VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

New Wiring Harness

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

New Wiring Harness  Empty New Wiring Harness

Post by southern man Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 pm

After much thought I've decided to bite the bullet and get the Ron Francis harness for my '64 econo.
    http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP-67

I'm trying to order this but have run into some questions that perhaps some of you may know the answer to.

It asks me for what kind of alternator I have. The PO installed a 200" 6 out of a mustang, but I don't know what year it came from. The alternator is a one-wire (I assume internally regulated) but it doesn't have a plug. Rather it is directly wired to a junction box that is installed on the dog house, which I suspect is not stock. That box also has a power line from the battery and one going to the starter (and a ground strap from the box to the block). I don't think any of this poses a problem for the new harness, but any advice is welcome.

They also ask for what kind of steering column plug and turn signal plugs (Ford Model U, G. L W, etc) I have. Obviously I don't have a column ignition switch, but what about the turn signal? I guess I'll have to disassemble it at some point but I haven't so far and therefore can't see what kind of plug it needs. Again, suggestions???

Lastly, they ask for what kind of voltage gauge (voltmeter of ammeter) I have, which of course is none. I am going to add some aftermarket guages (temp, oil and voltage) so which way should I answer this question?

Sorry for all the questions. I've never rewired a vehicle before so this will be a new challenge. I'd like to make it as easy as possible so would like to order this correctly the first time. Thanks!

New Wiring Harness  Empty Re: New Wiring Harness

Post by Guest Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:29 pm

get an EZ wire kit instead. They are a lot cheaper and easy to install with every wire marked for what it is for every three feet on the wire.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:11 pm

Basically they want to know what CONNECTORS they need to install on the end of the wires,,,,,,so no big deal,,,,,
    and whatever connector they put on the wires, you can just get the other half off something else and plug your wires into it to make it work,,,,,and since you got a 1 wire, it don't matter which alternator you have,,,,,you won't be using the voltage regulator wires in their harness anyways. I would choose the VOLTMETER ,,,,All the wires are the same, it's just that they want to have the correct connector on the ends of them to make it easier for you to connect the wires to your equipment,,,,,BUT,,,,,no big deal to put another connector on the wire to fit whatever equipment you have or are going to add someday,,,,,,
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:09 am

Good choice for a wiring kit. I've used Painless and EZ wiring kits in the past but the Ron Francis kit has them beat hands down. In my opinion Painless is too expensive for the quality and hardly any tech support. EZ wiring, not to disrespect Vanishing Breed, don't come with the proper gauge wiring for the circuit and a flimsy fuse box.
    The GOV is correct, tell them the 1 wire alternator and volt gauge. For the turn signals, don't worry about the code for the plug, tell them the vehicle and they will take it from there and include it in the kit.
    If you wanted to save a few bucks you could get the 12 circuit kit. I've installed that one in my '37 streetrod with P/windows, P/ door poppers, P/trunk, A/C, Electric fan, Cruise control, Air ride suspension and a Stereo with a modest amp and it handles it with a couple to spare.
    Just my 2 cents worth. You can PM me if you have other questions. Hope this helps!
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:56 am

Thanks to all. I went ahead and ordered the Ron Francis kit with the recommendations made here. I opted for the larger number of circuits just to be on the safe side. It wasn't that much more expensive than the 12 circuit kit, and I only want to do this once! Wish me luck!
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:11 pm

I'm sure you will be amazed on the simplicity of the kit. The hardest problem you might have is where to mount the new fuse box HA. BTW save the bags for each section of the kit as you probably will have enough wire left over to do another van. Good Luck!!
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:53 am

"The hardest problem you might have is where to mount the new fuse box"

No kidding! I keep changing my mind but so far have not come up with a spot that I'm sold on. I want to make it accessible but not visible. Someone mentioned bonding a mounting board onto the front sheet metal and screwing the box to that. Don't know if that is the way to go but it's one idea.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 am