VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

interminent wipers

benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

interminent wipers Empty interminent wipers

Post by benwah Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:28 pm

ive discovered the jeep cjs of the late 70s early 80s had intermitant wipers, the wiper swich is on the dash like our vans. lucky me just scored one of these "rare optioned" jeeps. theres 3 more wires to it than the regular jeep wiper switch wich has 4 wires like ours. i have a Hanes CJ manual there is no mention of this wiper motor or switch. im no wireing genius but is there a way to hook up this wiper switch to our As wiper motor? or would we have to swap out the wiper motor too. its simular to the ones on the mid 80s dodge trucks wiper switch to a small box (some sort of control modual?) then to the wiper motor. any input is apreciated.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

interminent wipers Empty Re: interminent wipers

Post by sasktrini Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:35 pm

I was able to do something similar with my chev by working the box into the system... didn't need to swap the motor. I think you need the switch too to trigger all (variable intermittent, lo, hi). I think all you need is to draw off the wire coming from the fuse panel, then the CJ wiring would be pretty much self contained with it's switch and module. Might need a heatsink on the module too.
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:51 pm

not sure what a heatsink module is? the neat thing about the this wiper switch its the turn the knob style so everything will look stock just use the a100 knob on the switch. after the box theres seven wires makeing a plug to the wiper motor. what do i do with the three extra wires? is that what i use the heatsink for? im glad to hear this will work without swaping out the wiper motor.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:05 pm

the module on older systems generate a little heat. The system I scavenged seemed to have a heat sink on it. Sometimes though, the old ones tend to work poorly in intermittent mode after a few minutes... I believe heat generated in the module. I would suggest even an aluminum heatsink from a computer cpu stuck on to the module before you install it.

Seven wires to the motor... I may have been wrong then. Usually a motor would have a hot and a ground... all the speed stuff gets controlled by a resistor for low speed. If the motor has a resistor for lo speed, you'd have 3 wires... hot in lo, hot in hi and ground. 7 wires makes me think the CJ wiper motor has way more going on, and you likely need it too.

You might try searching a jeep forum to find details on that particular system... that's a lot of wires...

I hoped there might be similarities in what I went through with the Chev, but I know very little about Mopar... sorry. I think the heat sink will be good protection for a module from the 80s... no matter the make.
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:20 pm

thanks ill go over to the jeep site my wife surfs , the only problem is 90% of them are posers- buy a jeep and take it to a shop with an open checkbook or plastic card and they do all the work i went to a few jeep "meets" with my wife . i was amazed on how anal some people are., glad im a vanner Very Happy
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Amen! It might not be too difficult to swap the motor too though... haven't tried it yet. Looks accessible in the A100. What will be more fun is getting the vent panel off so I don't wreck my FARGO letters. If I remember correctly, the motor is above that, so should be removeable.
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:06 am

ive swaped out a single speed motor for a 2 spd on my 65 the only thing i had to remove was the vent tubes. of corse i was going in blind and just felt my way around through the whole ordeal.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:48 am

Later model A's had a variable speed switch. Both my '69 and '70 models did.
    benwah
    benwah

Post by benwah Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 am

really?

Post by Guest Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:28 am

Yup.

Sponsored content