VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+13
AzDon
RodStRace
Billy Pilgrim
Admin
vanny
dan nachel
Joe Van
dix
Wheelie
G-Man
Twinpilot001
m1dadio
DanTheVanMan
17 posters

Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with )

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1731
    Registration date : 2008-05-01

Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with )

Post by Admin Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Do not buy from vintage metal

neondv8

So, In march I had the winning bid on eBay for a nice set of used taillights. And paid for them with in an hour. My funds were taken out and it was shipped four days later a little late in my opinion but whatever. When I got the box from vintage metal/normal Taylor I opened it up and couldn't believe the smell that was coming out of it. Now let me say I smoke cigars but this thing spelled like a straight up ash right that's because it was an ashtray not taillights from Econoline. So I close the thing back up and immediately contacted the seller by email. I waited a week emailed him again waited another week emailed again by the way this was back in March. Finally I got a return email asking me to send the ashtray to some other bider. I didn't do that I sent it right back to them. Waited about another month for my taillights but never got them. I did get an email saying they would refunds only the price of the taillights, not The shipping that I paid for plus the extra shipping back to them. So I put a case on them with eBay. That day I get an email asking me to take it off and that they would refund my money. It turns out he's a member here. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt being that he's on the forum as well. I never got a refund, I never got my taillights and I've been repeatedly private messaging him emailing him and Facebooking only got one reply . Losing 38 bucks is not going to bankrupt me but it's the principle. So I say Norm Taylor you're a crook!!!

Twinpilot001

sad ebayer!!

Post by Twinpilot001 Yesterday at 7:02 pm

Sadly -we live & learn. I have been thru thye same thing yet not with a member here. Now i always open a case against the seller & will not take it off !! That way if ebay determines its refundable - i get my $$ returned -in total! There are some sellers that are NOT reputable and many of us here are aware of who they are too. Yes -it is SAD!! that we want to trust in someone & have them do the right thing -just some dont seem to do that. affraid Id see if by calling ebay & explaning to them whats happened- they might still advise something for you?? Hope so!!

kookykrispy

Post by kookykrispy Yesterday at 11:01 pm

Call ebay. They have a satisfaction guarantee, they will make it right. You deserve to be refunded the original price + shipping. Hopefully you have your shipping receipt from shipping the ash tray back. You will scan it and upload it to the complaint page. Paypal is an ebay company so they can refund your money, even without the seller's consent.

Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Today at 5:55 am

Yes, call eBay direct with something like that, they will make good on it, go beyond opening a case....I've had good results with them, find the number on the customer service/contact link.

Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Today at 7:13 am

Just be like a nice dog - Get bit ----Then ---"Sick-em!!""   Twisted Evil Twisted Evil cheers lol!

Also - ill advise -call early in ur day to  Call=ebay-- u will get an actual ebay rep. & not someone from -Bangladesh!! :afraid: lol! lol!

neondv8

Post by neondv8 Today at 10:00 am

Thanks, That's all good advice. ill let you all know how it works out.

chebby

Post by chebby Today at 1:15 pm

moving this topic to the "buyers beware" thread! sorry you got a bum deal Sad
    Billy Pilgrim
    Billy Pilgrim

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2015-08-08

Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with ) - Page 2 Empty Ebay experience

Post by Billy Pilgrim Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:19 am

I'm an atheist, so I don't buy that bad people are gonna get theirs in some mythic afterlife. I prefer my justice up close, personal, and more immediate. Instant Karma I think the Beatles called it.

Had an experience with a douche on Ebay that goes by "slmustangz" from up in Pennsylvania.
    As a seller he's just a straight up jerk. Bought something that he played bait and switch with (he showed one that was in excellent condition and shipped me a cruddy piece of broken crap). So he starts with asking for payment outside of PayPal, claiming his account is temporarily frozen - through no fault of his own of course. Naturally I decline and send him a cut and paste from Ebay's rules, etc. He gets real crappy and insulting about it... then he makes a threat about me "giving him a good reason to come to Baltimore" 'cuz I filed a complaint with Ebay (including copies of the emails that he sent. I finally get a refund and Ebay gives him a whopping temporary suspension??? What a load of crap! Anyway it dawns on me that I was using my wife's account and her user name makes it pretty obvious that it belongs to a female, and that's when I start to get really pissed.

