VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Halp :) Distributor is Broken

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Halp :) Distributor is Broken Empty Halp :) Distributor is Broken

Post by slowflapper Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi,
    My distributor is acting up and I'm not familiar enough with the Early dodges to know what to do here. The short of it is that the plate the points/condenser connect to is loose in the housing and it tilts away from the cam when it's turning. This tilting screws up the point gap and the van runs really rough or won't start at all.

I've done some trouble shooting and I have a couple questions, maybe I can fix this one and won't have to go buy a replacement.

First, there is a hole in the side of the distributor and on into the plate inside that looks like there may have been a screw in it 30 years ago, a screw here would solve the problem, the hole is on the end of the screwdriver:
    Is there supposed to be a screw here? Is the lower plate supposed to move as well?
    Halp :) Distributor is Broken Distrib-20101002-00053

Also, there are two plates inside that are joined loosely together (upper and lower), the lower plate appears to be structural although it will spin left/right a little if you move it (because the screw is missing?). I know the upper plate is supposed to move because the arm from the vacuum advance hooks into it.

Here's the upper plate:
    Halp :) Distributor is Broken Distrib-20101002-00056

The hole appears to have maybe been threaded inside at one point but it's too old to really know, if it's a missing screw I can put a small machine screw in there and fix the problem.

here's the lower plate:
    Halp :) Distributor is Broken Distrib-20101002-00057

It's a '65 273 btw,

Thanks in advance Smile
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Halp :) Distributor is Broken Empty Re: Halp :) Distributor is Broken

Post by slowflapper Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:22 pm

How did we ever survive without the Internet?

I cant get a clean link but if you search Google Books for:
    "How to rebuild your small-block Mopar: 273, 1967 & later 318, 340, 360 V8 ...
    By Don Taylor, Larry Hofer"

The answer is on page 100/101:
    "two screws and lock washers in the housing hold the breaker plate assembly"

So the breaker (lower) plate does not move and the upper one does, the breaker plate is held in by two screws, one or both of which is missing from my distributor.

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:11 am

Larry Hofer is a cool guy, met him a few years back.
    I'd suggest cleaning up that one and getting the missing screws back in there or buying a rebuilt dist.
    I posted the Cardone number a while back, with the core it's stiill under 50 bucks, or you can do an EI conversion. It's in your carb trouble thread...
    The service manual should have an exploded view too. I can't find the post with it though.

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Something else to check if you already havent is the dist shaft to bushing play, that also can create point bounce if the bushings are worn out.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm looking at a spare one now, and yes there is supposed to be a screw in the side. I am going HEI, if you want this one for the $12.00 postage in a flat rate box you can have it. Send me a PM with your address and I'll get it in the mail.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:41 am

Guys I really appreciate the help and offers, I ended up buying a re-manufactured one at a local parts store and replacing it yesterday (how lucky is it that they had one in stock!). It's a "Cardone 30-3820" distributor (single point small block mopar), $37.00 with a $30 core charge, can't really beat that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am