VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Tires again???

playnpossum
    playnpossum

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2014-02-17

Tires again??? Empty Tires again???

Post by playnpossum Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:07 pm

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I've searched the  old post on the topic, and cant seem to nail the answer I am looking for. I've got  a set of 15" police rims for my 70 and want to know what's the tallest/widest tire I can run on the front without modifying the van or suspension?  thanks for any help.  Rick
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Tires again??? Empty Re: Tires again???

Post by dix Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:47 pm

to many varibles new shocks  with new springs ?? new shocks /w old springs
    old shocks/w old springs ?? spring count ?? 2,200 lb springs ?? 2,500 lb springs?? rim width??  tire height??
    you are better off taking the van to the tire store that you know would work with you
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Tires again??? Empty widest tires on a stock front end

Post by dodge A-108 Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:09 pm

playnpossum wrote:I hate to beat a dead horse, but I've searched the  old post on the topic, and cant seem to nail the answer I am looking for. I've got  a set of 15" police rims for my 70 and want to know what's the tallest/widest tire I can run on the front without modifying the van or suspension?  thanks for any help.  Rick
    you cant run a tire wider than 8 inches or taller than 30 on the front. I would shoot for 7X28
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:36 pm

Like Dix said ride hight makes a BIG difference but if I had to guess by your avitar Van I would say 215/70/15 witch is about 26 inches tall and will fit up to a 8 inch wide rim or go for the taller 225/70/15 witch is about 27 inches tall each size is a inch difference but the only sure way is go to a local tire shop I have 215/70's on mine but my front has been raised up a couple inches... Smile ..How wide is the front rims and what size tires are on there now you can go with a wider 60 series tire but you wont have the hight you want...To get a 27 inch tall 60 series tire you would need a 255/60/15 witch is one size smaller than whats on the back of my Van IMO  to big for the front...Tires again??? 105_0410

Post by playnpossum Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:07 am

I have the 2500 lb springs, I'm sure original to the van. As are the shocks but will be upgraded. What I'm trying to achieve is to run the same size tire all the way around so they can be rotated. I just don't want a skinny tire, I'm going with the 15" wheel, to make finding tires easier. Its also what came on my van. I just cant afford to buy a tire and put it on there and risk it looking too small or even worse, being too big and rubbing.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:42 am

with more info comes better answers,
    i had 225/70-15's all 4 corners, with 2,200 lb leafs and new hd shocks,
    But i don't have the back spacing any more, I did not like them , j.m.o.
    to much rubber on the road, that made turning at a dead stop, more stress on the
    steering gear, so I installed the 6" wide tire up front and made a world of differance
    with out affecting how it handled going down the hi-way, If you change the rear tire height
    you are changing the odometer speed, to fix that you would need to change the nylon gear on the
    speed odometer cable , to calibrate rotation info is under dodge links, there is a ton
    of info saved there,

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:58 pm

The spring rating has nothing to do with what size tire you can run and the tire will only be as wide as the rim is so you are not going to have a very wide tire on a narrow rim..!!!..Say the factory style rim is probley 6-7 inches wide and you want a 26 inch tall tire so you can go with a narrow 215/70/15 or a wider 245/60/15 all the way around but to be 100% sure you will have to go to a local tire shop to see what will fit after 45 plus years the springs will sag quite a bit some more than others so the ride hight will vary on every van and without it being at our "Tire Shop" I don't want you to buy the wrong size but at least you have a rough idea.!!!.. Very Happy ..Keep us Posted..Tires again??? 105_0210

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:49 am

the spring size would determine the stance of the van, weather a tire would hit the inner flange of the front fennder or not that was the closest point where the tire could rub when you would turn,
    with your's sitting 2" higher joe you would not have that problem, Shocked Shocked

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:47 am

dix wrote:the spring size would determine the stance of the van,  weather a tire would hit the inner  flange of the front fennder or not that was the closest point where the tire could rub when you would turn,
    with your's sitting 2" higher joe you would not have that problem, Shocked Shocked
    I understand ride hight Dix but if the springs are factory how much have they sagged over the years?? I would think a inch or two I may be wrong...A van that was used to haul cargo would have weaker springs compaired to a van that was just used for transportation...Lets see if anyone else will chime in I am always ready to learn something new on theses van's... Very Happy

Number of posts : 798
    Registration date : 2014-10-14

Post by GMman Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:09 am

I am replacing my 14"wheels with 15x7 Wheel Vintiques from Summit Racing. I wasn't sure what size to go with so I got some cheap ($53) Douglas 215/65R15's to try. The size looks pretty nice and plenty of clearance. Douglas is a cheap tire made by Good Year and I don't know how long they will last but they are good enough for now.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:52 am

what i was saying is i'm running 2,200 lb leafs . His are 2,500 lb that larger spring should hold that van higher than mine , that being said my 1/2 "clearance may be less on his,
    the point where mine was closest to rub should be higher up the tire and closer the center or the largest point of the tire.
    that is why i said there are too many variables

Post by playnpossum Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:02 am

Tires again??? Img_0011
    Late Christmas, wheels arrived today from Cali. 15x7 now I just got to decide what size tires to put on it.
    GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:51 am

This is what I got for wheels.
    Tires again??? Wheel10
    I went with the slim trim rings
    playnpossum
    playnpossum

Post by playnpossum Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:55 am

love that look what size
    playnpossum
    playnpossum

Post by playnpossum Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:57 am

that makes 4 sets of wheels I have for this van lol . I keep finding something I like more.
    GMman
    GMman

Post by GMman Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:03 pm

The wheels are 15x7 Wheel Vintiques. They came in gray primer. I had to paint them black. The trim rings are about 2" wide. I got the cheaper baby moons but I'm thinking about getting the embossed bow-tie center caps.
    Tires again??? Wheel_10
    playnpossum
    playnpossum

Post by playnpossum Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:36 pm

I like the baby moon clean look, I have several diff dog dish caps all factory just diff styles. wouldn't mind the slick look like yours. these are the police wheels I got off ebay.
    playnpossum
    playnpossum

Post by playnpossum Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Settled on Turbo tech 235/60R15 will update with pic when I have them mounted. The Mopar police wheels are 15x7 with 4" back space. I decided on the 235's after trying a 245/60R14 close to the same size but on a wheel with less back space. I wanted B F Goodrich tires but they were $50 more each. All in At $309 Ill learn to love the turbos
    playnpossum
    playnpossum

Post by playnpossum Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:23 pm

Tires again??? Img_0012
    Tires again??? Img_0013
    Tires again??? Img_0014
    Tires again??? Img_0015
    Tires again??? Img_0016
    tires worked out fine no scrubbing this is what I wanted. so 235/60R15s will fit with no mods at least on this A 100 thanks for all the help guys.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 pm