The reason this anus was getting all bold was that he thought he was dealing with my wife, so I thought I'd give him a little wake up call. Next morning I drive to his house in Pennsylvania (we were living north of Baltimore at the time) and call him on my cell while I'm standing in his front yard pissing in his goldfish pond. What can I say... I have issues. He stands in his front window screaming at me (I'm 6'1" and about 250 lbs.) so I go to the front door to invite him outside once I make him understand just who I am and why I was there. Needless to say he declined the opportunity to get better acquainted, but I made sure that his neighbors all heard the what and why of what was going on before I left (turns out they already knew he was a perfect circle as well).

Later I went through his feedback with a closer eye and discovered that a lot of folks had written bad stuff about him but had filed their feedback as positive to keep him from challenging it or adding crap to it I guess. Then I started contacting some of them directly and boy did I get an earful from several dozen sellers. Turns out his real game is scamming sellers that have 100% positive feedback, and he targets auto parts and muscle car memorabilia sellers in particular - which I'm guessing is also where he gets some of the stuff that he sells.

What he does is buy something from a seller with a perfect rating and a long history of numerous sales, rightfully assuming that they must be willing to go the extra mile to keep that rating 'cuz nobody can sell 20,000 items on Ebay and make everybody happy right? Then, as soon as he gets whatever it was that he purchased, he starts bitching and complaining. One fella up in Michigan had sent him some metal signs... nothing particularly extravagant, maybe $15 or so, so to make the jerk shut up he sends him a replacement and tells him to just keep the first one. Sensing weakness I guess the A-hole turns up the heat and then demands a refund as well. Long story short he got his way and the seller managed to keep his 100% rating, but it wasn't easy or cheap. Ebay's response to this extortion was of course nil, so the jerk just kept doing it. He did finally begin to accumulate some negatives (always with his B.S. and insulting denials attached of course) but I happened to notice that he's cleaned up his act enough to bury the old issues pretty well. Like I said... I don't buy into all of that turn the other cheek crap so for me, once a crook always a crook, and this guys probably still doing the same thing, just slicker about it.

I understand he sells a good bit of Mustang junk (he had one in the drive that wasn't too shabby... except for the new dent in the hood and the scratches down the sides) but if you're a buyer or a seller there I would suggest keeping a wide berth. If you did happen to get burned by this prince email me... I'm more than happy to share his home address.

It's that idiotic sense that being on-line somehow insulates you and offers pick proof anonymity that encourages this kind of behavior, it's all about risk and reward, and as long as the turds are rewarded - they see no reason to do anything but continue 'cuz there appears to be little or no risk. Now thanks to Google Earth, and a little creative sleuthing, it's not too hard to back track these turds and make the risk a little bit more real for them. Not suggesting anyone follow in my foot steps or do anything illegal, I'm just sayin'...
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with ) - Page 2 Empty Re: Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with )

Post by dix Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:36 am

nice story. thanks for posting it. we can enjoy having members like you around,
    your call name should be the sheriff.

Post by Billy Pilgrim Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:25 am

Haha... my neighbor is a retired Marine and likes to tell me that they sleep better knowing that I'm up on that wall. Embarassed

Seems I'm always fighting something... spray drift from irresponsible farmers and crop dusters, crooked town officials paying themselves and family members or getting freebies from contractors that they hire for us, home improvement scammers, ignorant cops... it never ends. I thought I was gonna be able to relax and enjoy once I moved out to the end of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, but it seems ignorant, stupid, and greedy, got here before me. Sadly it's everywhere these days.

Thanks all the same for the welcome though. Been readin' through a couple project builds and learning a lot already... like I think I'm gonna start practicing my welding and stitching sooner rather than later. Darn body work is money, even if you're lucky enough to get what ya pay for. Probably why I always end up with DIY. Wink
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:47 am

Billy Pilgrim - "So it goes..."
    I'm a big KV/SH5 fan and love your story.
    If I ever make it to the east coast, I'll buy you a refreshment of your choice!
    If you make it out near the Grand Canyon, give me a holler and the offer stands.
    Billy Pilgrim
    Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:57 am

RodStRace wrote:Billy Pilgrim - "So it goes..."
    I'm a big KV/SH5 fan and love your story.
    If I ever make it to the east coast, I'll buy you a refreshment of your choice!
    If you make it out near the Grand Canyon, give me a holler and the offer stands.

