VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Hinge pins

Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Hinge pins Empty Hinge pins

Post by Hellfish Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Is there a trick to removing the door hinge pins? I'm thinking that the bottom end needs to be ground down and then use a drift to pop the pin up.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Hinge pins Empty Re: Hinge pins

Post by RodStRace Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:58 pm

I haven't done it, but that sounds like the best attack plan. Depending on how and where the 'mushroom' is on the bottom, you might try tapping the pin a bit first to see if it will move up.
    I'd also measure stuff first and see if the locally available rebuild kits will work before possible ruining the old stuff.
    One more thing to buy is a long section of rod that fits the bushings, so the hinges can be adjusted to be parallel.
    I'm about to do this on mine (A-100) so let us all know how it goes.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4350218

CAUTION LOUD MUSIC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVozUkfDO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFkYOTKTFgQ

Parts from APW

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name%3AAuto+Body+Parts+%26+Mirrors%2Cwpn_cat_name%3ADoor+Handles%5C%2C+Locks+%26+Accessories%2Cwpn_scat_name%3ADoor+Hinge%2Cuniversal%3A0%29&PN=0+4294953042&VN=0&Nr=AND(wpn_tl_name:Auto+Body+Parts+%26+Mirrors,wpn_cat_name:Door+Handles\,+Locks+%26+Accessories,wpn_scat_name:Door+Hinge,universal:0)&refType=Category&refValue=Door+Hinge+Pin

66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:35 am

Thanks for the info, Rod!
    If it was only that easy!?$$%#@&^ Sometimes the pins are rusted in place and broken in 2 or 3 pieces and can be a real b!#*H to get out! If you see a lot of rust coming out of the hinge be prepaired for some possible headache.
    Try soaking the hinge in nut buster with repeated applications over a several day period to loosen stuck pins. Kroil or 50/50 acetone and atf works well.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 am

If Pins are frozen?/ Rusted- a heat source is needed!- not a hair dryer -a propane torch at least!- heat up= let cool add a penetrating oil - reheat & do same. The top area of each pin is seratted to keep in place also - you must press them from bottom up!
    Hellfish

Post by Hellfish Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:07 am

I don't know that they're stuck. The doors open and close easily albeit a bit stiffly. I just noticed that the bottom of the hinge was swedged. Without grinding of the tip I don't know how the pin would come out.

OTOH, I have no idea how to re-swedge a new pin! I seem to remember that Mack's had replacement pins in steel and chrome. Have there been issues with them fitting? Are there bushings, too? It looks like the pin drops right in.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 am

Grind the bottom off!- Id heat them anyways as to loosen & do add the oils to it & redo all agiin. Then try a punch or press them in a vise -iff iff door?? with a socket -or?? to get moving . The new pins will possibly longer -yet with a seratted area just under head so when installed - will lot back out or be loose .
    Hellfish

Post by Hellfish Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 am

Not those kinds of hinge pins, these... like on a house door. That's what hold the Econo door to the hinge

From Mac's

Hinge pins B-46335-SS_pJPG
    delraydoug
    delraydoug

Number of posts : 210
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Post by delraydoug Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 pm

had a door pin brake in 3 spots.unbolted door. soaked it with penetraing oil and hammered away with a punch. would not budge. ended up drilling it out

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 am