VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Homemade/bulit campers

rustytoolss
rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Homemade/bulit campers Empty Homemade/bulit campers

Post by rustytoolss Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:19 am

When I go to van events I use a small tent. (I have a A100 pickup) so sleeping in the cab does not work well (I've tried it..sucks) Have been thinking of building a smallish pull behind camper say 6x8/9/10. I would like to built something that you can standup in at least in one area of the trailer. Like 4.5 foot tall in the front (hitch area) , and 6.5 foot tall in the back.
Those teardrops are OK. But would like to be able to stand up in it. And can not afford a prebuilt camper.
And needs to be lightweight.
Anyone got any plans/pictures/ideas
westcoastvanner
westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Homemade/bulit campers Empty Re: Homemade/bulit campers

Post by westcoastvanner Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:59 pm

I had this tent on the back of my old Chevy 1/2 ton pickup, worked great using the truck bed as the floor of the tent. It used fiberglass rods as the done support just as in regular tents. I was able to stand up in it with no problem, it also folded down very quickly with no effort. I bought it from Sears many years ago.

Homemade/bulit campers 2786_110
rustytoolss
rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks for the input. I'm really looking to build some type of trailer . Something that all the things I will need for the event, can be stored in it , and ready to go at a moments notice. And I'm sure your truck mounted tent would work. Just not what I'm thinking of. I could by a pop up trailer. But most are far larger than what I need. New ones are $$$.
Russell
Russell

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:26 am

rustytoolss wrote:Thanks for the input. I'm really looking to build some type of trailer . Something that all the things I will need for the event, can be stored in it , and ready to go at a moments notice. And I'm sure your truck mounted tent would work. Just not what I'm thinking of. I could by a pop up trailer. But most are far larger than what I need. New ones are $$$.
I built a couple of teardrops, one was for a motorcycle the other was smaller, I was thinking of putting a hole in the floor (trap door) so I could stand up in it while camping.
Homemade/bulit campers Traile10
Homemade/bulit campers Traile11
The smaller one had a 4x8 floor.
Homemade/bulit campers Downlo11
Homemade/bulit campers Downlo12
Homemade/bulit campers Downlo13
rustytoolss
rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:57 am

Those are sweet !! My idea is kind of a reverse teardrop. To be more aerodynamic. With the man door either behind the rear tire/ or at the back (tail light area) . So that the standup area would be at the back.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:08 am