VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Space Truckin
Chevboner
6 posters

Smokin like a Hippie

Chevboner
    Chevboner

Number of posts : 209
    Registration date : 2012-09-15

hippie - Smokin like a Hippie Empty Smokin like a Hippie

Post by Chevboner Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:31 pm

So today was going to be 65 degrees, so I couldn't resist not cruising my van to work. I gave it a while to warm and started down the block. Before i even got to the stop sing a cloud of smoke started forming right in front of me! I stopped and turned off the van right away. Opened the doors to let it air out I saw sparks behind the fuse box, and ran to McDonalds across the street and asked for a fire extinguisher (just incase) luckily no flames. I pushed the van into a near by parking lot of a funeral home, just as the lot was filling for a service. Also it wouldn't start again and I disconnected the battery to be safe. Finally got home from work and checked out the damage. It appears to be just one purple wire come from the steering wheel down to a connector finally to the fuse box.

Q: Has anyone ever ordered a wiring kit from www.painlesswiring.com or thru Summit? Any suggestions would help... Thanks!

That sums it up so far....
    hippie - Smokin like a Hippie 2013-022hippie - Smokin like a Hippie 2013-023
    hippie - Smokin like a Hippie 2013-026hippie - Smokin like a Hippie 2013-024
    This Pic is sideways

hippie - Smokin like a Hippie 2013-027
    Space Truckin
    Space Truckin

Number of posts : 1279
    Registration date : 2009-10-17

hippie - Smokin like a Hippie Empty Re: Smokin like a Hippie

Post by Space Truckin Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Sorry to hear about that Shocked , just ordered a harness from ENOS Custom Components for my 59 Chevy. They are in San Luis Obispo Ca. Talk to Dennis (805)544-8503 Good Luck! Chose them because they use all aircraft grade wire. Oh and by the way You Need your own FIRE EXTINGUISHER with you at ALL Times. Don't leave home without IT!!!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:50 pm

How did you get the Funeral sticker for your window? Did you let them use it for "cold storage" while you were at work??? LOL

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Chevboner
    Chevboner

Post by Chevboner Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:00 am

Space Truckin, ill have to check them out, Thanks!, i keep puting off getting a new FE just cause i keep forgeting lol, i was also lookin to redue the whole electrical on the van anyway, bad way to do it but i think its about time. Vanny i guess they thought i was part of the service. little did they know...
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:51 am

Man sad to see . Glad it didn't burn the truck to the ground. replacing the wiring is a slow process. look for the reason it happened .some were a power wire went to ground. is my guess.

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

hippie - Smokin like a Hippie Empty Smoking like a hippie

Post by Joe Van Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:51 am

[Just a guess] I had the same thing happen to my to my 75 Chevy van stow-a-way about 20 years ago it was the turn signal switch wires rubbed the steering column shaft and smoked the wires it also got the Ign switch also thank GOD I had a fire extinguisher everyone has a different opinion but I have had the best luck with Ron Frances wiring they will custom build a harness that just plugs it with a very few mods there not cheap but a permanent fix. GOOD LUCK............PS invest in a fire extinguisher you may never need it but if you do it will be the best investment you ever made I don't leave home in any of my 3 vans with out one. JOE VAN.....
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:01 am

I agree with Joe nothing but good things about Ron France. has any one tryed looking at the same year say nova or camaro to see if that would work ??? i'm sure those would be remanufactured.??? just my 2 cents

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

hippie - Smokin like a Hippie Empty Smokin like a Hippie

Post by Joe Van Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:33 am

The fuse box on my 1966 gmc van is the same one as the fuse box on my 1966 chevy 2 nova the problem I see is the front harness for the head lights and turn signal lights will be too long up front you would have to do some spliceing but it should work?? you would probly have to add wires to reach the starter and alt becuase of the mid engine.might be better off having a coustom one made if he cant repair just what shorted looks like turn signal switch shorted out to me alot eayser than the whole harness...............
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:30 am

You don't need an entire new wiring harness. Find where the purple wire shorted to ground, and resolve the problem, then repair the damage.

User this wiring diagram to help you

http://www.scribd.com/doc/10035731/-1st-Gen-Chevy-van-wiring-diagram-in-color

You may need to replace the turn signal switch. They are available from rock-auto and other sources. Part number for the 1st gen turn signal switch is Delco D6202. here's one on ebay for $40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-65-66-GM-TURN-SIGNAL-SWITCH-910821-D6202-/160420900568?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2559d4aed8&vxp=mtr

I believe the purple wire coming from your fuse box carries 12v ignition power from the flasher up to the turn signal switch, where it is routed to your turn signals.

Remove your fuse box from the front wall and inspect it and the wires going to it for damage. Its held on by two 1/4 inch screws. One is under a fuse, so you have to remove the fuse to get at the screw. Inspect the wires in the main wiring harness under the dash. Remove your gauges if you need to to get better access. Slice open the electrical tape wrapping the main dash harness and look carefully at all the wires. Replace any cooked wires and the flasher too. I try to use the same color wire to stay color-coded with the factory diagram. Solder all your connections so they are permanent. You can get purple wire and other colors too at the parts stores around here if you ask for it, sometimes they have it in the back. At the local orielly's here, they have alot more colors than just what they keep on the shelf. You just have to know to ask for it.

I do have one extra 1st gen fusebox in my parts stash, if yours is seriously melted and needs replacement, let me know. kookykrispy@yahoo.com
    Chevboner
    Chevboner

Post by Chevboner Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks a bunch guys!...

Joe Van I think the same thing happened to mine as yours (it was the turn signal switch wires rubbed the steering column shaft and smoked the wires).

KooKyKrispy thanks for the Ebay lead i just bought the turn signal switch and ill P.M. you about that box.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:16 pm