How prophetic! Married a younger woman (to crush my spirit and piss on my dreams... but then again, don't they all) who never traveled much, whereas I spent a big part of my youth traveling around in my old van or on my bike. So, the early retirement bucket list was to try and take her back to visit some of my favorite places. Between the coast of the northwest and where you're at it's a toss up, but I fully intend to revisit both... hopefully in a vintage van! Either way, thanks for the offer. I'm a homebrew guy at heart, but I never pass up a chance to make an ass of myself with the help of some good tequila.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:03 am

if you take your time,
    ask questions
    do your home work you will teach your self.
    and save a lot of money on your build,
    believe me i use you tube when i don't know what is needed to get mechanical work done

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:21 am

Billy, just went back and read your intro post.
    There is a good bit of resonance in there!
    Hope you find your project and build with the wisdom of a sage, the vigor of a teen and the dreams of both!
    Billy Pilgrim
    Billy Pilgrim

Post by Billy Pilgrim Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:38 am

RodStRace wrote:Billy, just went back and read your intro post.
    There is a good bit of resonance in there!
    Hope you find your project and build with the wisdom of a sage, the vigor of a teen and the dreams of both!

And therein lies the beauty of coming unstuck in time... Wink
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 741
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue May 12, 2020 6:52 pm

I got no funny stories from ebay, but I've had a couple of shady dealings at two well-known shopping sites for car parts....
    CARID and Autoplicity…..
    These two companies are simply vehicles for other companies to move product, operating similarly to RockAuto, PartsGeek and several others, but these two do something a bit dishonest....

They offer some good prices on stuff so you start the process of buying and they start collecting your credit card info before showing you what you'll spend for tax and shipping..... You press next, expecting a full price to be revealed and it says: "Thank you for your order" AND shows you the new higher amount with overpriced shipping.....Both make immediate cancellation next to impossible and you will go through two weeks of greif trying to get the charge cancelled or refunded.....

What I've learned going forward is that I will never again fill credit card info in till I've been given a full price and Carid and Autoplicity can SUCK IT!.... Cancelling or modifying an order within 10 minutes should be allowed anywhere!
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:23 am

Beware of Detroit Iron Information Systems.

I recently bought a CD-ROM version of the 1957-1967 Ford Truck Master Parts and Accessories Catalog.
    The CD was created by Detroit Iron Information Systems.
    The CD was sold by eBay seller faxonautolit.
    The title of the eBay listing is "Ford Truck Parts Book Catalog CD 1967 1966 1965 1964 1963 1962 1961 1960 1959"

Most of the pages were scanned at an angle.  This is normal for a high-speed scan, but could be avoided.
    I glanced through the book and found 9 pages where data from the page was cut off because of poor scanning,  Typically the right side of the page, so you loose the suffixes from many of the part numbers.

Also many of the pages have black lines and smudges that obscure the data on the page.  This was probably a well used manual with dirty pages that was scanned to a PDF file.

The eBay seller has offered a refund. He is just a reseller for this CD. He did not make it.

I just want folks to know that Detroit Iron Information Systems did a poor job scanning this 1957-1967 Ford Truck Master Parts and Accessories Catalog.

Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with ) - Page 2 Page_c10
    Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with ) - Page 2 Page_c11
    Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with ) - Page 2 Intro_10
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:37 am

Thanks for the heads up

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:18 am

members account closed for non  technical reasons

Last edited by dix on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:23 pm

Always a "Buyer Beware" in this day and age where the transfer of funds electronically is soooo easy! It is easy to get scammed! Crying or Very sad

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with ) - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

savage likes this post

panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:55 pm

Van crazy customs, will take your money, promise you items, then ignore you totally like
    you have the plague. Ordered a visor for a second gen Chevy, he texted me letting me know
    it was ready for shipment, son I sent him a check for the visor and shipping, that was mid November,
    nothing, so I tried to make contact, took several attempt to get a reply from this guy, he then told me he had shipped it, I asked him for a tracking number and haven’t heard from him since.

DanTheVanMan likes this post

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7899
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:23 pm

panelmanrd wrote:Van crazy customs, will take your money, promise you items, then ignore you totally like you have the plague.

Panelmanrd: Here's their contact info... Good luck.

Contact Information
    D Mark Hann
    250 Lantern Ln
    Berkeley Springs, WV 25411
    Phone: (304) 839-3352

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Buyer's Beware.. ( Seller's to Avoid or use caution when dealing with ) - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

savage and dix like this post

Skapbil
    Skapbil

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2016-01-29

Post by Skapbil Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:44 pm

panelmanrd wrote:Van crazy customs, will take your money, promise you items, then ignore you totally like
    you have the plague.

Paying with credit card and/or PayPal is a better way to pay for parts.  That way if things go bad, it is much easier to get you $$ back:

More horror stories.  

https://www.womply.com/biz/van-crazy-customs-berkeley-springs-WV/

dix and DanTheVanMan like this post

OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Post by OutofSight Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:36 pm

Good advice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm