VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Door lock parts interchangeable?

RDR838
    RDR838

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2013-03-10

Door lock parts interchangeable? Empty Door lock parts interchangeable?

Post by RDR838 Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:04 am

Hi folks,

I'm working on a '67 Dodge A108 (Corey Cruiser) which has 6 doors, which makes a total of 4 door locks. Two of those work fine, one doesn't (or I don't have the correct key) and one is an empty shell:

Door lock parts interchangeable? Cz7x

I understood these are not very common (only approx 62-70 vans and trucks, am I correct?). So I will obviously make a wanted-post on this board but if I ain't lucky there I thought I might have the chance to put something together with the parts I have.

Has anyone on here ever worked on these locks? Do any parts of similar locks fit in that empty shell? (those fitting the passenger cars are being reproduced)

I can't go to a locksmith who'd know anything about these locks, I'm in Europe.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8728
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Door lock parts interchangeable? Empty Re: Door lock parts interchangeable?

Post by dix Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:37 pm

64 thru 67 was one style then a minor change in 68 thru 70. I had a earlier one and a locksmith said it could not be re-keyed but the newer one was able to re-key it.

Post by RDR838 Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Dix, thank you very much!

That minor change: Does that mean a '69 lock will not fit a '67 door and the rest of the '67 mechanism?

Again, thank you very much!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:57 pm

no it should work the change was apperance, where the key goes in the older ones were flat the later were concave. look under parts for sale some one posted some but they won't last long..

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:37 pm

I had a guy that does old mopar stuff go through a set of 1966 locks for me.
    They are not simple to rekey like later ones, but he was able to get them all working properly and all the same key (4 door locks, ignition).
    IIRC, he said the front doors were the same as early 60s A body(?), the side/rear were like C body locks. Don't rush out and get these without confirming, it's been a while and I can't seem to find the email.
    The differences are the little arms that work the linkage.

I'd suggest contacting one of the businesses that deal in MOPAR NOS parts. They may be able to put together a set for you.

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:09 am

RodStRace wrote:I had a guy that does old mopar stuff go through a set of 1966 locks for me.
    They are not simple to rekey like later ones, but he was able to get them all working properly and all the same key (4 door locks, ignition).
    IIRC, he said the front doors were the same as early 60s A body(?), the side/rear were like C body locks. Don't rush out and get these without confirming, it's been a while and I can't seem to find the email.
    The differences are the little arms that work the linkage.

I'd suggest contacting one of the businesses that deal in MOPAR NOS parts. They may be able to put together a set for you.

thats good to know, my van door locks dont match the ignition either
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:11 pm

I tracked down the email and talked to the guy. He provided the info and said it was okay to post his info here.
    Front Doors = 62-65 A and B body
    Side/Rear = 1965 ONLY C body

The guy may be able to come up with a set, or (preferably) repair/rekey your used set.
    He said that the last set he was able to put together went fast on EBay.

Here's his contact info.
    Stephen Kirschenbaum
    twodoorpost@verizon.net

He's a BIG Mopar guy from way back and has a great stash of parts for Mopars and an incredible depth of knowledge. Please treat him with respect and only contact him if you are serious about getting the correct parts.

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148

Post by jkr Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:24 pm

these were true "tumbler" lock and key cylinders. they are hard to do if you don't know anything at all about them but simple if you do. as with any key they are cut from 1 to 5 and the tumblers corrospond to the depth of cut. small parts with small springs, need nimble fingers and i don't have them anymore for sure. i hate to say but i remember seeing a kit for one of the dealers i worked for a long time ago get dumped in the trash. what was i thinkin ???
    but these old cylinders were much better than the newer ones that use a flat insert/tumbler. if you can soak them in solvent like varsol for a while they will start to loosen up and if you set them in iodine that works better and faster. iodine will help unstick a siezed engine. just don't have a bunch of cuts or scratches on your hand. chrysler made/ dristibuted a product called dry-slide back in the day. it was a spray on product that dried and left a graphite coating behind. best stuff ever for any doorlock if you can find it. i have 2 cans that are "NOT FOR SALE" and i guard them with my life. used them on my truck and both locks work perfectly after 40+ years. use it on my snowmobile clutch pins too and they never wore out in 12,000 miles till i sold it. go to the drugstore and get a small bottle of iodine and soak them for a day or so, can't hurt, unless you got cuts and scrapes on your hands.
    RDR838
    RDR838

Post by RDR838 Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:03 am

Thank all of you for the useful information. I ended up buying a set and will reuse the two locks I have. Two keys for one car are finde with me, the passenger cars had a separate key for the trunk, so why shouldn't a van for the rear and side doors Wink

Thanks again!

Chris

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:37 am