project to work on... What a Face We all know how patient you are when waiting for work to be completed on Goldie. Razz

Keep up the good work but maybe pace yourself a bit... Very Happy

Thanks, tell your wife the 125cc is a big motor compared to this little bike! LOL Chopper mama. VVvvrrrooommm. I hope she gets one!
I wanted a side car but with such a little bike I would be able to take one Dachshund for a ride at a time without over load! LOL Laughing talk about miniature. Imagine how little the side car would be... like a clown car! jocolor lol!

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Minisi10 ---(Vanny)
JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu May 21, 2020 7:22 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Steeri10

That is what I would consider a re-manufactured gearbox, which is far better! Next power steering is in the plans! Just getting the steering box rebuilt would be great enough, with the added power steering upgrade, I am set for some easy steering and turns that will be smooth not like a wrestling match!

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Drivin11
tter.
vanny
vanny

Number of posts : 13956
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 am

Great!
That'll make it more enjoyable for you!!! Very Happy

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 am

JackeFriend wrote:
vanny wrote:Jacke, I showed my wife a picture of your scooter and she loves it...when I first met her,she had a red Honda 125. She tells our grandson that one day she'll get a motorcycle with a sidecar so he can ride with her!
Anyways, the scooter is really moving along and you're doing a bang-up job! I guess if you get it done too quickly before Goldie comes home, you might have to find another project to work on... What a Face We all know how patient you are when waiting for work to be completed on Goldie. Razz

Keep up the good work but maybe pace yourself a bit... Very Happy

Thanks, tell your wife the 125cc is a big motor compared to this little bike! LOL Chopper mama. VVvvrrrooommm. I hope she gets one!
I wanted a side car but with such a little bike I would be able to take one Dachshund for a ride at a time without over load! LOL Laughing talk about miniature. Imagine how little the side car would be... like a clown car! jocolor lol!

I think I WILL build a side-car! What fun and kinda silly! LMAO

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Minisi10  ---(Vanny)
JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat May 23, 2020 2:19 am

So it seems the seat from over seas will not arrive until maybe July? Ok floating across on a raft I assume.  Rolling Eyes
Anyway I am not able to wait to sit on the bike until July. So I took the old seat frame as broken and old as it was and resurected it into a usable temporary seat. I had all the materials around the garage so it was no cost, at least. Not perfect, bit it will have to do until the ral seat comes. cheers

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Seat110

Last edited by JackeFriend on Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
savage
savage

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 am

Great job Jacke. You got it running??/
JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sat May 23, 2020 7:10 pm

I had to wait for the new exhaust stud nuts and the new accelerator cable. Now I need a new screw for the handle perch a 8mm Philips. The nuts and bolts are specific to the Honda, but I did find some at the hardware that worked for a couple areas. But by Tuesday, I will have everything I need and can attempt the first kick over. I put the carb back together and new fuel lines and a little filter between the tank and engine. Gas is in the tank and I have the Honda oil to put in on Tuesday! The headlight worked, it and the tail lights have new bulbs, I am getting a new brake light switch too. The key switch is not a perfect fit so I am figuring a good way to hold it into place without drilling a hole. I have to do the wiring and get the old new wires married. I am no electric motorcycle mechanic! LOL affraid so I have been stalling a little!!
I have only the ability to try.  Colors are colors, and I can attempt the rewire of the simple 4-6 wires. I bought new butt connectors and that will be on Monday's to do list.
Remember this bike was a 30+ lost cause, that no shop would even consider fixing for $$$ money! LOL
I am excited and apprehensive as I put it together myself with no real mechanical knowledge.
So when it gets started next week, I will feel like a "winner, winner chicken dinner". Arrow
vanny
vanny

Post by vanny Sun May 24, 2020 5:12 am

Nothing motivates more than someone telling you it can’t be done for a reasonable amount of mula $$$...I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that Tuesday is successful! Good Luck next week! Twisted Evil What a Face

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri May 29, 2020 5:51 pm

Well the bike started right up third kick! I have not figured out the right adjustment for the carburetor yet. It seems to be too high of a throttle? But no problems with the engine, just need to get some knowledge on adjusting the carb screws. But I am happy I am having no trouble getting it to start up and run strong. Next I will need to get the brakes checked when moving and tires replaced. My makeshift seat seems to be ok for now. A little something to sit on at least. I will see if I can drive the bike this weekend and maybe post a picture of the little bikes first ride after 35 years! Very Happy cheers
savage
savage

Post by savage Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Cool good to hear you got it stared Jacke. Cool
vanny
vanny

Post by vanny Sat May 30, 2020 3:19 am

JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:57 pm

Well ordered the new set of tires for the Honda today, should get them by Friday. Then off to the little bike shop I found up the street... gonna drop the bike up to get the tires changed and the clutch and accelerator cable adjusted correctly. Also need the brakes checked over by a mechanic. I think safety is important when you are old as dirt! LOL
I think when I get the van back... I will attach two hooks on the wheel wells to attach the bike to with
straps.  I think Russell did it for his motorcycle in his van? Mine is just about small enough to fit just between the two wheel wells, inside the side doors, I think? So when I eventually enjoy a camping trip to the mountains. I will just take the bike for cruising around the campground trails. I am getting excited about having the scooter and my van back this summer to play, play and play! I am glad I did not give up on fixing the old bike. Sometimes I think if you don't try... what else can you do? Anyway all is well in scooter land... tires coming! Finally a Real Mechanic adjusting cables and brakes & tires too. I want a rear rack with a white mesh basket... to carry my little goodies along! Oh I got the brake light and the headlight working too. It does not have blinkers... queen
vanny
vanny

Post by vanny Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:29 am

Congrats Jacke and once you get them back, please post pics or it never happened... lol!

JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:33 pm

So the tires already arrived! Wow over night, I cant complain! I was also able to use the old heat guards fixed enough to work pretty good. At least my leg will have some protection against that hot muffler. Getting closer to enjoying the bike  Smile

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 New_ti11
GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Heat_s11
JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:53 pm

So, I think I am so bored I have gone off the deep end of the kiddie pool. I bid in an auction for another Honda 50... and won the darn thing, also won the auction for the gas tank! Now I have to drive up the coast and pick it up. Hmmm I did not think I would win it for a little $50 bucks? Considering what parts go for it was a steal just as a parts bike... but I do have that second engine which I have been threatening to try and learn to rebuild, so... yes I will try down the road. Just maybe when I get up to living in WA and am really retired and bored. LOL
Cute little bike though...
GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 New_sc11
GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 New_sc10
GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 New_sc12
Scott
Scott

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Hey Jacke,

Electric PowerSteering in this thread might be something to consider.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t56656-theory-power-steering-for-super-cheap-and-no-pump
jrdunn96
jrdunn96

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:50 pm

Getting hooked on those little Hondas?
JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:06 pm

jrdunn96 wrote:Getting hooked on those little Hondas?
Well it started out just fixing an old family Honda we had for 40 years... then I bid on an ebay auction and won the 2nd bike, I really did not think I would get it for $50?
But, I did so there ya go! Now I have to go get it Saturday...Hmmm. I guess you just might win an auction, so think about that 4 hour drive to get the dam thing, just incase you do win!! I do have the old engine to rebuild, so I guess my project has found me, this time. Basketball
JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Scott wrote:Hey Jacke,

Electric PowerSteering in this thread might be something to consider.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t56656-theory-power-steering-for-super-cheap-and-no-pump
Thanks buddy!
But I am going to use the Corvette PS set up, but all reworked for the van placement. Although not an easy upgrade, It will be looking original inside the cab and old school underneath. I am being very patient and waiting for my little baby to come home all beautiful.
The electric style PS is not appealing to my eye. It looks to large & modern for an old van IMHO. I know its really a good option though.
JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:18 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Mark_i10

So Mark was delivering and picking up VCV parts across the USA this last week. I was in WA and he stopped by my place on his way to Montana, Nebraska, Indiana, MN Chicago, Texas etc.
He was kind enough to pick up a front clip I bought from Jim in MN. (No my van is fine), it's a rare piece so I bought it when given a chance. I hope never to need it... LOL
Mark is the man doing work on my van... he is a great resource for all types of van parts and services.

savage likes this post

savage
savage

Post by savage Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Mark had it Well wrapped up to protect it Jacke
He was Real tired when he got to Gorges place(3 am part's delivery) , but came back after some water & out of van time
He wouldn't let me take a pic of his van till he washed the 3000 mi worth of bugs off.
I don't know How he does it?? 2 Old vanner (on Right)with the kid(LOL)
GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Untitl10

vanny and JackeFriend like this post

JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:03 am

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Vacuum11
GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Brake_11
GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Dual_m11

Mark is done with the Power Disc brake installation. After he returns from his USA tour  bounce  he will be taking the van to Xtreeme Xhaust in northern California for a cool system to be installed. Let's just say you will know when I am coming! Vrrrrooommmmm
Then back to Sac for more fixin', my van had needed some real attention for awhile but I was not able to provide it. I am so please to finally get the work I needed completed.
Mark just has a love for these vans and wants to do what he can to make sure they are out and on our roads for many moons to come. Thanks Mark! Basketball

savage likes this post

JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:21 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Front_13
GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Front_14
GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Front_15
!GMC Jacke's van - Page 41 Front_16

Here is the front clip Mark picked up for me in MN. He has cleaned it up now with a wire brush and painted it to protect it from rust, they he put it up in the rafters of my garage for safe keeping. Thanks Mark

savage and vanny like this post

vanny
vanny

Post by vanny Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 pm

Very nice to have a plan just in case...also would look great as a bar What a Face What a Face

JackeFriend likes this post

JackeFriend
JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:51 am

Yep, I think I will keep it up in my WA garage with lights eventually! Very cool to have a spare front clip, I never will use. In 20 years, I will sell it...LOL make a fortune I bet!

vanny likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 06, 2021 8:41 am